Dual OS performance effect - Debian

This is a discussion on Dual OS performance effect - Debian ; I am newbie to Linux and I hope I can master Debian Linux. 1. If I install dual OS, Windows XP and Debian Linux to a new machine, should I installed Windows XP first ? I have tried install Linux ...

  1. Dual OS performance effect

    I am newbie to Linux and I hope I can master Debian Linux.

    1. If I install dual OS, Windows XP and Debian Linux to a new machine,
    should I installed Windows XP first ? I have tried install Linux on a
    old computer with Windows XP, it works well. Just wonder whether the
    way you install the 2 OS will affect the performance.

    2. I have installed the KDE and KDM, now whenever I start Linux, it
    goes to the Graphical enviroment. How can I make it to go to command
    line only environment without going to KDE ?

    Thanks in advance, and hope to participate more in this newsgroup.

  2. Re: Dual OS performance effect

    Thanks, Bill !

    When using ctrl-alt-F1, is it the X windows still runing or not, if so,
    would it affect the server performance ?

  3. Re: Dual OS performance effect

    On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 07:39:16 -0800, DC wrote:

    > I am newbie to Linux and I hope I can master Debian Linux.
    >
    > 1. If I install dual OS, Windows XP and Debian Linux to a new machine,
    > should I installed Windows XP first ? I have tried install Linux on a
    > old computer with Windows XP, it works well. Just wonder whether the
    > way you install the 2 OS will affect the performance.

    Won't affect the performance, but it is generally a little easier to
    install MS first.

    > 2. I have installed the KDE and KDM, now whenever I start Linux, it
    > goes to the Graphical enviroment. How can I make it to go to command
    > line only environment without going to KDE ?

    edit /etc/inittab

    > Thanks in advance, and hope to participate more in this newsgroup.

  4. Re: Dual OS performance effect

    Cannot find where to edit to get the effect, file content listed:

    # /etc/inittab: init(8) configuration.
    # $Id: inittab,v 1.91 2002/01/25 13:35:21 miquels Exp $

    # The default runlevel.
    id:2:initdefault:

    # Boot-time system configuration/initialization script.
    # This is run first except when booting in emergency (-b) mode.
    si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

    # What to do in single-user mode.
    ~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin

    # /etc/init.d executes the S and K scripts upon change
    # of runlevel.
    #
    # Runlevel 0 is halt.
    # Runlevel 1 is single-user.
    # Runlevels 2-5 are multi-user.
    # Runlevel 6 is reboot.

    l0:0:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 0
    l1:1:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 1
    l2:2:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 2
    l3:3:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 3
    l4:4:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 4
    l5:5:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 5
    l6:6:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 6
    # Normally not reached, but fallthrough in case of emergency.
    z6:6:respawn:/sbin/sulogin

    # What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed.
    ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now

    # Action on special keypress (ALT-UpArrow).
    #kb::kbrequest:/bin/echo "Keyboard Request--edit /etc/inittab to let
    this work."

    # What to do when the power fails/returns.
    pf:owerwait:/etc/init.d/powerfail start
    pn:owerfailnow:/etc/init.d/powerfail now
    po:owerokwait:/etc/init.d/powerfail stop

    # /sbin/getty invocations for the runlevels.
    #
    # The "id" field MUST be the same as the last
    # characters of the device (after "tty").
    #
    # Format:
    # :::
    #
    # Note that on most Debian systems tty7 is used by the X Window System,
    # so if you want to add more getty's go ahead but skip tty7 if you run
    X.
    #
    1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
    2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
    3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
    4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
    5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
    6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

    # Example how to put a getty on a serial line (for a terminal)
    #
    #T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
    #T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 9600 vt100

    # Example how to put a getty on a modem line.
    #
    #T3:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x0 -s 57600 ttyS3

  5. Re: Dual OS performance effect

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 02:09:43 -0800, DC wrote:

    > Cannot find where to edit to get the effect, file content listed:
    >
    > # /etc/inittab: init(8) configuration.
    > # $Id: inittab,v 1.91 2002/01/25 13:35:21 miquels Exp $

    change initdefault to 1.
    > # The default runlevel.
    > id:2:initdefault:

    ^
    right here.

    > # Boot-time system configuration/initialization script.
    > # This is run first except when booting in emergency (-b) mode.
    > si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS
    >
    > # What to do in single-user mode.
    > ~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin
    >
    > # /etc/init.d executes the S and K scripts upon change
    > # of runlevel.
    > #
    > # Runlevel 0 is halt.
    > # Runlevel 1 is single-user.
    > # Runlevels 2-5 are multi-user.
    > # Runlevel 6 is reboot.
    >
    > l0:0:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 0
    > l1:1:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 1
    > l2:2:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 2
    > l3:3:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 3
    > l4:4:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 4
    > l5:5:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 5
    > l6:6:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 6
    > # Normally not reached, but fallthrough in case of emergency.
    > z6:6:respawn:/sbin/sulogin
    >
    > # What to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed.
    > ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now
    >
    > # Action on special keypress (ALT-UpArrow).
    > #kb::kbrequest:/bin/echo "Keyboard Request--edit /etc/inittab to let
    > this work."
    >
    > # What to do when the power fails/returns.
    > pf:owerwait:/etc/init.d/powerfail start
    > pn:owerfailnow:/etc/init.d/powerfail now
    > po:owerokwait:/etc/init.d/powerfail stop
    >
    > # /sbin/getty invocations for the runlevels.
    > #
    > # The "id" field MUST be the same as the last
    > # characters of the device (after "tty").
    > #
    > # Format:
    > # :::
    > #
    > # Note that on most Debian systems tty7 is used by the X Window System,
    > # so if you want to add more getty's go ahead but skip tty7 if you run
    > X.
    > #
    > 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
    > 2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
    > 3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
    > 4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
    > 5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
    > 6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6
    >
    > # Example how to put a getty on a serial line (for a terminal)
    > #
    > #T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
    > #T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 9600 vt100
    >
    > # Example how to put a getty on a modem line.
    > #
    > #T3:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x0 -s 57600 ttyS3

  6. Re: Dual OS performance effect

    Hi Ray,

    I tried , but it stills boot to KDE graphical interface. Seems not
    working, ??

  7. Re: Dual OS performance effect

    Sorry, I thinks it "works" .

    Is it putting like

    id:1:initdefault:

    It shows up maintenance and enter a root password , I become logged in
    as root.

    Is that like this ? Thanks in advance

  8. Re: Dual OS performance effect

    ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 02:09:43 -0800, DC wrote:
    >

    >>Cannot find where to edit to get the effect, file content listed:
    >>
    >># /etc/inittab: init(8) configuration.
    >># $Id: inittab,v 1.91 2002/01/25 13:35:21 miquels Exp $
    >>

    > change initdefault to 1.
    >
    >># The default runlevel.
    >>id:2:initdefault:

    > ^
    > right here.

    Isn't runlevel 1 single-user? That perhaps isn't quite what the original
    poster wants. On my system, which boots to runlevel 2, ie the default
    runlevel for a regular install, I simply rename /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm to
    /etc/rc2.d/_S99xdm (ie just insert an underscore in the filename - yours
    might be S99kdm, for example), so that the startup process will not
    execute xdm/kdm etc on boot (it won't execute any scripts in the
    corresponding runlevel directory unless they start with an S). This way
    I still get a regular runlevel 2 session, but X doesn't get started
    automatically. It's also very simple to go back to the default behaviour
    if I ever want it, just by removing the underscore from the filename and
    rebooting.

    Shannon

  9. Re: Dual OS performance effect

    Thanks Shannon, this is what I wanted and it works.

  10. Re: Dual OS performance effect

    On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 08:51:05 +1030, Shannon Lloyd wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 02:09:43 -0800, DC wrote:
    >>

    >>>Cannot find where to edit to get the effect, file content listed:
    >>>
    >>># /etc/inittab: init(8) configuration.
    >>># $Id: inittab,v 1.91 2002/01/25 13:35:21 miquels Exp $
    >>>

    >> change initdefault to 1.
    >>
    >>># The default runlevel.
    >>>id:2:initdefault:

    >> ^
    >> right here.

    > Isn't runlevel 1 single-user? That perhaps isn't quite what the original
    > poster wants. On my system, which boots to runlevel 2, ie the default
    > runlevel for a regular install, I simply rename /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm to
    > /etc/rc2.d/_S99xdm (ie just insert an underscore in the filename - yours
    > might be S99kdm, for example), so that the startup process will not
    > execute xdm/kdm etc on boot (it won't execute any scripts in the
    > corresponding runlevel directory unless they start with an S). This way
    > I still get a regular runlevel 2 session, but X doesn't get started
    > automatically. It's also very simple to go back to the default behaviour
    > if I ever want it, just by removing the underscore from the filename and
    > rebooting.
    >
    > Shannon

    Thanks for the clarification. I come from the MDK/RH/SUSE world where the
    default for the GUI is 5 and changing to 3 is what you usually do - your
    solution sounds a little 'nicer'.

+ Reply to Thread