Screen Size / Resolution. - Debian

This is a discussion on Screen Size / Resolution. - Debian ; Hi Yesterday I partioned my drive with grub to dual boot between WinXP and Debian/desktop installed. Now during install it asked about my graphics card/monitor and showed me a list. I used SIS as that's what WinXP uses but then ...

  1. Screen Size / Resolution.

    Hi

    Yesterday I partioned my drive with grub to dual boot between WinXP and
    Debian/desktop installed.

    Now during install it asked about my graphics card/monitor and showed me
    a list. I used SIS as that's what WinXP uses but then Debian asked for
    the string but I left it blank!

    It all works fine but, the resolution/screen size is set too small and
    everything looks massive - the highest I can put it on is 800 X 600 but,
    my WinXP is set on 1280 X 1024

    Is their a way to alter the screen size to somthing ore than the 800 X
    600 max allowed in Debian or a way to alter the driver Debian is using.

    I've looked and looked in debian settings (GUI) but can't see where I
    can alter the monitor driver ...

    Apart from that the OS/Desktop is magic and I love it more than Win/XP

    Any help greatly appreciated

    Kind regards
    --
    Fedz

  2. Re: Screen Size / Resolution.

    Fedz wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Yesterday I partioned my drive with grub to dual boot between WinXP and
    > Debian/desktop installed.
    >
    > Now during install it asked about my graphics card/monitor and showed me
    > a list. I used SIS as that's what WinXP uses but then Debian asked for
    > the string but I left it blank!
    >
    > It all works fine but, the resolution/screen size is set too small and
    > everything looks massive - the highest I can put it on is 800 X 600 but,
    > my WinXP is set on 1280 X 1024
    >
    > Is their a way to alter the screen size to somthing ore than the 800 X
    > 600 max allowed in Debian or a way to alter the driver Debian is using.
    >
    > I've looked and looked in debian settings (GUI) but can't see where I
    > can alter the monitor driver ...
    >
    > Apart from that the OS/Desktop is magic and I love it more than Win/XP
    >

    > Any help greatly appreciated
    >
    > Kind regards
    > --
    > Fedz

    Yes,

    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

    When you get to the monitor setup scroll to the desired resolution, such as
    1024x768 or 1280x1024 and press the spacebar to select it. When you are
    all done you will have these new selections available.

  3. Re: Screen Size / Resolution.

    Fedz wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Yesterday I partioned my drive with grub to dual boot between WinXP and
    > Debian/desktop installed.
    >
    > Now during install it asked about my graphics card/monitor and showed me
    > a list. I used SIS as that's what WinXP uses but then Debian asked for
    > the string but I left it blank!
    >
    > It all works fine but, the resolution/screen size is set too small and
    > everything looks massive - the highest I can put it on is 800 X 600 but,
    > my WinXP is set on 1280 X 1024
    >
    > Is their a way to alter the screen size to somthing ore than the 800 X
    > 600 max allowed in Debian or a way to alter the driver Debian is using.
    >
    > I've looked and looked in debian settings (GUI) but can't see where I
    > can alter the monitor driver ...
    >
    > Apart from that the OS/Desktop is magic and I love it more than Win/XP
    >

    > Any help greatly appreciated
    >
    > Kind regards
    > --
    > Fedz

    PS
    You can also try your hand at editing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, but make sure
    you make a backup copy of it first, such as:

    cd /etc/X11
    cp XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4.save
    vi XF86Config-4

+ Reply to Thread