Lost and Found - what is it for? - Debian

This is a discussion on Lost and Found - what is it for? - Debian ; I'm a bit lost about the Lost and Found directory. (BTW - new to Linux and Sarge.) I have tried to find out what it's for and what needs to be done with it - but without much success. Perhaps ...

  1. Lost and Found - what is it for?

    I'm a bit lost about the Lost and Found directory.
    (BTW - new to Linux and Sarge.)

    I have tried to find out what it's for and what needs to be done with it
    - but without much success. Perhaps some kind soul could give a simple
    explanation - or point me to one?
    --
    Chris

  2. Re: Lost and Found - what is it for?

    Chris wrote:
    > I'm a bit lost about the Lost and Found directory.
    > I have tried to find out what it's for and what needs to be done with it
    > - but without much success. Perhaps some kind soul could give a simple
    > explanation - or point me to one?

    Many (but not all) filesystem types use it for filesystem recovery.
    Most notably when checking the filesystem, if they find stuff which
    still exists (e.g. non-zero length file with non-zero link count) but
    doesn't have a proper place (exists in no directories), since the
    recovery may know the file structure and it's associated data, but
    not where it should be located, or what link name(s) it had, the
    typical recovery process (fsck) would place it in the lost+found
    directory at the root (topmost level) of the particular filesystem in
    question. For the applicable types of filesystems, the lost+found
    directory should exist, its permissions should not be mucked with
    (that could create security issues), and it should not be removed (if
    it is removed, care should be taken that it is created to be of
    appropriate size). The reason lost+found must exist and be of
    appropriate size when doing such recoveries, is that the recovery
    process may need a directory to link found stuff into - and if
    there's a fair amount of stuff found, it will need enough existing
    empty slots in the directory to link things there without growing the
    directory (as growing or creating the directory while trying to do a
    recovery could potentially destroy data one needs to recover - or at
    best would greatly complicate the recovery process - and there's also
    risk that the filesystem could be or become full, and again it would
    then be impossible or infeasible to reasonably conveniently recover
    the data/files).

    Other suggestions. Start here:
    do the basic STFW exercises if you haven't already, e.g.:
    and read at least some of the relevant stuff (if you haven't already)
    and ask more specifical questions - e.g. asking what you still don't
    understand or where you're getting confused by what (potentially
    confusing, conflicting, or incomplete) stuff you've read.
    Also, folks aren't going to reply to your e-mail if it's bogus. In
    many cases folks might bother to reply via e-mail if they think their
    reply might be useful or informative to you, but may not be
    sufficiently noteworthy to bother to post on USENET. If your e-mail
    is bogus (or bounces) in such cases, you might miss out on useful
    replies/information.

  3. Re: Lost and Found - what is it for?

    On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 06:39:48 +0000, Chris wrote:

    > I'm a bit lost about the Lost and Found directory.
    > (BTW - new to Linux and Sarge.)
    >
    > I have tried to find out what it's for and what needs to be done with it
    > - but without much success. Perhaps some kind soul could give a simple
    > explanation - or point me to one?

    You don't have to do anything with it. You can pretty safely ignore it.
    The file system will, from time to time, throw lost files in there -
    doesn't happen often.

+ Reply to Thread