how do I get a graphical KDE login screen? - Debian

This is a discussion on how do I get a graphical KDE login screen? - Debian ; I installed debian 3.1 sarge from a DVD that came with issue 70 of LunixFormat. I got X running with XF86Config-4 from my librenet 2.8.1, a debian distro, and got KDE running. When I boot, I only get a command ...

  1. how do I get a graphical KDE login screen?

    I installed debian 3.1 sarge from a DVD that came with issue 70
    of LunixFormat.
    I got X running with XF86Config-4 from my librenet 2.8.1, a debian
    distro, and got KDE running.
    When I boot, I only get a command line prompt, no KDE login screen.
    I have to use "startx" on the command line, then KDE starts without a
    login screen.I have to move the cursor to the left or bottom to get the
    rest of the screen.Doesn't start a full screen. On my libranet, I get a
    full screen using the same XF86Config-4 file.
    How do I get a graphical logon and a full screen?

    jozien

  2. Re: how do I get a graphical KDE login screen?

    > I installed debian 3.1 sarge from a DVD that came with issue 70
    > of LunixFormat.
    > I got X running with XF86Config-4 from my librenet 2.8.1, a debian
    > distro, and got KDE running.
    > When I boot, I only get a command line prompt, no KDE login screen.
    > I have to use "startx" on the command line, then KDE starts without a
    > login screen.I have to move the cursor to the left or bottom to get
    > the rest of the screen.Doesn't start a full screen. On my libranet, I
    > get a full screen using the same XF86Config-4 file.
    > How do I get a graphical logon and a full screen?

    To get a graphical login you need to install kdm, the X display manager
    for KDE.

    As far as a full screen is concerned, try running

    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

    as root to recreate your XFree86Config-4 file.

    --
    Neil.
    BOFH excuse #406:

    Bad cafeteria food landed all the sysadmins in the hospital.

+ Reply to Thread