Newbie : installing onto XP system. - Debian

This is a discussion on Newbie : installing onto XP system. - Debian ; Please be patient. I have created an ext2 file system and swap space on my second HD. The debian installation manual is damn confusing : it keeps referring to /etc type directories and I havent installed anything yet. Does anyone ...

  1. Newbie : installing onto XP system.

    Please be patient.

    I have created an ext2 file system and swap space on my second HD.

    The debian installation manual is damn confusing : it keeps referring to
    /etc type directories and I havent installed anything yet.

    Does anyone have a simple step by step instruction set to installing this?

    The manual really seems to skip over the installation of the boot
    program where the OS is selected : I'm really lost whether I should be
    using the windows boot loader, LILO or GRUB or whatever. At the moment
    my sytem just boots directly into windows.

    I have downloaded two archives which mimic the Debean DVDs : but they
    are not ISO images. I have no idea what I should do with them : do I
    just copy them to a DVD? What file system? Must they be "bootable"?

    I need hand holding : I'm completely confused - and to be honest, very
    shocked at just how complicated the installation appears to be having
    been convinced recently that Linux flavors have addressed all the
    geekiness required to install & work with that it boasted some years ago.

    Even partition magic which I have used (wizard) to create my new primary
    partition for Debean has neglected to create a new partition for the
    Debean boot files : I'm so lost at the moment that I could sob. Do I
    even need a new primary on my first HD?

    If anyone is willing to help, I'd be super grateful.

  2. Re: Newbie : installing onto XP system.

    Walter Mitty wrote:

    > Please be patient.
    >
    > I have created an ext2 file system and swap space on my second HD.
    >
    > The debian installation manual is damn confusing : it keeps referring to
    > /etc type directories and I havent installed anything yet.
    >
    > Does anyone have a simple step by step instruction set to installing this?
    >
    > The manual really seems to skip over the installation of the boot
    > program where the OS is selected : I'm really lost whether I should be
    > using the windows boot loader, LILO or GRUB or whatever. At the moment
    > my sytem just boots directly into windows.
    >
    > I have downloaded two archives which mimic the Debean DVDs : but they
    > are not ISO images. I have no idea what I should do with them : do I
    > just copy them to a DVD? What file system? Must they be "bootable"?
    >
    > I need hand holding : I'm completely confused - and to be honest, very
    > shocked at just how complicated the installation appears to be having
    > been convinced recently that Linux flavors have addressed all the
    > geekiness required to install & work with that it boasted some years ago.
    >

    > Even partition magic which I have used (wizard) to create my new primary
    > partition for Debean has neglected to create a new partition for the
    > Debean boot files : I'm so lost at the moment that I could sob. Do I
    > even need a new primary on my first HD?
    >
    > If anyone is willing to help, I'd be super grateful.

    One problem just solved : bloody windows hiding the file types of what I
    downloaded. WinRAR picked up the ISO extensions so I didnt realise the
    files were image files files!!!! Doh!!!.

  3. Re: Newbie : installing onto XP system.

    On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 02:59:02 +0100, Walter Mitty wrote:

    > Walter Mitty wrote:
    >>
    >> Please be patient.
    >>
    >> I have created an ext2 file system and swap space on my second HD.
    >>
    >> The debian installation manual is damn confusing : it keeps referring to
    >> /etc type directories and I havent installed anything yet.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a simple step by step instruction set to installing this?
    >>
    >> The manual really seems to skip over the installation of the boot
    >> program where the OS is selected : I'm really lost whether I should be
    >> using the windows boot loader, LILO or GRUB or whatever. At the moment
    >> my sytem just boots directly into windows.
    >>
    >> I have downloaded two archives which mimic the Debean DVDs : but they
    >> are not ISO images. I have no idea what I should do with them : do I
    >> just copy them to a DVD? What file system? Must they be "bootable"?
    >>
    >> I need hand holding : I'm completely confused - and to be honest, very
    >> shocked at just how complicated the installation appears to be having
    >> been convinced recently that Linux flavors have addressed all the
    >> geekiness required to install & work with that it boasted some years ago.
    >>

    >> Even partition magic which I have used (wizard) to create my new primary
    >> partition for Debean has neglected to create a new partition for the
    >> Debean boot files : I'm so lost at the moment that I could sob. Do I
    >> even need a new primary on my first HD?
    >>
    >> If anyone is willing to help, I'd be super grateful.
    >>

    > One problem just solved : bloody windows hiding the file types of what I
    > downloaded. WinRAR picked up the ISO extensions so I didnt realise the
    > files were image files files!!!! Doh!!!.

    That should help a lot. I recently did a Debian install from DVD, and it
    went quite well. Still, Debian has a reputation for being difficult to
    install. You might want to install Ubuntu or from the Knoppix live CD/DVD
    - these are both Debian derivatives.

  4. Re: Newbie : installing onto XP system.

    ray wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 02:59:02 +0100, Walter Mitty wrote:
    >

    >>Walter Mitty wrote:
    >>
    >>>Please be patient.
    >>>
    >>>I have created an ext2 file system and swap space on my second HD.
    >>>
    >>>The debian installation manual is damn confusing : it keeps referring to
    >>>/etc type directories and I havent installed anything yet.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone have a simple step by step instruction set to installing this?
    >>>
    >>>The manual really seems to skip over the installation of the boot
    >>>program where the OS is selected : I'm really lost whether I should be
    >>>using the windows boot loader, LILO or GRUB or whatever. At the moment
    >>>my sytem just boots directly into windows.
    >>>
    >>>I have downloaded two archives which mimic the Debean DVDs : but they
    >>>are not ISO images. I have no idea what I should do with them : do I
    >>>just copy them to a DVD? What file system? Must they be "bootable"?
    >>>
    >>>I need hand holding : I'm completely confused - and to be honest, very
    >>>shocked at just how complicated the installation appears to be having
    >>>been convinced recently that Linux flavors have addressed all the
    >>>geekiness required to install & work with that it boasted some years ago.
    >>>

    >>>Even partition magic which I have used (wizard) to create my new primary
    >>>partition for Debean has neglected to create a new partition for the
    >>>Debean boot files : I'm so lost at the moment that I could sob. Do I
    >>>even need a new primary on my first HD?
    >>>
    >>>If anyone is willing to help, I'd be super grateful.
    >>>

    >>One problem just solved : bloody windows hiding the file types of what I
    >>downloaded. WinRAR picked up the ISO extensions so I didnt realise the
    >>files were image files files!!!! Doh!!!.

    > That should help a lot. I recently did a Debian install from DVD, and it
    > went quite well. Still, Debian has a reputation for being difficult to
    > install. You might want to install Ubuntu or from the Knoppix live CD/DVD
    > - these are both Debian derivatives.

    I moved to Ubuntu : much easier. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread