KDE freezes after login - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE freezes after login - Debian ; Hi ng, my KDE freezes after the login-screen. After logging in, either the KDE-Splashscreen appears (and then freezes at "initializing devices") or it it doesn't and freezes immediately. So what have I've done: It all worked correctly, until I ran ...

  1. KDE freezes after login

    Hi ng,

    my KDE freezes after the login-screen. After logging in, either the
    KDE-Splashscreen appears (and then freezes at "initializing devices") or
    it it doesn't and freezes immediately.
    So what have I've done: It all worked correctly, until I ran a
    nvidia-installer-script from my distributor (kanotix). After rebooting
    the next day, the behaviour occured. OK, I thought, maybe I have to
    remove the module and it works then, I need a new SMP kernel anyways, so
    I compiled a new kernel, without installing the nvidia driver, but the
    problem is still the same.
    When starting IceWM, everything is fine, even when starting KDE via
    "startx" and not via kdm, it works properly!
    I already checked google, but found nothing that helped me, despite
    similar problem descriptions.

    Please help...

    Bernhard

    PS.:

    dmesg tells me:
    nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> Link [LNKA] -> GSI 11 (level,
    low) -> IRQ 11
    NVRM: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-7664 Wed May
    25 10:47:55 PDT 2005
    agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
    agpgart: Device is in legacy mode, falling back to 2.x
    agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
    agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 4x mode
    agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
    agpgart: Device is in legacy mode, falling back to 2.x
    agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
    agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 4x mode
    agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
    agpgart: Device is in legacy mode, falling back to 2.x
    agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
    agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 4x mode

    /var/log/syslog says:
    Oct 30 22:44:53 bernhard kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] ->
    Link [LNKA] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
    Oct 30 22:44:53 bernhard kernel: NVRM: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA
    Kernel Module 1.0-7664 Wed May 25 10:47:55 PDT 2005
    Oct 30 22:44:53 bernhard kernel: agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant
    device at 0000:00:00.0.
    Oct 30 22:44:53 bernhard kernel: agpgart: Device is in legacy mode,
    falling back to 2.x
    Oct 30 22:44:53 bernhard kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at
    0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
    Oct 30 22:44:53 bernhard kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at
    0000:01:00.0 into 4x mode
    Oct 30 22:44:54 bernhard kernel: agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant
    device at 0000:00:00.0.
    Oct 30 22:44:54 bernhard kernel: agpgart: Device is in legacy mode,
    falling back to 2.x
    Oct 30 22:44:54 bernhard kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at
    0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
    Oct 30 22:44:54 bernhard kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at
    0000:01:00.0 into 4x mode
    Oct 30 22:44:59 bernhard kdm_greet[3465]: Can't open default user face
    Oct 30 22:45:19 bernhard kernel: agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant
    device at 0000:00:00.0.
    Oct 30 22:45:19 bernhard kernel: agpgart: Device is in legacy mode,
    falling back to 2.x
    Oct 30 22:45:19 bernhard kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at
    0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
    Oct 30 22:45:19 bernhard kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at
    0000:01:00.0 into 4x mode
    Oct 30 22:45:21 bernhard kdm_greet[3611]: Can't open default user face

    lsmod explained:
    -lsmod | grep nv--------------------------
    nvidia 3702724 10
    agpgart 28104 2 nvidia,intel_agp

    and lspci told me:
    -lspci | grep nV-------------------------
    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV25
    [GeForce4 Ti 4200] (rev a3)

  2. Re: KDE freezes after login

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:23:06 +0100, Bernhard Kastner <0wn4g3@gmx.at>
    wrote:

    >Hi ng,
    >
    >my KDE freezes after the login-screen. After logging in, either the
    >KDE-Splashscreen appears (and then freezes at "initializing devices") or
    >it it doesn't and freezes immediately.
    >So what have I've done: It all worked correctly, until I ran a
    >nvidia-installer-script from my distributor (kanotix). After rebooting
    >the next day, the behaviour occured. OK, I thought, maybe I have to
    >remove the module and it works then, I need a new SMP kernel anyways, so
    >I compiled a new kernel, without installing the nvidia driver, but the
    >problem is still the same.
    >When starting IceWM, everything is fine, even when starting KDE via
    >"startx" and not via kdm, it works properly!
    >I already checked google, but found nothing that helped me, despite
    >similar problem descriptions.
    >
    >Please help...
    >
    >Bernhard

    Your logs might tell you more than dmesg. I run Debian, and after a
    kde update the .ICEauthority file changed ownership and gave me an
    error message - wouldn't let me log in. You might want to try
    creating a new user and see if you can log in with it. If so, check
    permissions for all the files including "." files - compare the two
    home dirs.

    MT

  3. Re: KDE freezes after login

    Michael Thomas schrieb:
    > On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:23:06 +0100, Bernhard Kastner <0wn4g3@gmx.at>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hi ng,
    >>
    >>my KDE freezes after the login-screen. After logging in, either the
    >>KDE-Splashscreen appears (and then freezes at "initializing devices") or
    >>it it doesn't and freezes immediately.
    >>So what have I've done: It all worked correctly, until I ran a
    >>nvidia-installer-script from my distributor (kanotix). After rebooting
    >>the next day, the behaviour occured. OK, I thought, maybe I have to
    >>remove the module and it works then, I need a new SMP kernel anyways, so
    >>I compiled a new kernel, without installing the nvidia driver, but the
    >>problem is still the same.
    >>When starting IceWM, everything is fine, even when starting KDE via
    >>"startx" and not via kdm, it works properly!
    >>I already checked google, but found nothing that helped me, despite
    >>similar problem descriptions.
    >>
    >>Please help...
    >>
    >>Bernhard
    >>

    > Your logs might tell you more than dmesg. I run Debian, and after a
    > kde update the .ICEauthority file changed ownership and gave me an
    > error message - wouldn't let me log in. You might want to try
    > creating a new user and see if you can log in with it. If so, check
    > permissions for all the files including "." files - compare the two
    > home dirs.
    >
    > MT

    I checked every file in my homedir and it had the same permissions as
    the new user has. But .ICEauthority contains some lines with my
    non-working user and has a size of 0 on my (new) working user...

    As chris dewbery in alt.os.linux suggested, I checked my
    ~/.xsession-errors. Unfortunately, there is nothing in it but one line
    "XSession startet for ... at ..." because KDE simply freezes after the
    kdm-login.

    Right now I'm again logged in using the command "startx" which works
    quite OK, but can't be a solution.
    It throws some uninteresting lines in the .xsession-errors and the
    following warnings and errors, that might be interesting:

    -------------------------------
    Xsession: X session started for Kastna at Di Nov 1 10:44:16 CET 2005
    startkde: Starting up...
    kbuildsycoca running...
    DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
    libhal.c 644 : Error connecting to system bus: Failed to connect to
    socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht
    gefunden
    kcminit: ERROR: Access denied to driver shared memory
    [...]
    kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KActionCollection::KActionCollection(
    QObject *parent, const char *name, KInstance *instance )
    [...]
    (Gecko:8242): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_property_get(): length value has
    wrapped in calculation (did you pass G_MAXLONG?)
    -------------------------------

    I just cut out some debug-lines from xmms and amarok...

    Do these lines tell anybody something?

    I'm really confused, because my newly created user works absolutely
    correct, so maybe there are some files that lock a kdm-session because
    of a not properly terminated old kdm-session?

  4. Re: KDE freezes after login

    On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 10:48:56 +0100, Bernhard Kastner <0wn4g3@gmx.at>
    wrote:

    >Michael Thomas schrieb:
    >> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:23:06 +0100, Bernhard Kastner <0wn4g3@gmx.at>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi ng,
    >>>
    >>>my KDE freezes after the login-screen. After logging in, either the
    >>>KDE-Splashscreen appears (and then freezes at "initializing devices") or
    >>>it it doesn't and freezes immediately.
    >>>So what have I've done: It all worked correctly, until I ran a
    >>>nvidia-installer-script from my distributor (kanotix). After rebooting
    >>>the next day, the behaviour occured. OK, I thought, maybe I have to
    >>>remove the module and it works then, I need a new SMP kernel anyways, so
    >>>I compiled a new kernel, without installing the nvidia driver, but the
    >>>problem is still the same.
    >>>When starting IceWM, everything is fine, even when starting KDE via
    >>>"startx" and not via kdm, it works properly!
    >>>I already checked google, but found nothing that helped me, despite
    >>>similar problem descriptions.
    >>>
    >>>Please help...
    >>>
    >>>Bernhard
    >>>

    >> Your logs might tell you more than dmesg. I run Debian, and after a
    >> kde update the .ICEauthority file changed ownership and gave me an
    >> error message - wouldn't let me log in. You might want to try
    >> creating a new user and see if you can log in with it. If so, check
    >> permissions for all the files including "." files - compare the two
    >> home dirs.
    >>
    >> MT

    >I checked every file in my homedir and it had the same permissions as
    >the new user has. But .ICEauthority contains some lines with my
    >non-working user and has a size of 0 on my (new) working user...

    Once a kde session starts, the file is written. You should only see
    the file have 0 byes when there is no connection via that user.

    >As chris dewbery in alt.os.linux suggested, I checked my
    >~/.xsession-errors. Unfortunately, there is nothing in it but one line
    >"XSession startet for ... at ..." because KDE simply freezes after the
    >kdm-login.
    >
    >Right now I'm again logged in using the command "startx" which works
    >quite OK, but can't be a solution.
    >It throws some uninteresting lines in the .xsession-errors and the
    >following warnings and errors, that might be interesting:

    I would think the problem has to lie within the ~/homedir, since
    everything works correctly with newly created users. I would try
    clearing out all the kde related /tmp files (you can save them off to
    a temp directory and let kde rebuild them), and make sure that all the
    symlinks are setup correctly under ~/.kde/.

    Just keep poking around comparing both users. I suppose if you want
    to save time, you can just recreate the user account after moving off
    any data that you need to keep.

    mthomas@nitro:~/.kde$ ls -al
    total 16
    drwx------ 4 mthomas mthomas 4096 2005-11-01 09:45 .
    drwxr-xr-x 15 mthomas mthomas 4096 2005-11-01 09:50 ..
    drwx------ 2 mthomas mthomas 4096 2005-10-24 18:59 Autostart
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 mthomas mthomas 25 2005-10-25 10:30 cache-nitro ->
    /var/tmp/kdecache-mthomas
    drwx------ 8 mthomas mthomas 4096 2005-10-24 18:59 share
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 mthomas mthomas 20 2005-10-25 10:30 socket-nitro ->
    /tmp/ksocket-mthomas
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 mthomas mthomas 16 2005-10-25 10:30 tmp-nitro ->
    /tmp/kde-mthomas

    Good luck,

    MT

  5. Re: KDE freezes after login

    Michael Thomas schrieb:
    > I would think the problem has to lie within the ~/homedir, since
    > everything works correctly with newly created users. I would try
    > clearing out all the kde related /tmp files (you can save them off to
    > a temp directory and let kde rebuild them), and make sure that all the
    > symlinks are setup correctly under ~/.kde/.
    >
    > I suppose if you want
    > to save time, you can just recreate the user account after moving off
    > any data that you need to keep.
    >

    > Good luck,
    >
    > MT

    Well, I just recreated the user and saved the data I needed, including
    the complete .kde-dir, so the problem must have been somewhere in my
    homedir. We'll never know )
    Anyways, it works again, thanks for the hints

  6. Re: KDE freezes after login

    Bernhard Kastner wrote:
    > Anyways, it works again, thanks for the hints

    Oh, I cancel that! **** KDE! Just 15 minutes ago amarok froze and i
    couldn't login to KDE anymore. Now I can't even copy the
    mozilla-profiles! **** that, I think I have to completely reinstall the
    whole damn system...

  7. Re: KDE freezes after login

    On 2005-11-02, Bernhard Kastner wrote:
    > Bernhard Kastner wrote:
    >> Anyways, it works again, thanks for the hints

    > Oh, I cancel that! **** KDE! Just 15 minutes ago amarok froze and i
    > couldn't login to KDE anymore. Now I can't even copy the
    > mozilla-profiles! **** that, I think I have to completely reinstall the
    > whole damn system...

    Of course you don't have to reinstall. Just use something other
    than KDE.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson | Author:
    | Shell Scripting Recipes:
    Any code in this post is released | A Problem-Solution Approach,
    under the GNU General Public Licence | 2005, Apress

+ Reply to Thread