download? - Debian

This is a discussion on download? - Debian ; Hi All, A website allows users to listen to a non-copyrighted .mp3 by clicking on the link. The file name has a .mp3 extension and plays great thru my browser - at least - no additional process is visibly launched. ...

  1. download?

    Hi All,

    A website allows users to listen to a non-copyrighted .mp3 by clicking on
    the link. The file name has a .mp3 extension and plays great thru my
    browser - at least - no additional process is visibly launched.

    I wanted to save this file to my disk. When I right-click the link, the
    filename offered has a .wax extension. The .wax file contains a few
    entries like this:

    Ref1=http://wms.address.com/nameoffile.mp3?MSWMExt=.asf

    What can I use to bypass this unfriendly format?

  2. Re: download?

    Jim Reston writes:
    > A website allows users to listen to a non-copyrighted .mp3...
    > ...filename offered has a .wax extension.

    Somebody ripped an old Edison cylinder?
    --
    John Hasler

  3. Re: download?

    John Hasler wrote:

    > Jim Reston writes:
    >> A website allows users to listen to a non-copyrighted .mp3...
    >> ...filename offered has a .wax extension.

    > Somebody ripped an old Edison cylinder?

    :-) Smartass. :-)

  4. Re: download?

    Bill Marcum wrote:

    >> What can I use to bypass this unfriendly format?

    > Is the part between "Ref1=" and "?" the same as the original URL?

    Yup. Identical.

  5. Re: download?

    the asf file is a streaming format and cant be, as far as im concerned,
    just saved to disk like a mp3 file. I think you need a special
    application to download and/or convert this asf file.

    Correct me if im wrong.

+ Reply to Thread