figFORTH for 8080 - CP/M

This is a discussion on figFORTH for 8080 - CP/M ; Sometime in 1980 I bought the 8080 figFORTH assembler listing and installation manual and typed like 80 pages source code into my CP/M system, to bring up FORTH on it. Almost 30 years later I did the same, well almost, ...

  1. figFORTH for 8080

    Sometime in 1980 I bought the 8080 figFORTH assembler listing and
    installation manual and typed like 80 pages source code into my
    CP/M system, to bring up FORTH on it.

    Almost 30 years later I did the same, well almost, to bring up
    this ancient figFORTH on my CP/M emulation. By accident I stumbled
    over a scanned PDF with 8080 assembler listing release 1.1, which
    got me interested. Fortunately I found the matching source file too,
    so that I didn't need to type in the whole thing again from scratch ;-)
    I also found a newer source, release 1.3 for the 8080. The sources
    were almost intact and it wasn't too much work to get them assembled
    and working. This ancient FORTH doesn't use files, it uses a disk
    as raw block device for the source screens and virtual memory.
    So again I modified the sources so that FORTH won't access drive A:
    and destroy the CP/M filesystem. Only drive B: is used as block device.

    After that was working I typed in a minimalistic editor at the console
    and used that to put another minimalistic editor on the block device.

    With that editor I typed in the figFORTH editor from the installation
    manual and used that to type in an 8080 assembler written in FORTH.

    Nice bootstrap work, but that was how it was done by then.

    I've made ready to run 8" SD disk images with all sources for cpmsim
    available at: http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/
    Also the PDF with the assembler source listing and the fig installation
    manual for release 1.1 are available for download. So far I wasn't
    able to find the 1.3 documentation, so there is the source only, sorry.

    Yes I'm aware that more modern FORTH systems are available, but I
    wanted this ancient peace of software I once used in the last century.

    Enjoy,
    Udo Munk
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

  2. Re: figFORTH for 8080

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 15:27:42 +0200, Udo Munk wrote:

    >Sometime in 1980 I bought the 8080 figFORTH assembler listing and
    >installation manual and typed like 80 pages source code into my
    >CP/M system, to bring up FORTH on it.

    ..
    ..
    ..
    >Yes I'm aware that more modern FORTH systems are available, but I
    >wanted this ancient peace of software I once used in the last century.

    Good for you. I recently got Fig FORTH running on my PDP-11 for the same
    sort of reason.

    >The fun is building it and then using it.

    Very true...

    --
    Cheers,
    Stan Barr stanb .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

    The future was never like this!

  3. Re: figFORTH for 8080

    In stanb45@dial.pipex.com (Stan Barr) writes:

    > [...]
    > I recently got Fig FORTH running on my PDP-11 for the same
    > sort of reason.

    The PDP-11's instruction set is ideal for indirectly threaded code.

    Just undug my Z280 fig-FORTH sources. Despite more addressing modes
    compared to the Z80, the inner interpreter is still a mess, speaking
    from a PDP-11 or MC68000 point of view:

    next:
    ld h,b ;/ w <-- (ip)
    ld l,c ;/
    ;ldw hl,(hl) ;/ (hl) --> cfa
    DEFB 0EDh,26h
    inc bc
    inc bc ;/ ip += 2
    next1:
    ;ldw de,(hl) ;/ pc <-- (w)
    DEFB 0EDh,16h
    ex de,hl
    inc de
    jp (hl) ; note: de <-- cfa + 1

    Anyway, thanks for juggling my memories.

    Eddi
    --
    e-mail: dk3uz AT darc DOT de | AMPRNET: dk3uz@db0hht.ampr.org
    If replying to a Usenet article, please use above e-mail address.

  4. Re: figFORTH for 8080

    Edmund H. Ramm wrote:
    > In stanb45@dial.pipex.com (Stan Barr) writes:
    >
    >> [...]
    >> I recently got Fig FORTH running on my PDP-11 for the same
    >> sort of reason.

    > The PDP-11's instruction set is ideal for indirectly threaded code.
    >
    > Just undug my Z280 fig-FORTH sources. Despite more addressing modes
    > compared to the Z80, the inner interpreter is still a mess, speaking
    > from a PDP-11 or MC68000 point of view:
    >
    > next:
    > ld h,b ;/ w <-- (ip)
    > ld l,c ;/
    > ;ldw hl,(hl) ;/ (hl) --> cfa
    > DEFB 0EDh,26h
    > inc bc
    > inc bc ;/ ip += 2
    > next1:
    > ;ldw de,(hl) ;/ pc <-- (w)
    > DEFB 0EDh,16h
    > ex de,hl
    > inc de
    > jp (hl) ; note: de <-- cfa + 1
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for juggling my memories.

    So is the MC6809 ideal for FORTH threaded code. The 6809
    even has *two* hardware stack pointers!!!

  5. Re: figFORTH for 8080

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:20:40 -0500, Stan Barr wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 15:27:42 +0200, Udo Munk wrote:

    ..
    ..
    >>Yes I'm aware that more modern FORTH systems are available, but I
    >>wanted this ancient peace of software I once used in the last century.

    > Good for you. I recently got Fig FORTH running on my PDP-11 for the same
    > sort of reason.

    No 11's around anymore :-( Fortunately there is the 11 emaluation
    included in SIMH and I can use that to run RSX11/M and ancient UNIX'S.

    Udo Munk
    --
    The fun is building it and then using it.

+ Reply to Thread