Advent RAMdisk clone - CP/M

This is a discussion on Advent RAMdisk clone - CP/M ; Well after a little research I am now in the initial phase of designing a RAMdisk board that will be compatable with the TurboROM. I am going to use static RAM chips and hope to be able to make some ...

  1. Advent RAMdisk clone

    Well after a little research I am now in the initial phase of designing
    a RAMdisk board that will be compatable with the TurboROM. I am going
    to use static RAM chips and hope to be able to make some or all of it
    battery backed. Should even be able to cold boot off of it. Now you all
    know why I use the nick name of "micronut". I LOVE to tinker.

    Don

  2. Re: Advent RAMdisk clone

    On 13 Feb 2006 14:52:07 -0800, "Don" wrote:

    >Well after a little research I am now in the initial phase of designing
    >a RAMdisk board that will be compatable with the TurboROM. I am going
    >to use static RAM chips and hope to be able to make some or all of it
    >battery backed. Should even be able to cold boot off of it. Now you all
    >know why I use the nick name of "micronut". I LOVE to tinker.
    >
    >Don

    Care to share your resources?

    The original Advent design would suck down batteries fast
    due to the use of Dram controller and a lot of Dram chips.

    If you use cmos static ram you will not only save power but battery
    backup using Dallas ram controllers will make the battery backup
    easier. Static rams to 512k bytes are available.

    Allison

  3. Re: Advent RAMdisk clone

    You read my mind Allison,

    I've go enough 128K by 8 RAMs to test the design but 512K by 8 should
    work also. I found a file on the Walnut Creek CD ROM that has a
    detailed theory of operation of the TurboROM. That and my trusty little
    dis-assembler gave me enough information. Turns out that all the code
    necessary to talk to the RAM drive in already in the ROM.

    Don

  4. Re: Advent RAMdisk clone

    On 13 Feb 2006 16:55:54 -0800, "Don" wrote:

    >You read my mind Allison,
    >
    >I've go enough 128K by 8 RAMs to test the design but 512K by 8 should
    >work also. I found a file on the Walnut Creek CD ROM that has a
    >detailed theory of operation of the TurboROM. That and my trusty little
    >dis-assembler gave me enough information. Turns out that all the code
    >necessary to talk to the RAM drive in already in the ROM.
    >
    >Don

    Ok, I'll get out the WCCD and get the Turbo source out. I know it was
    in the turborom but sources...

    Allison

+ Reply to Thread