BASIC-E - CP/M

This is a discussion on BASIC-E - CP/M ; On CPMUG disk volumes 29 & 30 you'll find the sources for Gordon Eubanks BASIC-E compiler from 1976, which was modified later by Gary Kildall. There are no instructions about how to build compiler and runtime from the sources and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

  1. BASIC-E

    On CPMUG disk volumes 29 & 30 you'll find the sources for Gordon Eubanks
    BASIC-E compiler from 1976, which was modified later by Gary Kildall.

    There are no instructions about how to build compiler and runtime from the
    sources and the precompiled binaries are for crap. I've created submit
    scripts to rebuild the compiler and runtime from the sources using my
    ISIS tool disks. I also added a bunch of BASIC programs from the CPMUG
    volumes to play with.

    A harddisk image with sources, executables and examples is available at:
    http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/

    Enjoy,
    Udo Munk
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  2. Re: BASIC-E

    "Udo Munk" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.09.21.19.17.31.566711@unix4fun.org...
    > On CPMUG disk volumes 29 & 30 you'll find the sources for Gordon Eubanks
    > BASIC-E compiler from 1976, which was modified later by Gary Kildall.
    >
    > There are no instructions about how to build compiler and runtime from the
    > sources and the precompiled binaries are for crap. I've created submit
    > scripts to rebuild the compiler and runtime from the sources using my
    > ISIS tool disks. I also added a bunch of BASIC programs from the CPMUG
    > volumes to play with.
    >
    > A harddisk image with sources, executables and examples is available at:
    > http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/
    >
    > Enjoy,
    > Udo Munk
    > --
    > The fun is building it and then using it.

    Gordon was brought on by Gary, I believe sometime in late 1979, when Gordon
    was discharged by the Navy and when Gary bought Eubank's "Compiler Systems".
    It is my understanding that Gordon made all subsequent modifications to the
    product then being sold by "Digital Research". Gordon would later found
    Symantec and left sometime around 2002 to found yet another pioneering
    software enterprise. His name continues to pop up in business articles
    dealing with developing software technologies.

    IMSAI was the first company to sell the commercial version of "Basic E", and
    we continued sales through Fischer-Freitas after IMSAI Manufacturing
    Corporation folded. We always dealt through Gordon's mom who handled the
    business end of things back then, as Gordon was stationed in Hawaii. She
    lived in Southern California, just over the border from Northern California
    He once called me on a noisy phone line about shipping the system to me,
    and when I commented on the apparent distance, he said that he was on a
    submarine! I always wondered if he was pulling my leg, and am now inclined
    to assume that to be the case. We kept Gordon's IMSAI 8080 and FDC Floppy
    Disk system up and running on into the early 1980's, so it might be implied
    that at least some of the development was done on that system.

    -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

  3. Re: BASIC-E

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:39:21 -0700, Thomas "Todd" Fischer wrote:

    > to assume that to be the case. We kept Gordon's IMSAI 8080 and FDC
    > Floppy Disk system up and running on into the early 1980's, so it might
    > be implied that at least some of the development was done on that
    > system.
    >
    > -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

    Very interesting.

    When I look at the sources and what it needs to build executables from
    that, I believe it was build with a PL/M-80 cross compiler. At least it
    was build at a time when linkers where non existing and modules where
    patched together with a debugger instead. I left it as it was, that could
    be done different with a development system, but why use some stinkin
    linker when we got ddt ;-)

    Udo Munk
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  4. Re: BASIC-E

    This basic compiles to pseudo-code, not to native code.

    You create your source file (normally .BAS extension) with a text editor
    (ASCII), you compile it with CBAS or CBAS2 (version 2) to a P-Code
    intermediate file (*.INT) extension, then you run the P-Code file with
    CRun or CRun2 (which was actually an interpreter).

    Udo Munk wrote:
    > On CPMUG disk volumes 29 & 30 you'll find the sources for Gordon Eubanks
    > BASIC-E compiler from 1976, which was modified later by Gary Kildall.
    >
    > There are no instructions about how to build compiler and runtime from the
    > sources and the precompiled binaries are for crap. I've created submit
    > scripts to rebuild the compiler and runtime from the sources using my
    > ISIS tool disks. I also added a bunch of BASIC programs from the CPMUG
    > volumes to play with.
    >
    > A harddisk image with sources, executables and examples is available at:
    > http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/
    >
    > Enjoy,
    > Udo Munk

  5. Re: BASIC-E

    Basic-E was the free version, C-Basic (Commercial Basic) was the
    "commercial" version that was a product. The primary difference was
    that C-Basic had BDC decimal arithmetic ... no rounding errors when used
    for dollars and cents financial transactions.

    Thomas "Todd" Fischer wrote:
    > "Udo Munk" wrote in message
    > newsan.2007.09.21.19.17.31.566711@unix4fun.org...
    >> On CPMUG disk volumes 29 & 30 you'll find the sources for Gordon Eubanks
    >> BASIC-E compiler from 1976, which was modified later by Gary Kildall.
    >>
    >> There are no instructions about how to build compiler and runtime from the
    >> sources and the precompiled binaries are for crap. I've created submit
    >> scripts to rebuild the compiler and runtime from the sources using my
    >> ISIS tool disks. I also added a bunch of BASIC programs from the CPMUG
    >> volumes to play with.
    >>
    >> A harddisk image with sources, executables and examples is available at:
    >> http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/
    >>
    >> Enjoy,
    >> Udo Munk
    >> --
    >> The fun is building it and then using it.
    >>

    > Gordon was brought on by Gary, I believe sometime in late 1979, when Gordon
    > was discharged by the Navy and when Gary bought Eubank's "Compiler Systems".
    > It is my understanding that Gordon made all subsequent modifications to the
    > product then being sold by "Digital Research". Gordon would later found
    > Symantec and left sometime around 2002 to found yet another pioneering
    > software enterprise. His name continues to pop up in business articles
    > dealing with developing software technologies.
    >
    > IMSAI was the first company to sell the commercial version of "Basic E", and
    > we continued sales through Fischer-Freitas after IMSAI Manufacturing
    > Corporation folded. We always dealt through Gordon's mom who handled the
    > business end of things back then, as Gordon was stationed in Hawaii. She
    > lived in Southern California, just over the border from Northern California
    > He once called me on a noisy phone line about shipping the system to me,
    > and when I commented on the apparent distance, he said that he was on a
    > submarine! I always wondered if he was pulling my leg, and am now inclined
    > to assume that to be the case. We kept Gordon's IMSAI 8080 and FDC Floppy
    > Disk system up and running on into the early 1980's, so it might be implied
    > that at least some of the development was done on that system.
    >
    > -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

  6. Re: BASIC-E

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 16:01:41 -0400, Barry Watzman wrote:

    > This basic compiles to pseudo-code, not to native code.
    >
    > You create your source file (normally .BAS extension) with a text editor
    > (ASCII), you compile it with CBAS or CBAS2 (version 2) to a P-Code
    > intermediate file (*.INT) extension, then you run the P-Code file with
    > CRun or CRun2 (which was actually an interpreter).

    That's the case with UCSD Pascal, Fortran, Basic as well as with Java.
    The compiler compiles to P code for some sort of P code runtime, which is
    used to run the result. It's not the target system that makes a compiler...

    Udo Munk
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  7. Re: BASIC-E

    Hello Barry-

    My recall is the "C" version stood for "compiler", rather than "commercial".
    I may be wrong since it's been a long time since I played with it, but I
    seem to remember that the edited code had to be processed by a compiler that
    rendered the final code. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

    Regards,

    -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

    "Barry Watzman" wrote in message
    > Basic-E was the free version, C-Basic (Commercial Basic) was the
    > "commercial" version that was a product. The primary difference was that
    > C-Basic had BDC decimal arithmetic ... no rounding errors when used for
    > dollars and cents financial transactions.
    >

    > Thomas "Todd" Fischer wrote:
    >> "Udo Munk" wrote in message
    >> newsan.2007.09.21.19.17.31.566711@unix4fun.org...
    >>> On CPMUG disk volumes 29 & 30 you'll find the sources for Gordon Eubanks
    >>> BASIC-E compiler from 1976, which was modified later by Gary Kildall.
    >>>
    >>> There are no instructions about how to build compiler and runtime from
    >>> the
    >>> sources and the precompiled binaries are for crap. I've created submit
    >>> scripts to rebuild the compiler and runtime from the sources using my
    >>> ISIS tool disks. I also added a bunch of BASIC programs from the CPMUG
    >>> volumes to play with.
    >>>
    >>> A harddisk image with sources, executables and examples is available at:
    >>> http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/
    >>>
    >>> Enjoy,
    >>> Udo Munk
    >>> --
    >>> The fun is building it and then using it.
    >>>

    >> Gordon was brought on by Gary, I believe sometime in late 1979, when
    >> Gordon was discharged by the Navy and when Gary bought Eubank's "Compiler
    >> Systems". It is my understanding that Gordon made all subsequent
    >> modifications to the product then being sold by "Digital Research".
    >> Gordon would later found Symantec and left sometime around 2002 to found
    >> yet another pioneering software enterprise. His name continues to pop up
    >> in business articles dealing with developing software technologies.
    >>
    >> IMSAI was the first company to sell the commercial version of "Basic E",
    >> and we continued sales through Fischer-Freitas after IMSAI Manufacturing
    >> Corporation folded. We always dealt through Gordon's mom who handled the
    >> business end of things back then, as Gordon was stationed in Hawaii. She
    >> lived in Southern California, just over the border from Northern
    >> California He once called me on a noisy phone line about shipping the
    >> system to me, and when I commented on the apparent distance, he said that
    >> he was on a submarine! I always wondered if he was pulling my leg, and
    >> am now inclined to assume that to be the case. We kept Gordon's IMSAI
    >> 8080 and FDC Floppy Disk system up and running on into the early 1980's,
    >> so it might be implied that at least some of the development was done on
    >> that system.
    >>
    >> -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

  8. Re: BASIC-E

    I'm quite certain that what I stated was correct.

    And I still have both Basic-E and C-Basic (1 and 2) right here on this
    PC, and they both have a compiler and a run-time interpreter.

    Thomas "Todd" Fischer wrote:
    > Hello Barry-
    >
    > My recall is the "C" version stood for "compiler", rather than "commercial".
    > I may be wrong since it's been a long time since I played with it, but I
    > seem to remember that the edited code had to be processed by a compiler that
    > rendered the final code. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > -Thomas "Todd" Fischer
    >

    > "Barry Watzman" wrote in message
    >> Basic-E was the free version, C-Basic (Commercial Basic) was the
    >> "commercial" version that was a product. The primary difference was that
    >> C-Basic had BDC decimal arithmetic ... no rounding errors when used for
    >> dollars and cents financial transactions.
    >>

    >> Thomas "Todd" Fischer wrote:
    >>> "Udo Munk" wrote in message
    >>> newsan.2007.09.21.19.17.31.566711@unix4fun.org...

    >>> Gordon was brought on by Gary, I believe sometime in late 1979, when
    >>> Gordon was discharged by the Navy and when Gary bought Eubank's "Compiler
    >>> Systems". It is my understanding that Gordon made all subsequent
    >>> modifications to the product then being sold by "Digital Research".
    >>> Gordon would later found Symantec and left sometime around 2002 to found
    >>> yet another pioneering software enterprise. His name continues to pop up
    >>> in business articles dealing with developing software technologies.
    >>>
    >>> IMSAI was the first company to sell the commercial version of "Basic E",
    >>> and we continued sales through Fischer-Freitas after IMSAI Manufacturing
    >>> Corporation folded. We always dealt through Gordon's mom who handled the
    >>> business end of things back then, as Gordon was stationed in Hawaii. She
    >>> lived in Southern California, just over the border from Northern
    >>> California He once called me on a noisy phone line about shipping the
    >>> system to me, and when I commented on the apparent distance, he said that
    >>> he was on a submarine! I always wondered if he was pulling my leg, and
    >>> am now inclined to assume that to be the case. We kept Gordon's IMSAI
    >>> 8080 and FDC Floppy Disk system up and running on into the early 1980's,
    >>> so it might be implied that at least some of the development was done on
    >>> that system.
    >>>
    >>> -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

  9. Re: BASIC-E

    Thomas \"Todd\" Fischer wrote: /* and top-posted - fixed */
    > "Barry Watzman" wrote:
    >> Thomas "Todd" Fischer wrote:

    >>> Gordon was brought on by Gary, I believe sometime in late 1979,
    >>> when Gordon was discharged by the Navy and when Gary bought
    >>> Eubank's "Compiler Systems". It is my understanding that Gordon
    >>> made all subsequent modifications to the product then being sold
    >>> by "Digital Research". Gordon would later found Symantec and
    >>> left sometime around 2002 to found yet another pioneering
    >>> software enterprise. His name continues to pop up in business
    >>> articles dealing with developing software technologies.
    >>>
    >>> IMSAI was the first company to sell the commercial version of
    >>> "Basic E", and we continued sales through Fischer-Freitas after
    >>> IMSAI Manufacturing Corporation folded. We always dealt through
    >>> Gordon's mom who handled the business end of things back then,
    >>> as Gordon was stationed in Hawaii. She lived in Southern
    >>> California, just over the border from Northern California He
    >>> once called me on a noisy phone line about shipping the system
    >>> to me, and when I commented on the apparent distance, he said
    >>> that he was on a submarine! I always wondered if he was pulling
    >>> my leg, and am now inclined to assume that to be the case. We
    >>> kept Gordon's IMSAI 8080 and FDC Floppy Disk system up and
    >>> running on into the early 1980's, so it might be implied that at
    >>> least some of the development was done on that system.

    >> Basic-E was the free version, C-Basic (Commercial Basic) was the
    >> "commercial" version that was a product. The primary difference
    >> was that C-Basic had BDC decimal arithmetic ... no rounding
    >> errors when used for dollars and cents financial transactions.

    > My recall is the "C" version stood for "compiler", rather than
    > "commercial". I may be wrong since it's been a long time since I
    > played with it, but I seem to remember that the edited code had
    > to be processed by a compiler that rendered the final code.
    > Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

    irrelevant material. See the following links in my sig.:

    I have fixed this post, for general usefulness. Note that Mr
    Watzman seems determined to foul all posts with his non-standard
    top-posting, but fixing is fairly easy if done immediately. I hope
    the next poster snips properly.

    --

    (taming google)
    (newusers)

  10. Re: BASIC-E

    Let me add one thing to my last comment (see the message preceeding this
    one). Thinking about it, my comments were correct, but I also now
    recall that somewhat later (in the 1980's, not the 1970's when both
    Basic-E and C-Basic first came out), DR did in fact release an
    additional, separate product, a native code compiler for C-Basic.

    So maybe we are both right; but I still don't think it was what the "C"
    in C-Basic stood for.

    Thomas "Todd" Fischer wrote:
    > Hello Barry-
    >
    > My recall is the "C" version stood for "compiler", rather than "commercial".
    > I may be wrong since it's been a long time since I played with it, but I
    > seem to remember that the edited code had to be processed by a compiler that
    > rendered the final code. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > -Thomas "Todd" Fischer
    >

    > "Barry Watzman" wrote in message
    >> Basic-E was the free version, C-Basic (Commercial Basic) was the
    >> "commercial" version that was a product. The primary difference was that
    >> C-Basic had BDC decimal arithmetic ... no rounding errors when used for
    >> dollars and cents financial transactions.
    >>

    >> Thomas "Todd" Fischer wrote:
    >>> "Udo Munk" wrote in message
    >>> newsan.2007.09.21.19.17.31.566711@unix4fun.org...

    >>> Gordon was brought on by Gary, I believe sometime in late 1979, when
    >>> Gordon was discharged by the Navy and when Gary bought Eubank's "Compiler
    >>> Systems". It is my understanding that Gordon made all subsequent
    >>> modifications to the product then being sold by "Digital Research".
    >>> Gordon would later found Symantec and left sometime around 2002 to found
    >>> yet another pioneering software enterprise. His name continues to pop up
    >>> in business articles dealing with developing software technologies.
    >>>
    >>> IMSAI was the first company to sell the commercial version of "Basic E",
    >>> and we continued sales through Fischer-Freitas after IMSAI Manufacturing
    >>> Corporation folded. We always dealt through Gordon's mom who handled the
    >>> business end of things back then, as Gordon was stationed in Hawaii. She
    >>> lived in Southern California, just over the border from Northern
    >>> California He once called me on a noisy phone line about shipping the
    >>> system to me, and when I commented on the apparent distance, he said that
    >>> he was on a submarine! I always wondered if he was pulling my leg, and
    >>> am now inclined to assume that to be the case. We kept Gordon's IMSAI
    >>> 8080 and FDC Floppy Disk system up and running on into the early 1980's,
    >>> so it might be implied that at least some of the development was done on
    >>> that system.
    >>>
    >>> -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

  11. Re: BASIC-E

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    > with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    > irrelevant material. See the following links in my sig.:
    >
    > I have fixed this post, for general usefulness. Note that Mr
    > Watzman seems determined to foul all posts with his non-standard
    > top-posting, but fixing is fairly easy if done immediately. I hope
    > the next poster snips properly.

    Plonk!

    (Bottom-posted, you will note)

  12. Re: BASIC-E

    SCREW YOU.

    TOP POSTING ****WILL***** continue. Whether you like it or not.

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    > with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    > irrelevant material. See the following links in my sig.:
    >
    > I have fixed this post, for general usefulness. Note that Mr
    > Watzman seems determined to foul all posts with his non-standard
    > top-posting, but fixing is fairly easy if done immediately. I hope
    > the next poster snips properly.

  13. Re: BASIC-E

    Barry Watzman wrote: ** and top-posted - fixed **
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    >> with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    >> irrelevant material. See the following links in my sig.:
    >>
    >> I have fixed this post, for general usefulness. Note that Mr
    >> Watzman seems determined to foul all posts with his non-standard
    >> top-posting, but fixing is fairly easy if done immediately. I hope
    >> the next poster snips properly.

    > SCREW YOU.
    >
    > TOP POSTING ****WILL***** continue. Whether you like it or not.

    I have assumed that. See the 2nd paragraph above from me. You
    obviously do not care whether you cause problems for other users.

  14. Re: BASIC-E

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Barry Watzman wrote: ** and top-posted - fixed **
    >> CBFalconer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    >>> with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    >>> irrelevant material. See the following links in my sig.:
    >>>
    >>> I have fixed this post, for general usefulness. Note that Mr
    >>> Watzman seems determined to foul all posts with his non-standard
    >>> top-posting, but fixing is fairly easy if done immediately. I hope
    >>> the next poster snips properly.

    >> SCREW YOU.
    >>
    >> TOP POSTING ****WILL***** continue. Whether you like it or not.

    > I have assumed that. See the 2nd paragraph above from me. You
    > obviously do not care whether you cause problems for other users.

    Evidently Mr. Watzman missed his meds today...

  15. Re: BASIC-E

    "Charles Richmond" wrote in message
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >> Barry Watzman wrote: ** and top-posted - fixed **

    >>> SCREW YOU.
    >>>
    >>> TOP POSTING ****WILL***** continue. Whether you like it or not.

    >> I have assumed that. See the 2nd paragraph above from me. You
    >> obviously do not care whether you cause problems for other users.
    >>

    > Evidently Mr. Watzman missed his meds today...
    >
    > --
    > +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    > | Charles and Francis Richmond richmond at plano dot net |
    > +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    Seems like the Falcon did too!

  16. Re: BASIC-E

    On Sep 21, 9:14 pm, CBFalconer wrote:
    > Thomas \"Todd\" Fischer wrote: /* and top-posted - fixed */

    > >> Basic-E was the free version, C-Basic (Commercial Basic) was the
    > >> "commercial" version that was a product. The primary difference
    > >> was that C-Basic had BDC decimal arithmetic ... no rounding
    > >> errors when used for dollars and cents financial transactions.

    > > My recall is the "C" version stood for "compiler", rather than
    > > "commercial". I may be wrong since it's been a long time since I
    > > played with it, but I seem to remember that the edited code had
    > > to be processed by a compiler that rendered the final code.
    > > Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

    > Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    > with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    > irrelevant material. See the following links in my sig.:
    >
    > I have fixed this post, for general usefulness. Note that Mr
    > Watzman seems determined to foul all posts with his non-standard
    > top-posting, but fixing is fairly easy if done immediately. I hope
    > the next poster snips properly.
    >
    > --
    >

    > (taming google)
    > (newusers)
    >
    > --

    CBFalconer, for the good of the group - please take you "Do not top
    post" comments private, send the person an email, or don't post them.
    This is not the first interesting topic you have killed with you
    effort in teaching others how to post a message.

    Bill H

  17. Re: BASIC-E

    Bill H wrote:

    > CBFalconer, for the good of the group - please take you "Do not top
    > post" comments private, send the person an email, or don't post them.
    > This is not the first interesting topic you have killed with you
    > effort in teaching others how to post a message.

    Just add him to your mailer's killfile. Not worth getting upset about.

  18. Re: BASIC-E

    On Sep 23, 10:45 am, Steven Hirsch wrote:
    > Bill H wrote:
    > > CBFalconer, for the good of the group - please take you "Do not top
    > > post" comments private, send the person an email, or don't post them.
    > > This is not the first interesting topic you have killed with you
    > > effort in teaching others how to post a message.

    > Just add him to your mailer's killfile. Not worth getting upset about.

    Unfortunately you can't do that with google groups (eww he said the
    "g" word).

    Bill H

  19. Re: BASIC-E

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 04:27:06 -0700, Bill H wrote:

    >CBFalconer, for the good of the group - please take you "Do not top
    >post" comments private, send the person an email, or don't post them.
    >This is not the first interesting topic you have killed with you
    >effort in teaching others how to post a message.
    >
    >Bill H

    Amen! The cure is worse then the ailment.

  20. Re: BASIC-E

    wrote:

    > He once called me on a noisy phone line about shipping the system to me,
    >and when I commented on the apparent distance, he said that he was on a
    >submarine! I always wondered if he was pulling my leg, and am now inclined
    >to assume that to be the case.

    I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion. Any US Navy vessel
    was capable and eligible to use the commercial ship to shore marine
    radio-telephone circuits. They were short wave, and tended to have
    static with some fade out if the distance was more than a couple
    hundred miles. I set up a few personal calls in my time.

    Bob McConnell
    N2SPP
    Ex-RM2
    NFIT (USS Cochrane DDG21)