Hello.

I've set the last Debian distrib on my comp, kernel 2.6.8-2-386 (I'm new to
it)

Last week end, I tried to enable masquerading on the box.

I've done all the stuff (echo 1 > /proc/sys/net... ; iptables -t -A
POSTROUTING...), checked everything, pingued all the interface and so on.
And still, it wasn't working !

And then, I remembered an old experience I had decades ago, with an old
version of Mandrake distrib (kernel 2.2 at that time) and did that :

apt-get remove ipchains

And whoah, then it worked.

So, can someone explain me why ipchains is still walking around in a 2.6
linux distrib, preventing iptables to work properly ? And why Debian still
uses inetd and not xinetd ? Any reason, or it's just to go down to the same
level of quality as Mandrake or Fedora ? (without that, I'm so happy of
Debian; done Samba, DNS, DHCP, OPENVPN so easily).