what am I doing wrong - Debian

This is a discussion on what am I doing wrong - Debian ; Hi, I must start by saying I'm a complete newbie to the world of iso's etc so please be gentle with me. I'm also a complete newbie to linux too so I'm unsure as to whether I'm in the right ...

  1. what am I doing wrong

    Hi,

    I must start by saying I'm a complete newbie to the world of iso's etc so
    please be gentle with me. I'm also a complete newbie to linux too so I'm
    unsure as to whether I'm in the right group. (a pointer to the right one if
    I'm not would be much appreciated)

    I recently inherited a computer to which I wanted to try out the Linux OS
    and so I downloaded the Knoppix OS from one of the mirror sites. It came in
    the "Winrar" zipped format. When I extracted the files, it extracted into
    one file called "Knoppix_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.ISO" but that was also in the
    zipped Winrar format. So when I extracted that one it became a folder
    called "Knoppix_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN" which contained 3 autorun files, an
    index file and a file called cdrom and two further folders called "Boot" and
    "Knoppix"

    Now I assumed that these extracted files and folders were the ones to burn
    on to disk and so I did, but as yet, I have not managed to get it to boot
    from the dvd. (I've already changed the bios settings for the computer to
    boot from cd/dvd so I know that isn't the problem).

    I haven't a clue what I'm doing wrong, any help would be very much
    appreciated.

  2. Re: what am I doing wrong

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 00:39:20 -0000, angel
    wrote in alt.os.linux.debian:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I must start by saying I'm a complete newbie to the world of iso's etc so
    > please be gentle with me. I'm also a complete newbie to linux too so I'm
    > unsure as to whether I'm in the right group. (a pointer to the right one if
    > I'm not would be much appreciated)
    >
    > I recently inherited a computer to which I wanted to try out the Linux OS
    > and so I downloaded the Knoppix OS from one of the mirror sites. It came in
    > the "Winrar" zipped format. When I extracted the files, it extracted into
    > one file called "Knoppix_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.ISO" but that was also in the
    > zipped Winrar format. So when I extracted that one

    That's what you did wrong. You should burn the .iso file to a CD,
    without extracting files from it. As far as I can remember from my
    Windows days, most CD-burning software will give you the option to
    create a CD based on the .iso image instead of copying its contents to
    a folder on the CD.

    PJR :-)
    --
    alt.usenet.kooks award-winners and FAQ:

  3. Re: what am I doing wrong

    angel wrote:

    > I recently inherited a computer to which I wanted to try out the Linux OS
    > and so I downloaded the Knoppix OS from one of the mirror sites. It came in
    > the "Winrar" zipped format. When I extracted the files, it extracted into
    > one file called "Knoppix_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.ISO" but that was also in the
    > zipped Winrar format. So when I extracted that one it became a folder
    > called "Knoppix_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN" which contained 3 autorun files, an
    > index file and a file called cdrom and two further folders called "Boot" and
    > "Knoppix"

    The file you need to download and burn to disk is
    "Knoppix_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.ISO" and be sure to burn as an ISO. In both
    popular CD burning applications in Windows, Nero and Roxio, there is an
    option to burn as an ISO. The CD will then be bootable.

    JohnA

    --
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows or gates?

  4. Re: what am I doing wrong

    "johnA" wrote in message
    > angel wrote:
    >

    > > I recently inherited a computer to which I wanted to try out the Linux

    OS
    > > and so I downloaded the Knoppix OS from one of the mirror sites. It

    came in
    > > the "Winrar" zipped format. When I extracted the files, it extracted

    into
    > > one file called "Knoppix_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.ISO" but that was also in

    the
    > > zipped Winrar format. So when I extracted that one it became a folder
    > > called "Knoppix_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN" which contained 3 autorun files, an
    > > index file and a file called cdrom and two further folders called "Boot"

    and
    > > "Knoppix"

    > The file you need to download and burn to disk is
    > "Knoppix_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.ISO" and be sure to burn as an ISO. In both
    > popular CD burning applications in Windows, Nero and Roxio, there is an
    > option to burn as an ISO. The CD will then be bootable.
    >
    > JohnA

    To John and Peter, thanks for your replies. I now have a better picture of
    what went wrong. For some reason when I downloaded from the mirror site my
    software defaulted to save as a winrar archive file as yet I have no idea
    why.

    I'll try downloading it again.

  5. Re: what am I doing wrong

    "johnA" wrote in message
    > angel wrote:
    >

    > > I recently inherited a computer to which I wanted to try out the Linux

    OS
    > > and so I downloaded the Knoppix OS from one of the mirror sites. It

    came in
    > > the "Winrar" zipped format. When I extracted the files, it extracted

    into
    > > one file called "Knoppix_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.ISO" but that was also in

    the
    > > zipped Winrar format. So when I extracted that one it became a folder
    > > called "Knoppix_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN" which contained 3 autorun files, an
    > > index file and a file called cdrom and two further folders called "Boot"

    and
    > > "Knoppix"

    > The file you need to download and burn to disk is
    > "Knoppix_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.ISO" and be sure to burn as an ISO. In both
    > popular CD burning applications in Windows, Nero and Roxio, there is an
    > option to burn as an ISO. The CD will then be bootable.
    >
    > JohnA

    To John and Peter, thanks for your replies. I now have a better picture of
    what went wrong. For some reason when I downloaded from the mirror site my
    software defaulted to save as a winrar archive file as yet I have no idea
    why.

    I'll try downloading it again.

+ Reply to Thread