Firewall Appliance - Debian

This is a discussion on Firewall Appliance - Debian ; http://www.watchguard.com/products/x5000.asp above is a link to a watchguard firewall appliance, I think such appliance is basically a 1U lowend server running linux, with some custom made GUI, I think, I'm not sure anyhow, I am wondering if it's possible to ...

  1. Firewall Appliance

    http://www.watchguard.com/products/x5000.asp

    above is a link to a watchguard firewall appliance, I think such appliance
    is basically a 1U lowend server running linux, with some custom made GUI, I
    think, I'm not sure

    anyhow, I am wondering if it's possible to create something similar by
    building a server, and then through linux and open source apps accomplishing
    the same things

    a firewall capable of logging in and out traffic, creation of individual
    packet filters pero IP, per network, or maybe even per user? integrates
    with Microsoft AD for authentication? device to device VPN? acts like a
    router, but with a GUI? DMZ zones, multiple intrfaces via multiple network
    cards? etc etc etc, basically an enterprise class firewall?

  2. Re: Firewall Appliance

    On 11/01/05 18:17, M0stro wrote:
    > http://www.watchguard.com/products/x5000.asp
    >
    > above is a link to a watchguard firewall appliance, I think such appliance
    > is basically a 1U lowend server running linux, with some custom made GUI, I
    > think, I'm not sure
    >
    > anyhow, I am wondering if it's possible to create something similar by
    > building a server, and then through linux and open source apps accomplishing
    > the same things
    >
    > a firewall capable of logging in and out traffic, creation of individual
    > packet filters pero IP, per network, or maybe even per user? integrates
    > with Microsoft AD for authentication? device to device VPN? acts like a
    > router, but with a GUI? DMZ zones, multiple intrfaces via multiple network
    > cards? etc etc etc, basically an enterprise class firewall?

    Many modem/firewall/routers/wi-fi boxes use Linux and open source
    programs. For example I got the sources for my DG834G from
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101238.asp

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --