Installing Debian Linux from CD - Debian

This is a discussion on Installing Debian Linux from CD - Debian ; I have loaded on disk a downloaded Debian CD (another partition already contains Win98SE), all OK, can boot from Windows or Linux but when booting from Linux I enter login and password, some more files are automatically loaded from CD, ...

  1. Installing Debian Linux from CD

    I have loaded on disk a downloaded Debian CD (another partition already
    contains
    Win98SE), all OK, can boot from Windows or Linux but when booting from Linux
    I enter login and password, some
    more files are automatically loaded from CD, then the following line
    appears:
    "my login"@debian:~$
    I think it requests a command but which one ?
    Thanks for help.
    JC

  2. Re: Installing Debian Linux from CD

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:15:42 +0100, JC wrote in
    alt.os.linux.debian:

    > I have loaded on disk a downloaded Debian CD (another partition already
    > contains
    > Win98SE), all OK, can boot from Windows or Linux but when booting from Linux
    > I enter login and password, some
    > more files are automatically loaded from CD, then the following line
    > appears:
    > "my login"@debian:~$
    > I think it requests a command but which one ?

    That's a command prompt, which means that you've successfully
    installed Debian, and you can now type any command you like!

    But that's probably not the answer you wanted. Do you want a graphical
    desktop? If so, you can try "startx" and see what happens. If you get
    a "command not found" message, you haven't installed the necessary
    software during installation. As root, try "apt-get install
    xserver-xfree86". If, however, startx gives a string of informational
    messages and then returns you to the command prompt,, you'll need to
    post the messages and some details of your hardware.

    Also, the Google archives of this group may be helpful: this is
    becoming a Frequently Asked Question.

    PJR :-)
    --
    alt.usenet.kooks award-winners and FAQ:

  3. Re: Installing Debian Linux from CD

    JC wrote:

    > I have loaded on disk a downloaded Debian CD (another partition already
    > contains
    > Win98SE), all OK, can boot from Windows or Linux but when booting from
    > Linux I enter login and password, some
    > more files are automatically loaded from CD, then the following line
    > appears:
    > "my login"@debian:~$
    > I think it requests a command but which one ?
    > Thanks for help.
    > JC

    Is this JC himself?

    When you downloaded a Debian CD, which one? Did you do a net install or
    were you installing from the 1 - 14 sarge binary CD's. If you were using
    the binaries then the best thing to do is when it asks too scan the CD go
    through all 14 CD's and let it scan in the index of each. This way it will
    know which disk to prompt for when it needs a package. If you install the
    desktop software you will get the graphical interfaces (gnome and kde).
    Most everything you'll need will be on the first three CD's. If you have
    trouble starting the graphical interface try:

    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

    If it says that it's not installed then:

    apt-get install xserver-xfree86

    Good luck, but lord please try and give a little more information when you
    post.

  4. Re: Installing Debian Linux from CD

    I have downloaded disk 1 of the Debian serie thinking that it contained all
    of Linux and would install automatically.
    I now understand that I have to learn Linux basics, as I did years ago with
    DOS, before playing with it.
    Thanks to all of you,
    JC

    "JC" a écrit dans le message de news:
    4378e25d$0$19719$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...
    >I have loaded on disk a downloaded Debian CD (another partition already
    >contains
    > Win98SE), all OK, can boot from Windows or Linux but when booting from
    > Linux I enter login and password, some
    > more files are automatically loaded from CD, then the following line
    > appears:
    > "my login"@debian:~$
    > I think it requests a command but which one ?
    > Thanks for help.
    > JC

  5. Re: Installing Debian Linux from CD

    On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:07:01 +0100, JC wrote:

    > I have downloaded disk 1 of the Debian serie thinking that it contained all
    > of Linux and would install automatically.
    > I now understand that I have to learn Linux basics, as I did years ago with
    > DOS, before playing with it.
    > Thanks to all of you,
    > JC

    Actually, it's not necessary to learn a lot of 'Linux basics'. You can
    easily install something like Ubuntu and use it with no great learning
    curve. To use Debian does not require much more, but you need more (or
    less) than one CD. One CD does not include the entire system. It takes
    probably four or five CDs to install a nearly complete system. You can
    also download an abbreviated CD which will install most of the system from
    the internet. The installation is not that involved, you simply need the
    right tools. If you're just starting out, I'd recommend you attempt
    something that installs from one CD - like Ubuntu. You might want to try a
    'Live CD' like Knoppix or Elive first. It loads and runs from the CD
    without installation, but has the option to install to disk later if you'd
    like.

  6. Re: Installing Debian Linux from CD

    ray writes:
    > To use Debian does not require much more, but you need more (or less)
    > than one CD. One CD does not include the entire system.

    The first CD includes everything you need to install additional packages
    over the Net. It also includes all the basics and the most popular
    packages.
    --
    John Hasler

  7. Re: Installing Debian Linux from CD

    On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:24:47 -0600, John Hasler wrote:

    > ray writes:
    >> To use Debian does not require much more, but you need more (or less)
    >> than one CD. One CD does not include the entire system.

    > The first CD includes everything you need to install additional packages
    > over the Net. It also includes all the basics and the most popular
    > packages.

    Thanks for the clarification.

+ Reply to Thread