dsl connection not started after reboot - Debian

This is a discussion on dsl connection not started after reboot - Debian ; I installed debian via an http connection through my home dsl. The reboot after the base system install connected to the dsl just fine. I then installed just the base system and then the x-window-system and configured my video card. ...

  1. dsl connection not started after reboot

    I installed debian via an http connection through my home dsl. The reboot
    after the base system install connected to the dsl just fine. I then
    installed just the base system and then the x-window-system and configured
    my video card. The kernel at this time was the 2.2.20-idepci so I installed
    the kernel-image-2.4.27-2.686. After the reboot, the dsl was not connected
    and the ifconfig shows the loopback and not eth0. lsmod does not show my nic
    (realtek 8139) and I did not configure for it. What should my next steps be
    to connect to the dsl? This situation is good in that I can secure the
    machine before permanently connecting to the internet. I appreciate any
    advise. ...Mike

  2. Re: dsl connection not started after reboot

    "Lawsan" wrote in message
    >I installed debian via an http connection through my home dsl. The reboot
    >after the base system install connected to the dsl just fine. I then
    >installed just the base system and then the x-window-system and configured
    >my video card. The kernel at this time was the 2.2.20-idepci so I installed
    >the kernel-image-2.4.27-2.686. After the reboot, the dsl was not connected
    >and the ifconfig shows the loopback and not eth0. lsmod does not show my
    >nic (realtek 8139) and I did not configure for it. What should my next
    >steps be to connect to the dsl? This situation is good in that I can secure
    >the machine before permanently connecting to the internet. I appreciate any
    >advise. ...Mike

    Sounds like kernel 2.4 is not loading the module for your network card, so
    you need to help it.
    In case you have the discover package installed all modules for detected
    hardware should be loaded auto at startup.

    I asume of your post that you don't have discover installed, and I asume
    that dmesg don't show any detection of your network card.

    Try "modprobe 8139too"

    If that loads without problems and find your card you need to help kernel
    load the module at startup by adding it to /etc/modules

    Brgds
    Torben

+ Reply to Thread