Disk Detection - Debian

This is a discussion on Disk Detection - Debian ; I tried to set up a dual boot WinXP / Linux system with Redhat WS 3.0 and the install failed due to Redhat unable to detect any HD to install on. I then tried SuSE Prof 9.3 and this install ...

  1. Disk Detection

    I tried to set up a dual boot WinXP / Linux system with Redhat WS 3.0
    and the install failed due to Redhat unable to detect any HD to
    install on.

    I then tried SuSE Prof 9.3 and this install worked OK. The HD was
    detected w/o any problems.

    I would like to purchase/install Debian (I used several years ago and
    really liked better than RH or SuSE) but would like to know if Debian
    will fail trying to detect my HD like Redhat did. I don't understand
    why RH couldn't detect my HD. My system is only six months old.

    All I know about the HD is "ST3160023AS" from the WinXP hardware
    profile. My system is a Dell 8400 Pentium 4 Processor 560 with HT.

    --
    -=[cwa]=-
    e-Mail: chris at cwaiken dot net

  2. Re: Disk Detection

    > I tried to set up a dual boot WinXP / Linux system with Redhat WS 3.0
    > and the install failed due to Redhat unable to detect any HD to
    > install on.

    > I then tried SuSE Prof 9.3 and this install worked OK. The HD was
    > detected w/o any problems.

    > I would like to purchase/install Debian (I used several years ago and
    > really liked better than RH or SuSE) but would like to know if Debian
    > will fail trying to detect my HD like Redhat did. I don't understand
    > why RH couldn't detect my HD. My system is only six months old.

    > All I know about the HD is "ST3160023AS" from the WinXP hardware
    > profile. My system is a Dell 8400 Pentium 4 Processor 560 with HT.

    The disk is a Seagate Barracuda 160GB drive. I have the equivalent
    120GB drive on my Debian system. I have no idea why RH failed to detect
    this drive, however if you are concerned then I would recommend you
    download the Debian Netinst installation CD. If this detects the drive
    OK, then there is every chance a full Debian installation will, too.

    You can download the Netinst CD from:

    --
    Neil.

  3. Re: Disk Detection

    On 2005-11-01, Neil Woods wrote:

    >> I tried to set up a dual boot WinXP / Linux system with Redhat WS 3.0
    >> and the install failed due to Redhat unable to detect any HD to
    >> install on.

    >> I then tried SuSE Prof 9.3 and this install worked OK. The HD was
    >> detected w/o any problems.

    >> I would like to purchase/install Debian (I used several years ago and
    >> really liked better than RH or SuSE) but would like to know if Debian
    >> will fail trying to detect my HD like Redhat did. I don't understand
    >> why RH couldn't detect my HD. My system is only six months old.

    >> All I know about the HD is "ST3160023AS" from the WinXP hardware
    >> profile. My system is a Dell 8400 Pentium 4 Processor 560 with HT.

    > The disk is a Seagate Barracuda 160GB drive. I have the equivalent
    > 120GB drive on my Debian system. I have no idea why RH failed to detect
    > this drive, however if you are concerned then I would recommend you
    > download the Debian Netinst installation CD. If this detects the drive
    > OK, then there is every chance a full Debian installation will, too.
    >
    > You can download the Netinst CD from:

    Will do. Thanks Neil.
    BTW... I bought a magazine at Borders that contained the latest 4 CD
    set of Fedora. Fedora also did not / could not detect my drive
    either.

    --
    -=[cwa]=-
    e-Mail: chris at cwaiken dot net
    Home: www.cwaiken.net

  4. Re: Disk Detection

    On 1 Nov 2005 14:30:09 GMT, Christopher W Aiken
    wrote:

    >>> I tried to set up a dual boot WinXP / Linux system with Redhat WS 3.0
    >>> and the install failed due to Redhat unable to detect any HD to
    >>> install on.

    >>> I then tried SuSE Prof 9.3 and this install worked OK. The HD was
    >>> detected w/o any problems.

    >>> I would like to purchase/install Debian (I used several years ago and
    >>> really liked better than RH or SuSE) but would like to know if Debian
    >>> will fail trying to detect my HD like Redhat did. I don't understand
    >>> why RH couldn't detect my HD. My system is only six months old.

    >>> All I know about the HD is "ST3160023AS" from the WinXP hardware
    >>> profile. My system is a Dell 8400 Pentium 4 Processor 560 with HT.

    >> The disk is a Seagate Barracuda 160GB drive. I have the equivalent
    >> 120GB drive on my Debian system. I have no idea why RH failed to detect
    >> this drive, however if you are concerned then I would recommend you
    >> download the Debian Netinst installation CD. If this detects the drive
    >> OK, then there is every chance a full Debian installation will, too.
    >>
    >> You can download the Netinst CD from:
    >>

    >Will do. Thanks Neil.
    >BTW... I bought a magazine at Borders that contained the latest 4 CD
    >set of Fedora. Fedora also did not / could not detect my drive
    >either.

    It's probably not a drive issue but a disk controller issue. You
    should do some research on what disk controller (possibably SATA?)
    your system is using and get the driver for it to use for which ever
    disto during installation.

    MT

  5. Re: Disk Detection

    Christopher W Aiken wrote:

    > I tried to set up a dual boot WinXP / Linux system with Redhat WS 3.0
    > and the install failed due to Redhat unable to detect any HD to
    > install on.
    >
    > I then tried SuSE Prof 9.3 and this install worked OK. The HD was
    > detected w/o any problems.
    >
    > I would like to purchase/install Debian (I used several years ago and
    > really liked better than RH or SuSE) but would like to know if Debian
    > will fail trying to detect my HD like Redhat did. I don't understand
    > why RH couldn't detect my HD. My system is only six months old.
    >
    > All I know about the HD is "ST3160023AS" from the WinXP hardware
    > profile. My system is a Dell 8400 Pentium 4 Processor 560 with HT.

    This is a Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive. You will have some difficulties with
    several distros as well as any of the older Microsoft OS's. Depending on
    your motherboard support chipset. If it is connected to an Intel support
    chipset you may have better luck than if it is an off brand like ATI or
    VIA. If you attempt the Debian install I suggest you download the
    NetInstall CD, which is pretty small, boot it and see. At the boot prompt
    when it says press F1 type linux26. This will take you to the newer linux
    2.6.x kernel. The default is 2.4.x, which may not support the SATA.

  6. Re: Disk Detection

    In article <5N6dnbQFqZV-1fXeRVn-2Q@comcast.com>, Meat Loaf wrote:
    > Christopher W Aiken wrote:
    >
    >> I tried to set up a dual boot WinXP / Linux system with Redhat WS 3.0
    >> and the install failed due to Redhat unable to detect any HD to
    >> install on.
    >>
    >> I then tried SuSE Prof 9.3 and this install worked OK. The HD was
    >> detected w/o any problems.
    >>
    >> I would like to purchase/install Debian (I used several years ago and
    >> really liked better than RH or SuSE) but would like to know if Debian
    >> will fail trying to detect my HD like Redhat did. I don't understand
    >> why RH couldn't detect my HD. My system is only six months old.
    >>
    >> All I know about the HD is "ST3160023AS" from the WinXP hardware
    >> profile. My system is a Dell 8400 Pentium 4 Processor 560 with HT.
    >>

    > This is a Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive. You will have some difficulties with
    > several distros as well as any of the older Microsoft OS's. Depending on
    > your motherboard support chipset. If it is connected to an Intel support
    > chipset you may have better luck than if it is an off brand like ATI or
    > VIA. If you attempt the Debian install I suggest you download the
    > NetInstall CD, which is pretty small, boot it and see. At the boot prompt
    > when it says press F1 type linux26. This will take you to the newer linux
    > 2.6.x kernel. The default is 2.4.x, which may not support the SATA.

    Good eye. That what the problem is. The drive is SATA.

    Thanks.

    -=[cwa]=-

  7. Re: Disk Detection

    In article <5N6dnbQFqZV-1fXeRVn-2Q@comcast.com>, Meat Loaf wrote:
    > Christopher W Aiken wrote:
    >
    >> I tried to set up a dual boot WinXP / Linux system with Redhat WS 3.0
    >> and the install failed due to Redhat unable to detect any HD to
    >> install on.
    >>
    >> I then tried SuSE Prof 9.3 and this install worked OK. The HD was
    >> detected w/o any problems.
    >>
    >> I would like to purchase/install Debian (I used several years ago and
    >> really liked better than RH or SuSE) but would like to know if Debian
    >> will fail trying to detect my HD like Redhat did. I don't understand
    >> why RH couldn't detect my HD. My system is only six months old.
    >>
    >> All I know about the HD is "ST3160023AS" from the WinXP hardware
    >> profile. My system is a Dell 8400 Pentium 4 Processor 560 with HT.
    >>

    > This is a Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive. You will have some difficulties with
    > several distros as well as any of the older Microsoft OS's. Depending on
    > your motherboard support chipset. If it is connected to an Intel support
    > chipset you may have better luck than if it is an off brand like ATI or
    > VIA. If you attempt the Debian install I suggest you download the
    > NetInstall CD, which is pretty small, boot it and see. At the boot prompt
    > when it says press F1 type linux26. This will take you to the newer linux
    > 2.6.x kernel. The default is 2.4.x, which may not support the SATA.

    Can't win from loosing. I burned a CD NetInstall and tried to install
    on my dell. With "linux26" option I can't get past the hardware
    detection of my CD. Doesn't know what CD I have. So I downloaded the
    2 cd ISO set from one of the Debian download sites. If I do "NOT"
    use "linux26" all goes well until the HD detection where it now fails
    with no HD or HD partitions available. If I "USE" the linux26 option
    I don't even get that far. It again fails to detect what CD I have.
    Damn all this new equipment..........

    -=[cwa]=-

+ Reply to Thread