Kaypro movcpm.com - CP/M

This is a discussion on Kaypro movcpm.com - CP/M ; Hello Kaypro fans, I'd like to put a Kayplus83 rom into a Kaypro II so I can add double sided drives and have all the other nice stuff that the rom provides. It's the early model with an 81-110B1 motherboard ...

  1. Kaypro movcpm.com

    Hello Kaypro fans,

    I'd like to put a Kayplus83 rom into a Kaypro II so I can add double sided
    drives and have all the other nice stuff that the rom provides. It's the
    early model with an 81-110B1 motherboard that needs the wiring for the
    floppy side 2 added. The Advent Turborom manual has the wiring mods needed
    for side 2 access. The Kaypro II comes with a 2K eprom and the Kayplus83 is
    an 8K. Again the Turborom manual tells how to access a 4K rom and adding
    access to the A12 line should make the 8K rom work. I think that I've got
    that part all worked out. To make the Kayplus boot disk, you have to have a
    system size of 62K or smaller. My Kaypro II disk has a 64K system. When I
    run movcpm.com to change the system size, the program hangs. I also tried
    the version of movcpm that comes with the Kaypro 4 and that hangs also. So
    question (1) is, has anyone gotten this program to work or is there another
    easy way to do this? There's a blurb on the net about the Kaypro 1 movcpm
    not working right but I didn't see anything about the Kaypro II version.
    Question (2) is, should the movcpm program from another Kaypro model work on
    a II or are they all specific to 1 model. TIA.

    Ralph

  2. Re: Kaypro movcpm.com

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 10:09:43 -0400, RED wrote:

    > system size of 62K or smaller. My Kaypro II disk has a 64K system.
    > When I run movcpm.com to change the system size, the program hangs. I
    > also tried the version of movcpm that comes with the Kaypro 4 and that
    > hangs also. So question (1) is, has anyone gotten this program to work
    > or is there another easy way to do this? There's a blurb on the net
    > about the Kaypro 1 movcpm not working right but I didn't see anything
    > about the Kaypro II version. Question (2) is, should the movcpm program
    > from another Kaypro model work on a II or are they all specific to 1
    > model. TIA.

    movcpm checks the CP/M serial numbers and if they don't match the program
    hangs. If you are sure that this movcpm is the correct version for the
    system run under ddt and patch out the jumps to the error routine:

    ddt d:movcpm.com
    DDT VERS 2.2
    NEXT PC
    2700 0100
    -s234
    0234 C2 0
    0235 5A 0
    0236 02 0
    0237 02 .
    -s2cb
    02CB C2 0
    02CC 5A 0
    02CD 02 0
    02CE 23 .
    -i64 *
    -g

    CONSTRUCTING 64k CP/M vers 2.2
    READY FOR "SYSGEN" OR
    "SAVE 34 CPM64.COM"

    Udo Munk
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  3. Re: Kaypro movcpm.com

    Udo Munk wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 10:09:43 -0400, RED wrote:

    >> system size of 62K or smaller. My Kaypro II disk has a 64K system.
    >> When I run movcpm.com to change the system size, the program hangs.
    >> I also tried the version of movcpm that comes with the Kaypro 4 and
    >> that hangs also. So question (1) is, has anyone gotten this
    >> program to work or is there another easy way to do this? There's a
    >> blurb on the net about the Kaypro 1 movcpm not working right but I
    >> didn't see anything about the Kaypro II version. Question (2) is,
    >> should the movcpm program from another Kaypro model work on a II or
    >> are they all specific to 1 model. TIA.

    > movcpm checks the CP/M serial numbers and if they don't match the
    > program hangs. If you are sure that this movcpm is the correct
    > version for the system run under ddt and patch out the jumps to the
    > error routine:

    Look at the source code for DOSPLUS (dosplsor source, dospls25
    binary zips) for a complete dosmover system (not to mention a
    DOS). See:

  4. Re: Kaypro movcpm.com

    "RED" wrote:

    >Hello Kaypro fans,
    >
    >I'd like to put a Kayplus83 rom into a Kaypro II so I can add double sided
    >drives and have all the other nice stuff that the rom provides. It's the
    >early model with an 81-110B1 motherboard that needs the wiring for the
    >floppy side 2 added. The Advent Turborom manual has the wiring mods needed
    >for side 2 access. The Kaypro II comes with a 2K eprom and the Kayplus83 is
    >an 8K. Again the Turborom manual tells how to access a 4K rom and adding
    >access to the A12 line should make the 8K rom work. I think that I've got
    >that part all worked out. To make the Kayplus boot disk, you have to have a
    >system size of 62K or smaller. My Kaypro II disk has a 64K system. When I
    >run movcpm.com to change the system size, the program hangs. I also tried
    >the version of movcpm that comes with the Kaypro 4 and that hangs also. So
    >question (1) is, has anyone gotten this program to work or is there another
    >easy way to do this? There's a blurb on the net about the Kaypro 1 movcpm
    >not working right but I didn't see anything about the Kaypro II version.
    >Question (2) is, should the movcpm program from another Kaypro model work on
    >a II or are they all specific to 1 model. TIA.

    Iirc, Kaypro's MOVCPM.COM
    was broken -- the CCP and
    BDOS segments get properly
    relocated, but the BIOS
    remains unaltered and the
    resulting system image
    isn't bootable. Please
    don't take this as gospel,
    but that's how I remember
    it.

  5. Re: Kaypro movcpm.com

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:30:16 -0500, Bruce Morgen wrote:

    > Iirc, Kaypro's MOVCPM.COM
    > was broken -- the CCP and
    > BDOS segments get properly
    > relocated, but the BIOS
    > remains unaltered and the
    > resulting system image
    > isn't bootable. Please
    > don't take this as gospel,
    > but that's how I remember
    > it.

    That won't be a problem because after the sysgen'd image was saved to a
    file one could overload the BIOS with ddt, what one needs to do for a
    modified BIOS anyway.
    Nowadays it's possible to rebuild a working movcpm for any system given
    that the sources for the boot loader and the BIOS are available.
    Examples are at http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/, recompiling CP/M 2 from
    the sources is what you want.

    Udo Munk
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  6. Re: Kaypro movcpm.com

    "Udo Munk" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.09.16.10.47.00.151263@unix4fun.org...
    > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 10:09:43 -0400, RED wrote:

    >> system size of 62K or smaller. My Kaypro II disk has a 64K system.
    >> When I run movcpm.com to change the system size, the program hangs. I
    >> also tried the version of movcpm that comes with the Kaypro 4 and that
    >> hangs also. So question (1) is, has anyone gotten this program to work
    >> or is there another easy way to do this? There's a blurb on the net
    >> about the Kaypro 1 movcpm not working right but I didn't see anything
    >> about the Kaypro II version. Question (2) is, should the movcpm program
    >> from another Kaypro model work on a II or are they all specific to 1
    >> model. TIA.

    > movcpm checks the CP/M serial numbers and if they don't match the program
    > hangs. If you are sure that this movcpm is the correct version for the
    > system run under ddt and patch out the jumps to the error routine:
    >
    > ddt d:movcpm.com
    > DDT VERS 2.2
    > NEXT PC
    > 2700 0100
    > -s234
    > 0234 C2 0
    > 0235 5A 0
    > 0236 02 0
    > 0237 02 .
    > -s2cb
    > 02CB C2 0
    > 02CC 5A 0
    > 02CD 02 0
    > 02CE 23 .
    > -i64 *
    > -g
    >
    > CONSTRUCTING 64k CP/M vers 2.2
    > READY FOR "SYSGEN" OR
    > "SAVE 34 CPM64.COM"
    >

    > Udo Munk
    > --
    > The fun is building it and then using it.

    I tried using ddt as you said and movcpm still hung. I had been using a
    boot disk from an image set for the Kaypro II that I downloaded. I had
    gotten a few disks when I bought the Kaypro II but couldn't find them for
    years. I spent about 45 minutes looking through bags & boxes and finally
    found a copy of the original SBasic boot disk that came with my machine. It
    had movcpm and it works properly. I was able to sysgen a 60K system and now
    the KayPlus configuration program works. Thanks for the help.

    Ralph

+ Reply to Thread