Bug introduced in KNode 0.9.2 on KDE 3.4.2 - Debian

This is a discussion on Bug introduced in KNode 0.9.2 on KDE 3.4.2 - Debian ; Upgraded my Knode installation yesterday. KDE 3.4.2 seems to be a big improvement (lot more responsive and snappy), but Knode seems to have a wierd bug in it. Say I visit a newsgroup, read a message or two and then ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Bug introduced in KNode 0.9.2 on KDE 3.4.2

  1. Bug introduced in KNode 0.9.2 on KDE 3.4.2

    Upgraded my Knode installation yesterday. KDE 3.4.2 seems to be a big
    improvement (lot more responsive and snappy), but Knode seems to have a
    wierd bug in it.

    Say I visit a newsgroup, read a message or two and then leave it for another
    newsgroup. KNode marks all of the messages (I mean all of them) as read,
    and next time I come back to it, it shows nothing (I usually use a filter -
    Threads with new articles). Why is KNode marking all the messages in a
    visited newsgroup as read, regardless of whether I read them or not ?

  2. Re: Bug introduced in KNode 0.9.2 on KDE 3.4.2

    On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 12:36:51 -0500, Madhusudan Singh
    wrote in alt.os.linux.debian:

    > Upgraded my Knode installation yesterday. KDE 3.4.2 seems to be a big
    > improvement (lot more responsive and snappy), but Knode seems to have a
    > wierd bug in it.
    >
    > Say I visit a newsgroup, read a message or two and then leave it for another
    > newsgroup. KNode marks all of the messages (I mean all of them) as read,
    > and next time I come back to it, it shows nothing (I usually use a filter -
    > Threads with new articles). Why is KNode marking all the messages in a
    > visited newsgroup as read, regardless of whether I read them or not ?


    This seems to work correctly for me with the latest Knode and KDE from
    Unstable; when a new message arrives, old messages in the thread,
    whether read or unread, reappear in the messages list.

    Are you sure that there are new messages when you return to the group?
    "New" messages immediately become "old" as soon as you leave the
    group.


    PJR :-)
    --
    alt.usenet.kooks award-winners and FAQ:


  3. Re: Bug introduced in KNode 0.9.2 on KDE 3.4.2

    Peter J Ross wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 12:36:51 -0500, Madhusudan Singh
    > wrote in alt.os.linux.debian:
    >
    >> Upgraded my Knode installation yesterday. KDE 3.4.2 seems to be a big
    >> improvement (lot more responsive and snappy), but Knode seems to have a
    >> wierd bug in it.
    >>
    >> Say I visit a newsgroup, read a message or two and then leave it for
    >> another newsgroup. KNode marks all of the messages (I mean all of them)
    >> as read, and next time I come back to it, it shows nothing (I usually use
    >> a filter - Threads with new articles). Why is KNode marking all the
    >> messages in a visited newsgroup as read, regardless of whether I read
    >> them or not ?

    >
    > This seems to work correctly for me with the latest Knode and KDE from
    > Unstable; when a new message arrives, old messages in the thread,
    > whether read or unread, reappear in the messages list.
    >
    > Are you sure that there are new messages when you return to the group?
    > "New" messages immediately become "old" as soon as you leave the
    > group.


    That was not the behaviour of the previous versions of KNode. Unread new
    messages used to remain "new" until I either read them or marked them as
    read, or restarted KNode.

  4. Re: Bug introduced in KNode 0.9.2 on KDE 3.4.2

    Madhusudan Singh wrote:

    > That was not the behaviour of the previous versions of KNode. Unread
    > new messages used to remain "new" until I either read them or marked
    > them as read, or restarted KNode.


    Are you sure they are marked "read"? Check it by using the "unread"
    filter instead of "new". I think you have set KNode to check for new
    messages when you open a group, and then the previous fetched messages
    vanish if you are using the "new" filter.

    If it is so go to the "Reading News" section in Configure and make sure
    that "Check for new articles automatically" is unset.
    --
    Thomas O.

    This area is designed to become quite warm during normal operation.

  5. Re: Bug introduced in KNode 0.9.2 on KDE 3.4.2

    Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    >
    >> That was not the behaviour of the previous versions of KNode. Unread
    >> new messages used to remain "new" until I either read them or marked
    >> them as read, or restarted KNode.

    >
    > Are you sure they are marked "read"? Check it by using the "unread"
    > filter instead of "new". I think you have set KNode to check for new


    I am doing that now. The point is that previously :

    1. New unread messages and the groups containing them were marked in bold
    face (which made it immensely easy to locate them) and if I did not read
    them, they remained in that state until I either read them, or marked them
    read or restarted KNode.

    2. Now, all the groups are in bold face, whether they contain any messages
    (new or otherwise). And the behaviour is odd just like I described. Both
    these make going through the groups a lot less pleasant, as I cannot now
    leave a group secure in the knowledge that unread new messages would remain
    new. Its very frustrating.

    > messages when you open a group, and then the previous fetched messages
    > vanish if you are using the "new" filter.


    Never happened in the older version of KNode. Yes, I understand what you are
    hinting here, but I am describing what I observed and what I got used to.
    Over multiple older versions of KNode (have used it for years now).

    >
    > If it is so go to the "Reading News" section in Configure and make sure
    > that "Check for new articles automatically" is unset.


    Done that. No change in the problematic behaviour. The only difference is
    that I now have to right click and manually download new messages.

    The new version of KNode has definitely become problematic for me.

  6. Re: Bug introduced in KNode 0.9.2 on KDE 3.4.2

    In comp.os.linux.misc, Madhusudan Singh
    wrote:

    > Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    >
    >> Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    >>
    >>> That was not the behaviour of the previous versions of KNode.
    >>> Unread new messages used to remain "new" until I either read them
    >>> or marked them as read, or restarted KNode.


    Still do here with knode 0.9.2 under KDE 3.4.2
    [snip]
    > The point is that previously :
    >
    > 1. New unread messages and the groups containing them were marked in
    > bold face (which made it immensely easy to locate them) and if I did
    > not read them, they remained in that state until I either read them,
    > or marked them read or restarted KNode.


    Still do here with knode 0.9.2 under KDE 3.4.2
    >
    > 2. Now, all the groups are in bold face, whether they contain any
    > messages (new or otherwise).


    Not so here with knode 0.9.2 under KDE 3.4.2

    [snip]
    >
    > The new version of KNode has definitely become problematic for me.


    Quite so, but apparently more complex than you at first thought, since
    the precise versions of knode and KDE that you cite do not combine to
    produce the effects that you observe when used on my machine.
    --
    Robert
    It's not because I am paranoid
    That the whole world *isn't* against me

  7. Re: Bug introduced in KNode 0.9.2 on KDE 3.4.2

    Madhusudan Singh wrote:

    > Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    >
    >> Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    >>
    >>> That was not the behaviour of the previous versions of KNode.
    >>> Unread new messages used to remain "new" until I either read them
    >>> or marked them as read, or restarted KNode.

    >>
    >> Are you sure they are marked "read"? Check it by using the "unread"
    >> filter instead of "new". I think you have set KNode to check for
    >> new

    >
    > I am doing that now. The point is that previously :
    >
    > 1. New unread messages and the groups containing them were marked in
    > bold face (which made it immensely easy to locate them) and if I did
    > not read them, they remained in that state until I either read them,
    > or marked them read or restarted KNode.
    >
    > 2. Now, all the groups are in bold face, whether they contain any
    > messages (new or otherwise). And the behaviour is odd just like I
    > described. Both these make going through the groups a lot less
    > pleasant, as I cannot now leave a group secure in the knowledge that
    > unread new messages would remain new. Its very frustrating.
    >
    >> messages when you open a group, and then the previous fetched
    >> messages vanish if you are using the "new" filter.

    >
    > Never happened in the older version of KNode. Yes, I understand what
    > you are hinting here, but I am describing what I observed and what I
    > got used to. Over multiple older versions of KNode (have used it for
    > years now).
    >
    >>
    >> If it is so go to the "Reading News" section in Configure and make
    >> sure that "Check for new articles automatically" is unset.

    >
    > Done that. No change in the problematic behaviour. The only
    > difference is that I now have to right click and manually download
    > new messages.
    >
    > The new version of KNode has definitely become problematic for me.


    This seems to be a pronblem with KDE. People keep messing with it and
    upgrades show new bad choices. While old problems go uncorrected.




    --
    The official spokesman of the Foxes said
    today that investigation into what happened
    to the henhouse may be needed.

    Cheerful Charlie

+ Reply to Thread