Copy floppy using Windows box - CP/M

This is a discussion on Copy floppy using Windows box - CP/M ; This is not strictly a CP/M question, but someone here might know enough to help! I need to produce a straight copy of a floppy that is formatted as follows: 3.5inch DSDD 256 bytes per sector 16 sectors per track ...

  1. Copy floppy using Windows box

    This is not strictly a CP/M question, but someone here might know enough to
    help!

    I need to produce a straight copy of a floppy that is formatted as follows:

    3.5inch DSDD
    256 bytes per sector
    16 sectors per track
    80 tracks
    double sided.

    So it's a 640kB 3.5 inch diskette.

    Anyone know a Windows program that can create a straight copy of such a
    disk?

    Thanks,
    Paul DS.

  2. Re: Copy floppy using Windows box

    Paul D.Smith wrote:
    : I need to produce a straight copy of a floppy that is formatted as follows:

    : 3.5inch DSDD
    : 256 bytes per sector
    : 16 sectors per track
    : 80 tracks
    : double sided.

    : So it's a 640kB 3.5 inch diskette.

    : Anyone know a Windows program that can create a straight copy of such a
    : disk?

    Possibly. If you've got Windows 2000/XP/Vista, then install Simon Owen's
    floppy driver and then you can use
    libdsk to image the disc to
    a file, and write the file back out to another disc. The 'trdos640' format
    added in version 1.1.14 looks like a match for the format you want.

    It might be simpler, though, to boot DOS from a floppy and use Teledisk.

    --
    John Elliott

  3. Re: Copy floppy using Windows box

    I would make the obvious reply that several imaging / copying programs
    exists for non copy protected diskette duplication.

    One I am particuarly fond of is EMTCOPY http://dvalot.free.fr/emtcopy.htm

    This program (to my knowledge) was developed inside IBM and it
    (EMTCOPY) and its parallel (EPLCOPY) were used to generate
    diskettes for various IBM purposes

    Then when OS/2 came along I think this program broke out
    (legitimately) into the non IBM intranet world and now EMTCOPY
    exists as a Windows Executable at the above link.

    One nice thing about this genre of program is that it allows you to
    create images of diskettes and in a text box stored with the image
    are arbitary notes that you can use to store extra information like
    licensing etc. These images can then be safely stored on your
    hard disk for suitable rebuilding later.

    Regards marcus b.

+ Reply to Thread