Re: klik - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: klik - Debian ; In article , Madhusudan Singh writes >Chris wrote: > >> Has anyone managed to get klik install system working with Debian Sarge? >> http://klik.atekon.de/ >> I tried - and although it worked perfectly with Kanotix - I couldn't get >> ...

  1. Re: klik

    In article <4363f644$0$41141$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, Madhusudan Singh
    writes
    >Chris wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone managed to get klik install system working with Debian Sarge?
    >> http://klik.atekon.de/
    >> I tried - and although it worked perfectly with Kanotix - I couldn't get
    >> it to work with Debian Sarge. I tried to follow the instructions in the
    >> help - but I didn't know what those instructions were doing - and so I
    >> may have mucked up my system.
    >> Has anyone succeeded?

    >From the webpage :
    >"klik provides an easy way to download and use software for most major
    >distributions. "
    >Why would someone with something called "apt-get" ever want that ?

    Well ... that's a fair point, I suppose - in that apt-get is very good.

    On the other hand, klik does seem to be a magnificent systems
    programming achievement - and so I do admire those who made it.

    And I guess it could be useful for trying things out.
    OK - to be fair - it's probably more appropriate for a live distribution
    - but even so I would like to know if it is possible for it to work with
    Sarge?

    The klik help suggests a simple command will do the trick - but it
    didn't for me. That's almost certainly because I don't yet know enough.

    If someone *has* got it working with Sarge, it will at least show that
    it is in fact possible.
    --
    Chris

  2. Re: klik

    In article , Chris
    writes
    >In article <4363f644$0$41141$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, Madhusudan
    >Singh writes
    >>Chris wrote:

    >>> Has anyone managed to get klik install system working with Debian Sarge?
    >>> http://klik.atekon.de/
    >>> I tried - and although it worked perfectly with Kanotix - I couldn't get
    >>> it to work with Debian Sarge. I tried to follow the instructions in the
    >>> help - but I didn't know what those instructions were doing - and so I
    >>> may have mucked up my system.
    >>> Has anyone succeeded?

    >>From the webpage :
    >>"klik provides an easy way to download and use software for most major
    >>distributions. "
    >>Why would someone with something called "apt-get" ever want that ?

    >Well ... that's a fair point, I suppose - in that apt-get is very good.
    >On the other hand, klik does seem to be a magnificent systems
    >programming achievement - and so I do admire those who made it.
    >And I guess it could be useful for trying things out.
    >OK - to be fair - it's probably more appropriate for a live
    >distribution - but even so I would like to know if it is possible for
    >it to work with Sarge?
    >The klik help suggests a simple command will do the trick - but it
    >didn't for me. That's almost certainly because I don't yet know enough.
    >If someone *has* got it working with Sarge, it will at least show that
    >it is in fact possible.

    I had another go - and got a message saying I needed to install rpm2cpio
    but I can't find any reference to that package.
    Do you know anything about it?
    Can it be installed on Sarge?
    --
    Chris

  3. Re: klik

    Chris wrote:
    > In article , Chris
    > I had another go - and got a message saying I needed to install rpm2cpio
    > but I can't find any reference to that package.
    > Do you know anything about it?
    > Can it be installed on Sarge?
    > --
    > Chris

    got KDE installed ?
    Use Kpackage

  4. Re: klik

    In article , Chris
    writes
    >In article , Chris
    >writes
    >>In article <4363f644$0$41141$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, Madhusudan
    >>Singh writes

    >>>From the webpage :
    >>>"klik provides an easy way to download and use software for most major
    >>>distributions. "
    >>>Why would someone with something called "apt-get" ever want that ?

    >>Well ... that's a fair point, I suppose - in that apt-get is very good.
    >>On the other hand, klik does seem to be a magnificent systems
    >>programming achievement - and so I do admire those who made it.
    >>And I guess it could be useful for trying things out.
    >>OK - to be fair - it's probably more appropriate for a live
    >>distribution - but even so I would like to know if it is possible for
    >>it to work with Sarge?
    >>The klik help suggests a simple command will do the trick - but it
    >>didn't for me. That's almost certainly because I don't yet know enough.
    >>If someone *has* got it working with Sarge, it will at least show that
    >>it is in fact possible.

    >I had another go - and got a message saying I needed to install rpm2cpio
    >but I can't find any reference to that package.
    >Do you know anything about it?
    >Can it be installed on Sarge?

    OK - I have solved it myself - and am posting here in case it benefits
    someone else. The package "alien" needs to be installed.

    That's it. Works perfectly then.
    It was not easy to find out what to do!

    I suppose that's the beauty of Linux - everything is difficult - and so
    you get really frustrated - and then you eventually solve the problem -
    and feel good because the frustration stops ... like banging your head
    against a wall - it's nice when it stops!
    --
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread