fun with catweasel - CP/M

This is a discussion on fun with catweasel - CP/M ; Can any of you Catweasel users tell me if one can use multiple Catweasel cards in a single machine? The idea is to have a machine set up with a 3.5" drive, two 5.25" drives (to avoid the 1.2M narrow ...

  1. fun with catweasel

    Can any of you Catweasel users tell me if one can use multiple Catweasel
    cards in a single machine? The idea is to have a machine set up with a
    3.5" drive, two 5.25" drives (to avoid the 1.2M narrow track problem),
    and an 8" drive. This setup would be used primarily to create disks for
    anyone who asks for them -- following the example of Don Maslin.

    --
    David Griffith

  2. Re: fun with catweasel

    On Sep 15, 4:01 am, dgri...@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave Griffith) wrote:
    > Can any of you Catweasel users tell me if one can use multiple Catweasel
    > cards in a single machine? The idea is to have a machine set up with a
    > 3.5" drive, two 5.25" drives (to avoid the 1.2M narrow track problem),
    > and an 8" drive. This setup would be used primarily to create disks for

    Yes.

    Certainly the Tim Mann cw2dmk software supports multiple Catweasels.
    You can select which one you want to use with command line switches.

    Each Catweasel supports multiple drives as well. I know at least two
    drives per card using standard FDC cables. Possibly more with special
    cabling but I do not know for sure.

    > anyone who asks for them -- following the example of Don Maslin.
    >
    > --
    > David Griffith
    > dgri...@cs.csbuak.edu <-- Switch the 'b' and 'u'

    Speaking of Don Maslin, has anyone ever politely asked his heirs what
    became of his archive?

    It is truly a tragic event if it was lost when he passed away. He
    spent so much time building it I am confident he would not have wanted
    it to be lost.

    I did not know him personally but if you read these groups at all you
    cannot miss coming across his old posts. I believe a great many of
    the vintage computer community did know him.

    Thanks!

    Andrew Lynch

  3. Re: fun with catweasel

    lynchaj@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Sep 15, 4:01 am, dgri...@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave Griffith) wrote:
    >> Can any of you Catweasel users tell me if one can use multiple Catweasel
    >> cards in a single machine? The idea is to have a machine set up with a
    >> 3.5" drive, two 5.25" drives (to avoid the 1.2M narrow track problem),
    >> and an 8" drive. This setup would be used primarily to create disks for

    > Yes.

    > Certainly the Tim Mann cw2dmk software supports multiple Catweasels.
    > You can select which one you want to use with command line switches.

    > Each Catweasel supports multiple drives as well. I know at least two
    > drives per card using standard FDC cables. Possibly more with special
    > cabling but I do not know for sure.

    The mk4 appears to have two headers for floppy drives. This would imply
    four drives if you use standard two-drive cables.

    > Speaking of Don Maslin, has anyone ever politely asked his heirs what
    > became of his archive?

    Several people have tried, without success. It seems that the archive
    is lost.

    --
    David Griffith

  4. Re: fun with catweasel

    On Sep 16, 1:16 pm, dgri...@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave Griffith) wrote:
    > lync...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > On Sep 15, 4:01 am, dgri...@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave Griffith) wrote:
    > >> Can any of you Catweasel users tell me if one can use multiple Catweasel
    > >> cards in a single machine? The idea is to have a machine set up with a
    > >> 3.5" drive, two 5.25" drives (to avoid the 1.2M narrow track problem),
    > >> and an 8" drive. This setup would be used primarily to create disks for

    > > Yes.
    > > Certainly the Tim Mann cw2dmk software supports multiple Catweasels.
    > > You can select which one you want to use with command line switches.
    > > Each Catweasel supports multiple drives as well. I know at least two
    > > drives per card using standard FDC cables. Possibly more with special
    > > cabling but I do not know for sure.

    > The mk4 appears to have two headers for floppy drives. This would imply
    > four drives if you use standard two-drive cables.
    >
    > > Speaking of Don Maslin, has anyone ever politely asked his heirs what
    > > became of his archive?

    > Several people have tried, without success. It seems that the archive
    > is lost.
    >
    > --
    > David Griffith
    > dgri...@cs.csbuak.edu <-- Switch the 'b' and 'u'

    David,
    The MkIV has two 34 pin IDC connectors but they are meant to go inline
    with the existing FDC. I think it is limited to the normal two floppy
    drives per FDC unless there is some special cabling involved. I have
    heard people attaching more than two floppy drives per FDC but the IBM
    PC standard makes this difficult. I do not know if it would work on a
    Catweasel or not. Certainly two drives per Catweasel would work.

    Thanks!

    Andrew Lynch

  5. Re: fun with catweasel

    dgriffi@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave Griffith) wrote in news:lxdHi.9590$924.2166
    @newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

    > Several people have tried, without success. It seems that the archive
    > is lost.

    Reports were that his widow assumed an extremely hardnosed approach, and
    told someone who offered to pick the archive up that she would rather see
    it in the landfill.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

  6. Re: fun with catweasel

    On Sep 16, 5:32 pm, elaich <|@|.|> wrote:
    > dgri...@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave Griffith) wrote in news:lxdHi.9590$924.2166
    > @newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:
    >
    > > Several people have tried, without success. It seems that the archive
    > > is lost.

    > Reports were that his widow assumed an extremely hardnosed approach, and
    > told someone who offered to pick the archive up that she would rather see
    > it in the landfill.
    >
    > --
    > A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    > Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    Wow. Now that is truly a tragedy.

    I feel sorry for how that family must have suffered over the years.

    Count your blessings.

    Andrew Lynch

  7. Re: fun with catweasel

    lynchaj@yahoo.com wrote:

    (snip)

    > The MkIV has two 34 pin IDC connectors but they are meant to go inline
    > with the existing FDC. I think it is limited to the normal two floppy
    > drives per FDC unless there is some special cabling involved. I have
    > heard people attaching more than two floppy drives per FDC but the IBM
    > PC standard makes this difficult. I do not know if it would work on a
    > Catweasel or not. Certainly two drives per Catweasel would work.

    The floppy cable standard supports four select lines.

    The IBM PC power supply couldn't run two floppy motors at
    once so they redid the cable as two select and two motor on lines.

    When copying between drives, it works much better to have
    both motors on at once.

    -- glen

+ Reply to Thread