Java Run Time environment and Firefox in KDE - Debian

This is a discussion on Java Run Time environment and Firefox in KDE - Debian ; I installed Firefox browser in KDE, when I browse some sites, it pops up missing plug-in and I click to install the plug-in, it responded with installation finished and you need to restart firefox to make it works. Even I ...

  1. Java Run Time environment and Firefox in KDE

    I installed Firefox browser in KDE, when I browse some sites, it pops
    up missing plug-in and I click to install the plug-in, it responded
    with installation finished and you need to restart firefox to make it
    works.

    Even I restarted the Firefox, the missing plug-in pop up is still there
    and I cannot browse the site with that plug-in.

    Any ideas how to really install the plug-in ?

  2. Re: Java Run Time environment and Firefox in KDE

    DC wrote:
    > I installed Firefox browser in KDE, when I browse some sites, it pops
    > up missing plug-in and I click to install the plug-in, it responded
    > with installation finished and you need to restart firefox to make it
    > works.
    >
    > Even I restarted the Firefox, the missing plug-in pop up is still there
    > and I cannot browse the site with that plug-in.
    >
    > Any ideas how to really install the plug-in ?

    I just downloaded and installed Sun's JRE from sun's website and
    installed that. In the JRE folder thier is a directory call plugin that
    I created a sybolic link to in the mozilla-firefox plug in directory.

  3. Re: Java Run Time environment and Firefox in KDE

    howto create a symbolic link ?

  4. Re: Java Run Time environment and Firefox in KDE

    DC wrote:
    > howto create a symbolic link ?

    man ln

    specifically, ln -s [target] [link]

    eg (as root):
    ln -s /path/to/java/plugin-filename.so
    /path/to/mozilla-firefox/plugins/plugin-filename.so

    shannon

  5. Re: Java Run Time environment and Firefox in KDE

    Thank you for your reply. I don't know why but I cannot find the
    plugins directory under Mozilla-firefox.

    I installed a package according to instructions below :

    http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/....4-status.html

    And it works afterward. I browse through the mozill-firefox directory
    again, still cannot see plugins subdirectory. Not sure why.

  6. Re: Java Run Time environment and Firefox in KDE

    DC wrote:
    > Thank you for your reply. I don't know why but I cannot find the
    > plugins directory under Mozilla-firefox.
    >
    > I installed a package according to instructions below :
    >
    > http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/....4-status.html
    >
    > And it works afterward. I browse through the mozill-firefox directory
    > again, still cannot see plugins subdirectory. Not sure why.

    -assuming your home directory is called DC

    Your local mozilla plugin dir is
    /home/DC/.mozilla/plugins

    Your global mozilla plugins dir is
    /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins

    I installed SUN Java under /usr/lib/j2rexxxx (later, as root, I renamed
    the directory to /usr/lib/java)

    Then linked to my local and global plugins dir (you only need to link to
    one or the other)

    to link to local (as normal user)

    ln -s /usr/lib/java/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    /home/DC/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

    to link to global (as root)

    ln -s /usr/lib/java/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

    Then as root, ln -s /usr/lib/java/bin/java /usr/bin/java

    Now your path to the java exec is /usr/bin/java or simply java

  7. Re: Java Run Time environment and Firefox in KDE

    On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 10:31:25 -0600, zekolas wrote:

    > I just downloaded and installed Sun's JRE from sun's website and
    > installed that. In the JRE folder thier is a directory call plugin that
    > I created a sybolic link to in the mozilla-firefox plug in directory.

    The best thing you can do is unleash "java-package" on it. It will make
    configuring things easier and less messy.

    --
    Frank Van Damme

+ Reply to Thread