Newbie hard driver install info request. - Debian

This is a discussion on Newbie hard driver install info request. - Debian ; I'm a long time MSDOS/Windows user who is trying to get an understanding ofof Linux (my current version is Ubuntu v5.10). My past includes programming in IBM 1401, COBOL, Pascal and some C and a lot of various hardware manipulations. ...

  1. Newbie hard driver install info request.

    I'm a long time MSDOS/Windows user who is trying to get an understanding
    ofof Linux (my current version is Ubuntu v5.10). My past includes
    programming in IBM 1401, COBOL, Pascal and some C and a lot of various
    hardware manipulations.

    My first attempt at learning is to install the SANE front & backends to
    make my Microtek Scanjet 4800 scanner operative. I've downloaded the
    update files from SANE and cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to
    install it. Is there any documentation that I can refer to regarding the
    steps\operations necessary for this attempt? (They will need to be rather
    basic as my knowledge is very skimpy at this time.)

    Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated!

  2. Re: Newbie hard driver install info request.

    Tom Clydesdale wrote:

    > I'm a long time MSDOS/Windows user who is trying to get an understanding
    > ofof Linux (my current version is Ubuntu v5.10). My past includes
    > programming in IBM 1401, COBOL, Pascal and some C and a lot of various
    > hardware manipulations.
    >
    > My first attempt at learning is to install the SANE front & backends to
    > make my Microtek Scanjet 4800 scanner operative. I've downloaded the
    > update files from SANE and cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to
    > install it. Is there any documentation that I can refer to regarding the
    > steps\operations necessary for this attempt? (They will need to be rather
    > basic as my knowledge is very skimpy at this time.)
    >
    > Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated!

    if installed firefox browser use the ubuntu package search engine

    ask for xsane and sane and libsane

    install these files

    maybe they would ask more files then install these as well

    succes

  3. Re: Newbie hard driver install info request.

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:22:26 +0100, Johan wrote:

    > Tom Clydesdale wrote:
    >
    >> I'm a long time MSDOS/Windows user who is trying to get an understanding
    >> ofof Linux (my current version is Ubuntu v5.10). My past includes
    >> programming in IBM 1401, COBOL, Pascal and some C and a lot of various
    >> hardware manipulations.
    >>
    >> My first attempt at learning is to install the SANE front & backends to
    >> make my Microtek Scanjet 4800 scanner operative. I've downloaded the
    >> update files from SANE and cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to
    >> install it. Is there any documentation that I can refer to regarding the
    >> steps\operations necessary for this attempt? (They will need to be rather
    >> basic as my knowledge is very skimpy at this time.)
    >>
    >> Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated!

    > if installed firefox browser use the ubuntu package search engine
    >
    > ask for xsane and sane and libsane
    >
    > install these files
    >
    > maybe they would ask more files then install these as well
    >
    > succes

    I guess my level of "expertise" didn't come across low enough - how does
    one go about "installing these files "?

  4. Re: Newbie hard driver install info request.

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:15:52 -0700, Tom Clydesdale
    wrote in alt.os.linux.debian:

    > On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:22:26 +0100, Johan wrote:
    >
    >> Tom Clydesdale wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm a long time MSDOS/Windows user who is trying to get an understanding
    >>> ofof Linux (my current version is Ubuntu v5.10). My past includes
    >>> programming in IBM 1401, COBOL, Pascal and some C and a lot of various
    >>> hardware manipulations.
    >>>
    >>> My first attempt at learning is to install the SANE front & backends to
    >>> make my Microtek Scanjet 4800 scanner operative. I've downloaded the
    >>> update files from SANE and cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to
    >>> install it. Is there any documentation that I can refer to regarding the
    >>> steps\operations necessary for this attempt? (They will need to be rather
    >>> basic as my knowledge is very skimpy at this time.)
    >>>
    >>> Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated!

    >> if installed firefox browser use the ubuntu package search engine

    [Clarification: if Firefox is installed, it will have a search box
    next to the address bar, including a drop-down which will let you
    change the search engine. One of the configured search engines
    searches for Ubuntu packages and/or documentation. However, this is
    probably not what you want to try first. See below.]

    >> ask for xsane and sane and libsane
    >>
    >> install these files
    >>
    >> maybe they would ask more files then install these as well
    >>
    >> succes

    > I guess my level of "expertise" didn't come across low enough - how does
    > one go about "installing these files "?

    Before searching as Johan suggested, you probably want to try using
    the Synaptic package manager, which is available from one of the menus
    at the top of Ubuntu's desktop, though it might have a "helpful"
    description in the menu instead of "Synaptic". You may need to add the
    "universe" and/or "multiverse" repositories, using Synaptic's
    configuration options, in order to add teh SANE packages. The
    advantage of using Synaptic is that any libraries SANE depends on will
    be installed automatically. With a little luck, your hardware will
    probably be detected automatically during installation too. If not,
    Google is always your friend:

    PJR :-)
    --
    alt.usenet.kooks award-winners and FAQ:

  5. Re: Newbie hard driver install info request.

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:54:14 +0000, Peter J Ross wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:15:52 -0700, Tom Clydesdale
    > wrote in alt.os.linux.debian:

    >>> if installed firefox browser use the ubuntu package search engine

    > [Clarification: if Firefox is installed, it will have a search box
    > next to the address bar, including a drop-down which will let you
    > change the search engine. One of the configured search engines
    > searches for Ubuntu packages and/or documentation. However, this is
    > probably not what you want to try first. See below.]
    >
    >>> ask for xsane and sane and libsane
    >>>
    >>> install these files
    >>>
    >>> maybe they would ask more files then install these as well
    >>>
    >>> succes

    >> I guess my level of "expertise" didn't come across low enough - how does
    >> one go about "installing these files "?

    > Before searching as Johan suggested, you probably want to try using
    > the Synaptic package manager, which is available from one of the menus
    > at the top of Ubuntu's desktop, though it might have a "helpful"
    > description in the menu instead of "Synaptic". You may need to add the
    > "universe" and/or "multiverse" repositories, using Synaptic's
    > configuration options, in order to add teh SANE packages. The
    > advantage of using Synaptic is that any libraries SANE depends on will
    > be installed automatically. With a little luck, your hardware will
    > probably be detected automatically during installation too. If not,
    > Google is always your friend:
    >

    > PJR :-)

    Peter and Johan I wish to give you my deepest thanks - it is now working
    and I have moved to the next level of trying to display and work on the
    images (Gimp I think is my next challange)>

+ Reply to Thread