SWP Co-Power-88 board - CP/M

This is a discussion on SWP Co-Power-88 board - CP/M ; Hallo folks Does anyone have documentation of the "SWP Co-Power-88 board " This board is an extension of the Kaypro 10 and will be usefull for Ramdisk or Msdos on a Kaypro. After searching on the web I found a ...

  1. SWP Co-Power-88 board

    Hallo folks

    Does anyone have documentation of the "SWP Co-Power-88 board "
    This board is an extension of the Kaypro 10 and will be usefull for Ramdisk
    or Msdos on a Kaypro.
    After searching on the web I found a board mentioned above.
    I would appriciat if you can help me with all info you have.
    Thanks

    Jos

  2. Re: SWP Co-Power-88 board

    Jos,

    I found the following link:

    http://www.zorba.z80.de/swp.htm

    It appears to have all the software and schematics.

    Don

  3. Re: SWP Co-Power-88 board

    On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 08:57:16 +0100, "j.e. van der geest"
    wrote:

    >Hallo folks
    >
    >Does anyone have documentation of the "SWP Co-Power-88 board "
    >This board is an extension of the Kaypro 10 and will be usefull for Ramdisk
    >or Msdos on a Kaypro.
    >After searching on the web I found a board mentioned above.
    >I would appriciat if you can help me with all info you have.
    >Thanks
    >
    >Jos

    There were two series of boards, the early ones used specific adapter
    boards for each computer model and the copower part could take up to
    256K memory. The later versions used a generic adapter and could take
    up to 1 meg of memory, 980K free memory for use. The msdos files were
    host computer specific since each specific piece of hardware had to be
    accounted for. It was approximated as 50% msdos compatible since it
    would read and write msdos formatted disks (assuming 5 1/4 in drives
    in the computer) and would run most msdos text based programs

    I have the osborne specific adapter board and a generic one that is
    currently installed in my Xerox 820-II HD. I got the osborne adapter
    with a 1 meg board with the msdos boot disk, the generic adapter I got
    later without msdos. After the Osborne 1 that I had the copower in
    burned up its power supply when my apartment lost its airconditioning
    in the middle of the summer, I bought the generic to put it in any of
    my other comps. As you might infer from my message there were two
    boards, one the host adapter, the other the cpu and memory.

    The 256K version used 4164 ram and the 1 meg version used 41256 ram
    chips.

    There were versions marketed with kaypro 4's and 10's the 4-88 and
    10-88. Those were the 256K versions as I recall, the 1 meg version was
    referred to as the copower +.

  4. Re: SWP Co-Power-88 board

    I noticed that the BIOS image (2732 EPROM) was not on the web site I
    found. Bummer. :-( At any rate, the MS-DOS programs must be "Clean
    programs". By that I mean that all application programs must interface
    through the operating system. What burned down a lot of so called
    MS-DOS compatable programs and systems is that they sometimes bypassed
    the OS and used direct BIOS calls. These programs won't run on any
    Co-power board.

    I know I have stated the obvious for us "old timers" that have been
    around for a while. I though I would bring it up for the benefit of any
    yougsters in the group. :-)

    As a side note, I once had a Hallock Systems CO-1668 68000 based
    co-processor on my old Xerox 820-1. It had 2 Meg of memory and was able
    to run CP/M-68K. It also supported a RAM drive under CP/M-80. The
    CO-1668 basically used the Z80 CP/M system as a file and I/O server.
    All of the CP/M-68K system calls were sent to the Z80 system and then
    converted to CP/M-80 calls and then the operation was completed. Kind
    of slow but it worked.

    Don

  5. Re: SWP Co-Power-88 board

    Don wrote:

    > I noticed that the BIOS image (2732 EPROM) was not on the web site
    > I found. Bummer. :-( At any rate, the MS-DOS programs must be
    > "Clean programs". By that I mean that all application programs
    > must interface through the operating system. What burned down a
    > lot of so called MS-DOS compatable programs and systems is that
    > they sometimes bypassed the OS and used direct BIOS calls. These
    > programs won't run on any Co-power board.

    I had one on my K4-83 machine, and IIRC it provided at least some
    of the bios calls, such as disk i/o and console i/o, but not timer
    etc. What was definitely not present was anything like direct
    video memory access.

    Please provide context to your messages. The following will enable
    you to do that even on the foully broken google interface to
    usenet. Read the URLs.

    More details at:
    Also see

  6. Re: SWP Co-Power-88 board

    Don

    Yesterday I received the SWP Co-Power-88 board.
    The board is specific for the Kaypro 10 and has 256 kb Memory on board.
    The (my) question is:
    I downloaded the software on www.zorba.z80.de/swp.htm
    But there is a problem in converting the software from Zorba to Kaypro10.
    From the image files I made a Zorba-format disk (with Teledisk) So far so
    good.
    After than I tried to read and to copy these files from Zorba-disk to
    harddisk (with 22disk) in attempt to create a Kaypro10 disk. I did not
    succeed in copying the Zorba files to it.
    Don, maybe you can me advise, maybe another lookalike 22disk program.
    BTW I'll be glad you will send me info about the HD WD1002

    Jos

    "Don" schreef in bericht
    news:1141327812.970610.220000@j33g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >I noticed that the BIOS image (2732 EPROM) was not on the web site I
    > found. Bummer. :-( At any rate, the MS-DOS programs must be "Clean
    > programs". By that I mean that all application programs must interface
    > through the operating system. What burned down a lot of so called
    > MS-DOS compatable programs and systems is that they sometimes bypassed
    > the OS and used direct BIOS calls. These programs won't run on any
    > Co-power board.
    >
    > I know I have stated the obvious for us "old timers" that have been
    > around for a while. I though I would bring it up for the benefit of any
    > yougsters in the group. :-)
    >
    > As a side note, I once had a Hallock Systems CO-1668 68000 based
    > co-processor on my old Xerox 820-1. It had 2 Meg of memory and was able
    > to run CP/M-68K. It also supported a RAM drive under CP/M-80. The
    > CO-1668 basically used the Z80 CP/M system as a file and I/O server.
    > All of the CP/M-68K system calls were sent to the Z80 system and then
    > converted to CP/M-80 calls and then the operation was completed. Kind
    > of slow but it worked.
    >
    > Don

  7. Re: SWP Co-Power-88 board

    j.e. van der geest wrote:
    > Don
    >
    > Yesterday I received the SWP Co-Power-88 board.
    > The board is specific for the Kaypro 10 and has 256 kb Memory on board.
    > The (my) question is:
    > I downloaded the software on www.zorba.z80.de/swp.htm
    > But there is a problem in converting the software from Zorba to Kaypro10.
    > From the image files I made a Zorba-format disk (with Teledisk) So far so
    > good.
    > After than I tried to read and to copy these files from Zorba-disk to
    > harddisk (with 22disk) in attempt to create a Kaypro10 disk. I did not
    > succeed in copying the Zorba files to it.
    > Don, maybe you can me advise, maybe another lookalike 22disk program.
    > BTW I'll be glad you will send me info about the HD WD1002
    >
    > Jos

    Jos

    I just tried the same thing using two different PC's with the same
    result. I couldn't read the disks with either 22DISK on the PC or
    Uniform on my K10. I sent an email to the fellow who runs that web site
    so we'll see what he has to say.

    Your WD1002 was shipped today along with a 70 page OEM manual and full
    schematics.

    Don

+ Reply to Thread