Perhaps the truest version of CP/M vs. Microsoft PCDOS debate - CP/M

This is a discussion on Perhaps the truest version of CP/M vs. Microsoft PCDOS debate - CP/M ; Having known, worked with, and done business with both Gary Kildall and Gordon Eubanks, I was drawn to the following from Herb Johnson's web site: "Udo Munk posted in comp.os.cpm in Sept 2007, two references to Gordon Eubanks interviews. One ...

  1. Perhaps the truest version of CP/M vs. Microsoft PCDOS debate

    Having known, worked with, and done business with both Gary Kildall and
    Gordon Eubanks, I was drawn to the following from Herb Johnson's web site:
    "Udo Munk posted in comp.os.cpm in Sept 2007, two references to Gordon
    Eubanks interviews. One is at this link. It's a ComputerWorld oral history
    project where he was interviewed in 2000 about his life and history. He
    discusses his early work on BASIC-E and CBASIC, with Kildall and for IMSAI,
    at length."

    That link (at this link) is probably the purest and most accurate depiction
    of the events that preceded and eventually transpired into the evolution
    from CP/M being the pre-eminent operating system for "microcomputers", to
    the dominance of Microsoft's PCDOS.

    My own recollection of system comparisons comes from early 1982 when I
    received an early version of Microsoft's DOS along with a letter from one of
    Bill Gates' associates elaborating on possibility of further licensing
    rights. I ran the preliminary O/S on one of our prototype 8/16 bit systems
    (the "Falcon"), and my first impressions were that: a) the convention of
    "destination/source" used in CP/M had been reversed in DOS; b) the "feel"
    and conventions of directory commands was far more UNIX than CP/M, and was
    somewhat foreign to me as I had not much time on a UNIX platform, having
    been weaned on CP/M from my first days in working with micros. There were a
    few other quirks that I noticed as I played with this "new" platform, and my
    personal biases kept me more inclined to stay with the Digital Research
    platforms at the time.

    But I have to fully agree with the oral history provided by Gordon in the
    above-mentioned links; Gary was not a business man... he liked his toys and
    "play time". His wife, Dorothy, and I got along great and I still have some
    CP/M and MP/M mementos that she thoughtfully brought over to me when we both
    were exhibiting at the San Francisco West Coast Computer Festival in Brooks
    Hall, 1982. I confess to have been a bit smitten with Dorothy at the time,
    but that's a subject to be discussed over a beer and a 'burger later some
    evening!

  2. Re: Perhaps the truest version of CP/M vs. Microsoft PCDOS debate

    "Thomas "Todd" Fischer" wrote in message
    > Having known, worked with, and done business with both Gary Kildall and
    > Gordon Eubanks,

    (snip)
    > That link (at this link)

    (snip)

    Sorry... the links didn't come across as planned! Try this:
    http://www.cwheroes.org/archives/histories/Eubanks.pdf

  3. Re: Perhaps the truest version of CP/M vs. Microsoft PCDOS debate

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:47:14 -0700, Thomas \"Todd\" Fischer wrote:

    > Having known, worked with, and done business with both Gary Kildall and
    > Gordon Eubanks, I was drawn to the following from Herb Johnson's web site:
    > - - - 8< - - - -

    Are you the real Thomas Todd Fischer?

  4. Re: Perhaps the truest version of CP/M vs. Microsoft PCDOS debate

    "alessiop" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:47:14 -0700, Thomas \"Todd\" Fischer wrote:
    >
    >> Having known, worked with, and done business with both Gary Kildall and
    >> Gordon Eubanks, I was drawn to the following from Herb Johnson's web
    >> site:

    > Are you the real Thomas Todd Fischer?

    I'm a paid stunt double but, more importantly, are you the REAL alessiop?

+ Reply to Thread