Status of QP/M 2.7 - CP/M

This is a discussion on Status of QP/M 2.7 - CP/M ; Hi All, I was wondering what the status is of QP/M 2.7 from MicroCode Consulting? I had a copy of this OS many years ago that ran on my Xerox 820-1. I now longer have the manual or master 8" ...

  1. Status of QP/M 2.7

    Hi All,

    I was wondering what the status is of QP/M 2.7 from MicroCode
    Consulting? I had a copy of this OS many years ago that ran on my Xerox
    820-1. I now longer have the manual or master 8" disks, or the Xerox
    820 for that matter, anymore but still have a set of bootable 5-1/4"
    disks I made. I was wondering if this OS is in the same classification
    as CP/M-80. I was thinking of cloning the old 820 and try to get QP/M
    running again.

    Thanks
    Don

  2. Re: Status of QP/M 2.7

    In article <1136771934.892800.114870@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups. com>,
    "Don" writes:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was wondering what the status is of QP/M 2.7 from MicroCode
    > Consulting? I had a copy of this OS many years ago that ran on my Xerox
    > 820-1. I now longer have the manual or master 8" disks, or the Xerox
    > 820 for that matter, anymore but still have a set of bootable 5-1/4"
    > disks I made. I was wondering if this OS is in the same classification
    > as CP/M-80. I was thinking of cloning the old 820 and try to get QP/M
    > running again.

    Cloning an 820! Somehere in my attic U still have a brandnew 820
    motherboard. I just never had the chance to gather all the parts
    and solder it together.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  3. Re: Status of QP/M 2.7

    "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
    > In article <1136771934.892800.114870@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups. com>,
    > "Don" writes:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I was wondering what the status is of QP/M 2.7 from MicroCode
    > > Consulting? I had a copy of this OS many years ago that ran on my Xerox
    > > 820-1. I now longer have the manual or master 8" disks, or the Xerox
    > > 820 for that matter, anymore but still have a set of bootable 5-1/4"
    > > disks I made. I was wondering if this OS is in the same classification
    > > as CP/M-80. I was thinking of cloning the old 820 and try to get QP/M
    > > running again.

    > Cloning an 820! Somehere in my attic U still have a brandnew 820
    > motherboard. I just never had the chance to gather all the parts
    > and solder it together.
    >
    > bill

  4. Re: Status of QP/M 2.7

    (Lets try this again)

    Hi Bill,

    Looks like I have a lot of time don't I. :-)

    I built my 820-I form a blank PCB about 1982 or so. I started with the basic
    system running at 2.5MHz and then upgraded it to 4 and then 5MHz. I added
    the double density FDC controller and had four drives on it, two 8" and two
    5-1/4". I then added a 10 Meg hard drive system. The "Icing on the cake" was
    a Hallock Systems CO-1668 68000 system that was piggybacked on the 820-I. It
    ran CP/M-68K and used the CP/M-80 system as a file and I/O server. It was
    quite a contraption to say the least. Anyway, I sure had a lot of fun with
    that system and miss it a lot.

    My reason for wanting to clone it is to tinker with a bigger hard drive and
    larger partitions. For the last couple of years I have been playing with
    another 8-bit OS and have had a 4.2Gig hard drive with 128 partitions of
    16Meg each on it and it runs great. So thought I would give CP/M-80 a shot.

    Don

    "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
    > In article <1136771934.892800.114870@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups. com>,
    > "Don" writes:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I was wondering what the status is of QP/M 2.7 from MicroCode
    > > Consulting? I had a copy of this OS many years ago that ran on my Xerox
    > > 820-1. I now longer have the manual or master 8" disks, or the Xerox
    > > 820 for that matter, anymore but still have a set of bootable 5-1/4"
    > > disks I made. I was wondering if this OS is in the same classification
    > > as CP/M-80. I was thinking of cloning the old 820 and try to get QP/M
    > > running again.

    > Cloning an 820! Somehere in my attic U still have a brandnew 820
    > motherboard. I just never had the chance to gather all the parts
    > and solder it together.
    >
    > bill

  5. Re: Status of QP/M 2.7

    In article <1136771934.892800.114870@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups. com> "Don" writes:
    >Hi All,
    >
    >I was wondering what the status is of QP/M 2.7 from MicroCode
    >Consulting? I had a copy of this OS many years ago that ran on my Xerox
    >820-1. I now longer have the manual or master 8" disks, or the Xerox
    >820 for that matter, anymore but still have a set of bootable 5-1/4"
    >disks I made. I was wondering if this OS is in the same classification
    >as CP/M-80. I was thinking of cloning the old 820 and try to get QP/M
    >running again.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Don

    MICROCode Consulting appears to still exist, see www.microcodeconsulting.com.
    Maybe you could ask them directly :-). They don't mention it on the
    web site. The email addresses that they list are:

    General Information: info@microcodeconsulting.com
    Sales: sales@microcodeconsulting.com
    Consulting Services: consulting@microcodeconsulting.com
    Customer Support: support@microcodeconsulting.com
    Webmaster: webmaster@microcodeconsulting.com

    I haven't heard of QP/M in many years...
    --
    Jeff Wieland

  6. Re: Status of QP/M 2.7

    Hello, Donald!

    > My reason for wanting to clone it is to tinker with a bigger hard drive

    and
    > larger partitions. For the last couple of years I have been playing with
    > another 8-bit OS and have had a 4.2Gig hard drive with 128 partitions of
    > 16 Meg each on it and it runs great. So thought I would give CP/M-80 a

    shot.

    May I suggest CP/M Plus?

    The doc is available, the executable too,
    and now the source code...

    The "CP/M Plus System Guide" says that CP/M Plus
    can handle up to 16 Hard-Disks having a maximum
    size of 520 MegaBytes, which gives 8 GigaBytes.

    Not too bad, for an 8-bit system!

    (Regarding "devices", the doc says that
    you can connect up to 16 devices to your
    computer. Personally, I would add an 8GB
    tape back-up, to be able to save the contents
    of all the hard-disks.)

    (If you really are in big files and databases,
    the standard ISAM package for CP/M is
    "Access Manager", and it was packaged
    by Digital Research to be used from the
    "CBASIC Compiler". Needless to say,
    Access Manager and the CBASIC Compiler
    Version 2.0 are now freely available...)

    Yours Sincerely,
    "French Luser"

  7. Re: Status of QP/M 2.7

    On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:20:32 +0100, "French Luser"
    wrote:

    >Hello, Donald!
    >
    >> My reason for wanting to clone it is to tinker with a bigger hard drive

    >and
    >> larger partitions. For the last couple of years I have been playing with
    >> another 8-bit OS and have had a 4.2Gig hard drive with 128 partitions of
    >> 16 Meg each on it and it runs great. So thought I would give CP/M-80 a

    >shot.
    >
    >May I suggest CP/M Plus?
    >
    >The doc is available, the executable too,
    >and now the source code...
    >
    >The "CP/M Plus System Guide" says that CP/M Plus
    >can handle up to 16 Hard-Disks having a maximum
    >size of 520 MegaBytes, which gives 8 GigaBytes.
    >
    >Not too bad, for an 8-bit system!
    >
    >(Regarding "devices", the doc says that
    >you can connect up to 16 devices to your
    >computer. Personally, I would add an 8GB
    >tape back-up, to be able to save the contents
    >of all the hard-disks.)
    >
    >(If you really are in big files and databases,
    >the standard ISAM package for CP/M is
    >"Access Manager", and it was packaged
    >by Digital Research to be used from the
    >"CBASIC Compiler". Needless to say,
    >Access Manager and the CBASIC Compiler
    >Version 2.0 are now freely available...)
    >
    >Yours Sincerely,
    >"French Luser"

    P2dos,suprbdos, Novados, Zrdos

    They are improved compatable varients of CP/M 2.+ .
    Most will address more than CP/M plus (1-2gb/drive).
    They all work with or have as part of the install ZCPR
    (improved user interface commnad interpreter).
    They all add datestamping, directory handling.
    All available as source.

    Allison

+ Reply to Thread