Need help with Morrow 32K SuperRam switch settings - CP/M

This is a discussion on Need help with Morrow 32K SuperRam switch settings - CP/M ; This board has a single 8-position dip switch. I'm testing it in a system with another 32K board (not Morrow) addressed at 8000h. I've tried the switch set to all ON and all OFF, figuring that one or the other ...

  1. Need help with Morrow 32K SuperRam switch settings

    This board has a single 8-position dip switch. I'm testing it in a
    system with another 32K board (not Morrow) addressed at 8000h.

    I've tried the switch set to all ON and all OFF, figuring that one or
    the other should address it at 0000 but no go yet. I'd like to try to
    verify that I've guessed correctly on the switch settings before I
    start actually tearing in to the board.

    Anybody have the docs or know the correct settings to locate this
    board at 0000-7FFF?

    Thanks,
    Jack

  2. Re: Need help with Morrow 32K SuperRam switch settings

    >This board has a single 8-position dip switch. I'm testing it in a
    >system with another 32K board (not Morrow) addressed at 8000h.

    >I've tried the switch set to all ON and all OFF, figuring that one or
    >the other should address it at 0000 but no go yet. I'd like to try to
    >verify that I've guessed correctly on the switch settings before I
    >start actually tearing in to the board.

    >Anybody have the docs or know the correct settings to locate this
    >board at 0000-7FFF?

    Jack,

    I don't know if this will be useful, but I do have the manuals for the
    16k and 24k Morrow superram cards on my site - if you are lucky
    the settings may be similar enough that you can figure it out.

    --
    dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com
    dunfield. Classic computer collection: www.classiccmp.org/dunfield

  3. Re: Need help with Morrow 32K SuperRam switch settings

    There are at least 2 different 16K morrow cards .... one uses 2114's,
    one uses 4044's and the layouts are quite different.

    Dave Dunfield wrote:
    >> This board has a single 8-position dip switch. I'm testing it in a
    >> system with another 32K board (not Morrow) addressed at 8000h.

    >> I've tried the switch set to all ON and all OFF, figuring that one or
    >> the other should address it at 0000 but no go yet. I'd like to try to
    >> verify that I've guessed correctly on the switch settings before I
    >> start actually tearing in to the board.

    >> Anybody have the docs or know the correct settings to locate this
    >> board at 0000-7FFF?

    > Jack,
    >
    > I don't know if this will be useful, but I do have the manuals for the
    > 16k and 24k Morrow superram cards on my site - if you are lucky
    > the settings may be similar enough that you can figure it out.
    >
    > --
    > dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com
    > dunfield. Classic computer collection: www.classiccmp.org/dunfield
    > com Some stuff I have for sale: www.dunfield.com/sale

  4. Re: Need help with Morrow 32K SuperRam switch settings

    JackRubin wrote:
    > This board has a single 8-position dip switch. I'm testing it in a
    > system with another 32K board (not Morrow) addressed at 8000h.

    > I've tried the switch set to all ON and all OFF, figuring that one or
    > the other should address it at 0000 but no go yet. I'd like to try to
    > verify that I've guessed correctly on the switch settings before I
    > start actually tearing in to the board.

    > Anybody have the docs or know the correct settings to locate this
    > board at 0000-7FFF?

    I know I have the manual for this card somewhere. I should have the
    time to go digging for it next week.

    --
    David Griffith

  5. Re: Need help with Morrow 32K SuperRam switch settings

    On Oct 4, 2:52 pm, Barry Watzman wrote:
    > There are at least 2 different 16K morrow cards .... one uses 2114's,
    > one uses 4044's and the layouts are quite different.

    Dave D has the manual for the 2114 version, I have the manual for the
    4044 version (denoted as SuperRam 16k-A). Both are reminders that
    George Morrow rarely did things the easy way! Clever yes, flexible
    yes, intuitive - not to me.

    Hopefully Dave G will locate his manual soon ...

  6. Re: Need help with Morrow 32K SuperRam switch settings

    > I know I have the manual for this card somewhere. I should have the
    > time to go digging for it next week.

    please - and thank you

  7. Re: Need help with Morrow 32K SuperRam switch settings

    Any chance of getting your manual? I have the 2114 manual, but not the
    4044 manual.

    Barry Watzman
    Watzman@neo.rr.com

    JackRubin wrote:
    > On Oct 4, 2:52 pm, Barry Watzman wrote:
    >> There are at least 2 different 16K morrow cards .... one uses 2114's,
    >> one uses 4044's and the layouts are quite different.
    >>

    > Dave D has the manual for the 2114 version, I have the manual for the
    > 4044 version (denoted as SuperRam 16k-A). Both are reminders that
    > George Morrow rarely did things the easy way! Clever yes, flexible
    > yes, intuitive - not to me.
    >
    > Hopefully Dave G will locate his manual soon ...

  8. Re: Need help with Morrow 32K SuperRam switch settings

    On Oct 4, 3:52 pm, Barry Watzman wrote:
    > There are at least 2 different 16K morrow cards .... one uses 2114's,
    > one uses 4044's and the layouts are quite different.

    I THINK I've identified four kinds of Morrow "Superram" boards, by
    variations of RAM chips or
    DIP switch layout. I"d be glad to "stock" manuals for each but I only
    have two of four.
    Here's my current description of each kind. I'd appreciate any
    corrections of these descriptions.

    SuperRam Users Manual, 16K memory. 30 pgs
    two 4 X 4 arrays of 2114 RAM; has 74154 chip (24/28 pin);
    board says "SuperRam" in large white text
    three DIP switches on top edge of board.

    ThinkerToys SuperRam 16k-A User's Manual, 24 pgs
    two 4 X 4 arrays of 4044 RAM;
    board says "SuperRam 16" in small text
    three DIP switches on top edge of board.

    ThinkerToys SuperRam 16K - manual not available
    one 4 X 8 array of 2114 RAM; 74154 chip;
    board says "SuperRam 16K" (?) in small white text
    "Thinker Toys" in larger white text.
    three sets of DIP switches near top edge,
    three more sets of DIP switches on board

    ThinkerToys SuperRAM 32K, 32K board - manual not available
    two 4 X 4 arrays of MM5257 (4044?) static RAM;
    Board says "SUPERRAM 32" in large white letters,
    Has ONE DIP switch of 8 switches, near top edge.

    Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA