Zenith Z-120 software needed - CP/M

This is a discussion on Zenith Z-120 software needed - CP/M ; Hello, I recently got a dead Zenith Z-120 and I succesfully repaired it. Now I'd like to play a little with the computer but I need software since no disk came with it. Is there anyone who can help me ...

  1. Zenith Z-120 software needed

    Hello,
    I recently got a dead Zenith Z-120 and I succesfully repaired it. Now
    I'd like to play a little with the computer but I need software since no
    disk came with it. Is there anyone who can help me to get some OSes for
    this computer?
    By the way I live in Italy...
    Thanks in advantage

    Andrea

    --
    http://myretrocomputing.altervista.org/

  2. Re: Zenith Z-120 software needed

    Andrea wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I recently got a dead Zenith Z-120 and I succesfully repaired it. Now
    > I'd like to play a little with the computer but I need software since no
    > disk came with it. Is there anyone who can help me to get some OSes for
    > this computer?
    > By the way I live in Italy...

    Andrea,

    Is this the same series as the Z-100 (dual CPU -- Z-80 and 8085, with
    S-100 expansion inside)? If so, I have CP/M disk images, along with
    disk images for maintenance utilities. I also have some scanned
    manuals in .PDF format.

    Please email me privately, and I'll see what I can dig up and email to
    you.

    Thanks!
    Rich B.

  3. Re: Zenith Z-120 software needed

    Rich wrote:

    > Is this the same series as the Z-100 (dual CPU -- Z-80 and 8085, with
    > S-100 expansion inside)?

    Yes it is.

    > Please email me privately, and I'll see what I can dig up and email to
    > you.

    I've heard that I could be able to download some applications but I
    should need at least the OS on a real disk to make the computer work.
    Anyway you've received a new message

    Regards
    Andrea

    --
    http://myretrocomputing.altervista.org/

  4. Re: Zenith Z-120 software needed

    Yes, actually there was no such machine as a "Z-100", the actual model
    numbers were Z-110 for the low profile models and Z-120 for the
    "all-in-one" models.

    Rich wrote:

    > Andrea wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>I recently got a dead Zenith Z-120 and I succesfully repaired it. Now
    >>I'd like to play a little with the computer but I need software since no
    >>disk came with it. Is there anyone who can help me to get some OSes for
    >>this computer?
    >>By the way I live in Italy...

    > Andrea,
    >
    > Is this the same series as the Z-100 (dual CPU -- Z-80 and 8085, with
    > S-100 expansion inside)? If so, I have CP/M disk images, along with
    > disk images for maintenance utilities. I also have some scanned
    > manuals in .PDF format.
    >
    > Please email me privately, and I'll see what I can dig up and email to
    > you.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Rich B.

  5. Re: Zenith Z-120 software needed

    > I've heard that I could be able to download some applications but I
    > should need at least the OS on a real disk to make the computer work.
    > Anyway you've received a new message

    Got your message ... I'm replying here because my work doesn't allow
    web-based email access :-(

    I found my scanned manuals ... If you need documentation, I do have a
    good amount of it (mostly technical, including schematics). If you
    need any of this stuff, I can post .PDF files onthe Web someplace for
    you to download.....

    As for the software ... Still searching .... I know I made a CD for
    some folks a while back, and I'm digging for the .ISO file....

    I'll let you know ASAP when I find it...

    Rich B.

  6. Re: Zenith Z-120 software needed

    Andrea wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I recently got a dead Zenith Z-120 and I succesfully repaired it.
    > Now I'd like to play a little with the computer but I need software
    > since no disk came with it. Is there anyone who can help me to get
    > some OSes for this computer? By the way I live in Italy...
    > --
    > http://myretrocomputing.altervista.org/

    Dear Andrea,

    I have a few Z-120's myself. They are nice machines; basically an
    improved 8088 PC with better graphics and an S-100 expansion bus. They
    also have an 8085 and so can run CP/M directly.

    There were many operating systems for these computers. I have CP/M-85
    (really CP/M-80), CP/M-86 (same thing but for for the 8088), and several
    versions of DOS; ZDOS (really MS-DOS version 1), MS-DOS 2.1, 3.1, and
    4.0.

    Note that the Z-120 is not a "PC Compatible"; it does not run most
    standard IBM PC programs. But versions of all the popular programs of
    the day were available for it. Some I still have! Also, there is a
    program called ZPC which makes a Z-120 emulate about 90% of PC programs
    so they run (with a few quirks).

    The biggest challenge for us is distance. I can copy and mail the 5.25"
    floppies you'd need, but postage would be expensive. Z-120's also came
    with dozens of huge manuals. I have these, but they occupy 6 feet of
    bookshelf space! They would be prohibitively expensive to copy and mail.

    I think it comes down to how serious you are. If you want to send me a
    few US dollars for postage, I will send as many disks as it will pay
    for. Pick an operating system you know, so you won't need the manuals.
    Then you can boot it, and start to play :-)
    --
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget the perfect offering

  7. Re: Zenith Z-120 software needed

    Lee Hart wrote:

    [cut]

    > I think it comes down to how serious you are. If you want to send me a
    > few US dollars for postage, I will send as many disks as it will pay
    > for. Pick an operating system you know, so you won't need the manuals.
    > Then you can boot it, and start to play :-)

    Thanks for your offer, it sounds great to me, I think shipping won't be
    so much expensive anyway. I still have a few dollars left from my last
    visit to the US, so it won't be a problem. If your email address is
    valid I can write you and discuss details.

    Bye
    Andrea

    --
    http://myretrocomputing.altervista.org/

  8. Re: Zenith Z-120 software needed

    Howard Harte's web site has almost all of the Z-100 manuals, including
    the service manual and technical manual, in .PDF format [I scanned and
    contributed most of it].

    Lee Hart wrote:
    > Andrea wrote:
    >

    >>Hello,
    >>I recently got a dead Zenith Z-120 and I succesfully repaired it.
    >>Now I'd like to play a little with the computer but I need software
    >>since no disk came with it. Is there anyone who can help me to get
    >>some OSes for this computer? By the way I live in Italy...
    >>--
    >>http://myretrocomputing.altervista.org/

    > Dear Andrea,
    >
    > I have a few Z-120's myself. They are nice machines; basically an
    > improved 8088 PC with better graphics and an S-100 expansion bus. They
    > also have an 8085 and so can run CP/M directly.
    >
    > There were many operating systems for these computers. I have CP/M-85
    > (really CP/M-80), CP/M-86 (same thing but for for the 8088), and several
    > versions of DOS; ZDOS (really MS-DOS version 1), MS-DOS 2.1, 3.1, and
    > 4.0.
    >
    > Note that the Z-120 is not a "PC Compatible"; it does not run most
    > standard IBM PC programs. But versions of all the popular programs of
    > the day were available for it. Some I still have! Also, there is a
    > program called ZPC which makes a Z-120 emulate about 90% of PC programs
    > so they run (with a few quirks).
    >
    > The biggest challenge for us is distance. I can copy and mail the 5.25"
    > floppies you'd need, but postage would be expensive. Z-120's also came
    > with dozens of huge manuals. I have these, but they occupy 6 feet of
    > bookshelf space! They would be prohibitively expensive to copy and mail.
    >
    > I think it comes down to how serious you are. If you want to send me a
    > few US dollars for postage, I will send as many disks as it will pay
    > for. Pick an operating system you know, so you won't need the manuals.
    > Then you can boot it, and start to play :-)

  9. Re: Zenith Z-120 software needed

    Rich wrote:

    > I found my scanned manuals ... If you need documentation, I do have a
    > good amount of it (mostly technical, including schematics). If you
    > need any of this stuff, I can post .PDF files onthe Web someplace for
    > you to download.....

    I found some documentation on-line in .pdf format. If you have something
    more that is not included here:

    maybe it would be a good idea to upload it somewhere...I could host it
    on my site too...
    There is actually something I havent' found: the technical manual form
    my motherboard revision, that is the 2806 revision. I could only find
    the schematics.

    > As for the software ... Still searching .... I know I made a CD for
    > some folks a while back, and I'm digging for the .ISO file....
    >
    > I'll let you know ASAP when I find it...

    Thanks Rich,

    Andrea

    --
    http://myretrocomputing.altervista.org/

  10. Re: Zenith Z-120 software needed

    Here:

    http://www.hartetechnologies.com/manuals/

    Almost everything is available.

    Andrea wrote:

    > Rich wrote:
    >

    >>I found my scanned manuals ... If you need documentation, I do have a
    >>good amount of it (mostly technical, including schematics). If you
    >>need any of this stuff, I can post .PDF files onthe Web someplace for
    >>you to download.....

    > I found some documentation on-line in .pdf format. If you have something
    > more that is not included here:
    >

    > maybe it would be a good idea to upload it somewhere...I could host it
    > on my site too...
    > There is actually something I havent' found: the technical manual form
    > my motherboard revision, that is the 2806 revision. I could only find
    > the schematics.
    >

    >>As for the software ... Still searching .... I know I made a CD for
    >>some folks a while back, and I'm digging for the .ISO file....
    >>
    >>I'll let you know ASAP when I find it...

    > Thanks Rich,
    >
    > Andrea

  11. Re: Zenith Z-120 software needed

    Andrea wrote:
    > Thanks for your offer, it sounds great to me, I think shipping won't be
    > so much expensive anyway. I still have a few dollars left from my last
    > visit to the US, so it won't be a problem. If your email address is
    > valid I can write you and discuss details.

    Ok, Andrea and I have hooked up by email, so we won't need to bother the
    newsgroup further.