Problems with security.debian.org ? - Debian

This is a discussion on Problems with security.debian.org ? - Debian ; Pursuant to trying to fix an issue with missing kdelibs4 and libqt3 packages, I tried to do an apt-get update (with an /etc/apt/sources.list that has served me well) : Get:9 ftp://security.debian.org etch/main Packages Err ftp://security.debian.org etch/main Packages Unable to fetch ...

  1. Problems with security.debian.org ?

    Pursuant to trying to fix an issue with missing kdelibs4 and libqt3
    packages, I tried to do an apt-get update (with an /etc/apt/sources.list
    that has served me well) :

    Get:9 ftp://security.debian.org etch/main Packages
    Err ftp://security.debian.org etch/main Packages
    Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. ' [IP:
    82.94.249.158 21]
    Get:10 ftp://security.debian.org etch/contrib Packages
    Err ftp://security.debian.org etch/contrib Packages
    Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. ' [IP:
    82.94.249.158 21]
    Get:11 ftp://security.debian.org etch/non-free Packages
    Err ftp://security.debian.org etch/non-free Packages
    Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. ' [IP:
    82.94.249.158 21]
    Fetched 567B in 4s (128B/s)
    Failed to fetch
    ftp://security.debian.org/debian/dis...86/Packages.gz
    Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. ' [IP:
    82.94.249.158 21]
    Failed to fetch
    ftp://security.debian.org/debian/dis...86/Packages.gz
    Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. ' [IP:
    82.94.249.158 21]
    Failed to fetch
    ftp://security.debian.org/debian/dis...86/Packages.gz
    Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. ' [IP:
    82.94.249.158 21]
    Reading package lists... Done
    W: GPG error: http://archives.eyrie.org etch Release: The following
    signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:
    NO_PUBKEY F985E3400AFC7476
    W: GPG error: http://debian.wgdd.de sarge Release: The following signatures
    couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY
    0F719C35E394D996
    W: GPG error: ftp://ftp.nerim.net etch Release: The following signatures
    couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY
    07DC563D1F41B907
    W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://security.debian.org etch/main
    Packages
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages)
    - stat (2 No such file or directory)
    W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://security.debian.org etch/contrib
    Packages
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_contrib_bina ry-i386_Packages)
    - stat (2 No such file or directory)
    W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://security.debian.org etch/non-free
    Packages
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_non-free_binary-i386_Packages)
    - stat (2 No such file or directory)
    E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones
    used instead.

    Is security.debian.org "down" ? I checked - I can access the ftp link via
    mozilla (ergo - no proxy or firewall problem). So, its not really down. So,
    why is my attempt to update getting messed up ?

  2. Re: Problems with security.debian.org ?

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:13:33 -0500, Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    > Pursuant to trying to fix an issue with missing kdelibs4 and libqt3
    > packages, I tried to do an apt-get update (with an /etc/apt/sources.list
    > that has served me well) :
    > [...]
    > Get:9 ftp://security.debian.org etch/main Packages
    > Err ftp://security.debian.org etch/main Packages
    > Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. ' [IP:
    > [...]
    > Is security.debian.org "down" ? I checked - I can access the ftp link via
    > mozilla (ergo - no proxy or firewall problem). So, its not really down. So,
    > why is my attempt to update getting messed up ?

    There simply is no security support for Etch from security.debian.org
    at the moment, but only from the Testing Security Team as announced at
    .

    Official security support from the Debian Security Team will only be
    available starting rather shortly before the Etch release.

    Cheers,
    Flo

  3. Re: Problems with security.debian.org ?

    Florian Ernst wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:13:33 -0500, Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    >> Pursuant to trying to fix an issue with missing kdelibs4 and libqt3
    >> packages, I tried to do an apt-get update (with an /etc/apt/sources.list
    >> that has served me well) :
    >> [...]
    >> Get:9 ftp://security.debian.org etch/main Packages
    >> Err ftp://security.debian.org etch/main Packages
    >> Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. ' [IP:
    >> [...]
    >> Is security.debian.org "down" ? I checked - I can access the ftp link via
    >> mozilla (ergo - no proxy or firewall problem). So, its not really down.
    >> So, why is my attempt to update getting messed up ?

    > There simply is no security support for Etch from security.debian.org
    > at the moment, but only from the Testing Security Team as announced at
    > .

    Strange. I was having no problems updating for at least a month with Etch
    before this problem showed up.

    Thanks for your response.

+ Reply to Thread