Pos OT - partimage on Kubuntu - Debian

This is a discussion on Pos OT - partimage on Kubuntu - Debian ; Sorry if this is of-topic, but Kubuntu is essentially debian... Has any one got a client - server setup working with partimage? I get everything installed and configured fine, but if I use a Knoppix CD to boot into the ...

  1. Pos OT - partimage on Kubuntu

    Sorry if this is of-topic, but Kubuntu is essentially debian...

    Has any one got a client - server setup working with partimage? I get
    everything installed and configured fine, but if I use a Knoppix CD to boot
    into the client to back up a partition, I get a seg fault on the server?

    If anyone is happy to reply to this and want more detailed description, I
    will be happy to provide. If anyone has had a similar setup, had the same
    problem and got it working, your help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    Steve

  2. Re: Pos OT - partimage on Kubuntu

    Steve Turnbull wrote:
    > Sorry if this is of-topic, but Kubuntu is essentially debian...
    >
    > Has any one got a client - server setup working with partimage? I get
    > everything installed and configured fine, but if I use a Knoppix CD to boot
    > into the client to back up a partition, I get a seg fault on the server?
    >
    > If anyone is happy to reply to this and want more detailed description, I
    > will be happy to provide. If anyone has had a similar setup, had the same
    > problem and got it working, your help would be greatly appreciated.

    Hi Steve,

    Did you get anywhere with this problem? I've just discovered the same
    issue using Ubuntu (5.10) -- I am also running Knoppix (3.4) on the
    client, and the server crashes just after I've entered the login details.

    Confusingly, the log file begins:

    [Main] partimaged-main.cpp->Initialize#178: Warning: we couldn't
    changed euid because we weren't launched as root
    expect some access denied or troubles like this.
    [Main] partimaged-main.cpp->Initialize#181: partimaged 0.6.4(CVS
    $Revision: 1.27 $)
    [

    ...which is odd, because I am lauching partimaged using:

    sudo partimaged --debug=10

    I did add my user name to /etc/partimaged/partimagedusers and I changed
    the owner and group of that file to "partimag".
    Not that it helps any!!

    --
    All the best,

    Peter.