Cromemco CDOS/Cromix vs. CP/M compatibility - CP/M

This is a discussion on Cromemco CDOS/Cromix vs. CP/M compatibility - CP/M ; It's been asked before but I haven't seen any definitive answers to this question: Is there an overview anywhere of the compatibility issues between Cromemco CDOS and the Cromix sim.bin emulators and true CP/M in its various versions, i.e. unimplemented ...

  1. Cromemco CDOS/Cromix vs. CP/M compatibility

    It's been asked before but I haven't seen any definitive
    answers to this question:

    Is there an overview anywhere of the compatibility
    issues between Cromemco CDOS and the Cromix sim.bin
    emulators and true CP/M in its various versions, i.e.
    unimplemented calls, (in)compatible software,
    different/latest versions, third-party replacements,
    etc.?

    I know several people including Barry have patched CP/M
    to run on Cromemco hardware, but has anyone ever looked
    at running a CP/M emulator within Cromix or Cromix+
    (or have a copy of some of the third-party products
    available back then)?

    mike

  2. Re: Cromemco CDOS/Cromix vs. CP/M compatibility

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:18:03 -0700, MikeS wrote:

    >It's been asked before but I haven't seen any definitive
    >answers to this question:
    >
    >Is there an overview anywhere of the compatibility
    >issues between Cromemco CDOS and the Cromix sim.bin
    >emulators and true CP/M in its various versions, i.e.
    >unimplemented calls, (in)compatible software,
    >different/latest versions, third-party replacements,
    >etc.?
    >
    >I know several people including Barry have patched CP/M
    >to run on Cromemco hardware, but has anyone ever looked
    >at running a CP/M emulator within Cromix or Cromix+
    >(or have a copy of some of the third-party products
    >available back then)?

    I don't know cromix but,

    It's possible to do an interface between CP/M apps that will
    permit operation if the following is valid.

    - CP/M uses the first 5 locations for vectors to the OS.

    -The default FCB is at 0005Ch and default buffer at 80h.

    -All standard CP/M apps load at 100H even if they dont run
    there as it's the default load point.

    - CP/M application calls are very standardized and there are no
    hidden or unimplemented calls. There are a few embedded
    locations that are used but they are known.

    -Enough free memory between 100H and whereever
    to support the app as needed.

    Those environment items must exist for most applications to run
    properly. Some applications make direct bios calls and those are
    going to requrie BIOS emulation as well.

    The problem is providing those conditions could conflict with
    the host OS. I do know that this has been unde under Uzi Unix
    so it's clearly doable. Where it was already done for the cromix
    case is up to a cromix user to answer.

    Allison

+ Reply to Thread