Looking for source code... - CP/M

This is a discussion on Looking for source code... - CP/M ; I'm looking for any possible source code for CP/M applications, especially of the text editor/word processor) variety. I'm involved with a Z80 OS project known as SymbOS ( http://www.symbos.de ) While we have a stable kernel (including excellent memory management, ...

  1. Looking for source code...

    I'm looking for any possible source code for CP/M applications,
    especially of the text editor/word processor) variety. I'm involved
    with a Z80 OS project known as SymbOS (http://www.symbos.de) While we
    have a stable kernel (including excellent memory management, efficient
    task scheduling and a true microkernel design) and a fully useful GUI,
    we're severely lacking in applications (other than some "fun" stuff
    like a music player, image viewer, a silent video player, PacMan,
    Minesweeper and in the latest beta, a hypertext document viewer)

    Thus our project is out trolling for apps to port to the CLI
    environment. Any suggestion for apps, pointers to source code (and if
    you're REALLY nice, finished ports...) would be most welcome.

    Mike

  2. Re: Looking for source code...

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:13:05 -0000, madcrow
    wrote:

    >I'm looking for any possible source code for CP/M applications,
    >especially of the text editor/word processor) variety. I'm involved
    >with a Z80 OS project known as SymbOS (http://www.symbos.de) While we
    >have a stable kernel (including excellent memory management, efficient
    >task scheduling and a true microkernel design) and a fully useful GUI,
    >we're severely lacking in applications (other than some "fun" stuff
    >like a music player, image viewer, a silent video player, PacMan,
    >Minesweeper and in the latest beta, a hypertext document viewer)
    >
    >Thus our project is out trolling for apps to port to the CLI
    >environment. Any suggestion for apps, pointers to source code (and if
    >you're REALLY nice, finished ports...) would be most welcome.
    >
    >Mike

    Interesting but it only is ported to Amstrad CPC, MSX2, MSX2+ and MSX
    TurboR systems and most of the Z80 systems or there are left in the
    dark. What's missing is enough info to port to any of the other Z80
    boxen out there.

    However if you parse the various CP/M sites and archives you will
    find applications to fill your dreams.

    I'd suggest a CP/M API interface to allow porting some useful stuff
    like Spreadsheets, databases and other tools. otherwise you have to
    read the code and alter it as needed as much of it is not in a higher
    language such as C.

    Have fun.

    Allison

  3. Re: Looking for source code...

    On Aug 14, 7:29 pm, no.s...@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:13:05 -0000, madcrow
    >
    > wrote:
    > >I'm looking for any possible source code for CP/M applications,
    > >especially of the text editor/word processor) variety. I'm involved
    > >with a Z80 OS project known as SymbOS (http://www.symbos.de) While we
    > >have a stable kernel (including excellent memory management, efficient
    > >task scheduling and a true microkernel design) and a fully useful GUI,
    > >we're severely lacking in applications (other than some "fun" stuff
    > >like a music player, image viewer, a silent video player, PacMan,
    > >Minesweeper and in the latest beta, a hypertext document viewer)

    > >Thus our project is out trolling for apps to port to the CLI
    > >environment. Any suggestion for apps, pointers to source code (and if
    > >you're REALLY nice, finished ports...) would be most welcome.

    > >Mike

    > Interesting but it only is ported to Amstrad CPC, MSX2, MSX2+ and MSX
    > TurboR systems and most of the Z80 systems or there are left in the
    > dark. What's missing is enough info to port to any of the other Z80
    > boxen out there.
    >
    > However if you parse the various CP/M sites and archives you will
    > find applications to fill your dreams.
    >
    > I'd suggest a CP/M API interface to allow porting some useful stuff
    > like Spreadsheets, databases and other tools. otherwise you have to
    > read the code and alter it as needed as much of it is not in a higher
    > language such as C.
    >
    > Have fun.
    >
    > Allison

    A port to the Amstrad PCW is already 90% complete and after that more
    are on the way. The system can run on just about any Z80-based system
    with a bitmapped display and decent RAM banking/paging hardware.

    As for available archives, there seems to be very little source code
    available. "Public domain" meant "binary freeware" rather than "Open
    source with even less restriction than BSD" and thus even "public
    domain" apps like VDE (which we'd really like to get up and running)
    have no source code that I can find.

    Mike

  4. Re: Looking for source code...

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:17:33 -0000, madcrow
    wrote:

    >On Aug 14, 7:29 pm, no.s...@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:13:05 -0000, madcrow
    >>
    >> wrote:
    >> >I'm looking for any possible source code for CP/M applications,
    >> >especially of the text editor/word processor) variety. I'm involved
    >> >with a Z80 OS project known as SymbOS (http://www.symbos.de) While we
    >> >have a stable kernel (including excellent memory management, efficient
    >> >task scheduling and a true microkernel design) and a fully useful GUI,
    >> >we're severely lacking in applications (other than some "fun" stuff
    >> >like a music player, image viewer, a silent video player, PacMan,
    >> >Minesweeper and in the latest beta, a hypertext document viewer)

    >> >Thus our project is out trolling for apps to port to the CLI
    >> >environment. Any suggestion for apps, pointers to source code (and if
    >> >you're REALLY nice, finished ports...) would be most welcome.

    >> >Mike

    >> Interesting but it only is ported to Amstrad CPC, MSX2, MSX2+ and MSX
    >> TurboR systems and most of the Z80 systems or there are left in the
    >> dark. What's missing is enough info to port to any of the other Z80
    >> boxen out there.
    >>
    >> However if you parse the various CP/M sites and archives you will
    >> find applications to fill your dreams.
    >>
    >> I'd suggest a CP/M API interface to allow porting some useful stuff
    >> like Spreadsheets, databases and other tools. otherwise you have to
    >> read the code and alter it as needed as much of it is not in a higher
    >> language such as C.
    >>
    >> Have fun.
    >>
    >> Allison

    >A port to the Amstrad PCW is already 90% complete and after that more
    >are on the way. The system can run on just about any Z80-based system
    >with a bitmapped display and decent RAM banking/paging hardware.

    That far from informative as there were many differnt styles of
    bitmapped display and more than a few banking/paging schemes..
    The kid of Z80 systems I'm refering to are S100 crates not the more
    closed hardware of MSX or Amstrand neither of wich I've ever been
    lucky to find. One cadidate is one of my Visual 1050s with hard
    disks as they have 128k of ram and a 6502 with it's own 48k for
    320x200 mono graphics.

    However since the distributions are mostly binaries I'll stay with
    CP/M+ as I have source for that.

    >As for available archives, there seems to be very little source code
    >available. "Public domain" meant "binary freeware" rather than "Open
    >source with even less restriction than BSD" and thus even "public
    >domain" apps like VDE (which we'd really like to get up and running)
    >have no source code that I can find.

    Look deeper, many of those were available as source. Usually you
    had to parse the MLUG or other usergroup archives to find them as
    often that was the origin and only the binaries were more widespread
    save for the few that made a point of "must distribute full kit".
    Also most of those were in archive format (ark, arc, and a dozen
    others) so they don't stand out.

    I do remember VDE as source and there were more than a few editors
    published as source in BYTE [check the September 1982]. Most all
    of the editors for CP/M were character oriented so a GUI based system
    will not be exploited. It's easier to get the first level (basic
    introduction) tools by having a API that translates the CP/M apps
    requests to whatever. The ease of that is the API (BDOS calls) are
    well documented and even the BDOS code is available to look at.

    Allison

    >Mike

  5. Re: Looking for source code...

    madcrow wrote:
    [...]
    > A port to the Amstrad PCW is already 90% complete and after that more
    > are on the way. The system can run on just about any Z80-based system
    > with a bitmapped display and decent RAM banking/paging hardware.

    Do you have any technical information that's not in German? I've got a rather
    nice little Z80 laptop with oodles of RAM and a 480x128 bitmap screen, that it
    might be rather nice to run this on; hardware-wise, it's also got a 765-based
    720kB FDD and a 16kB-granularity MMU. Do you support these? What languageis
    it all written in?

    --
    ┌── dg*cowlark.com ─── http://www.cowlark.com ──────────────── ──

    │ "There does not now, nor will there ever, exist a programming language in
    │ which it is the least bit hard to write bad programs." --- Flon's Axiom

  6. Re: Looking for source code...

    madcrow wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > As for available archives, there seems to be very little source
    > code available. "Public domain" meant "binary freeware" rather
    > than "Open source with even less restriction than BSD" and thus
    > even "public domain" apps like VDE (which we'd really like to get
    > up and running) have no source code that I can find.

    In the old days I used to publish CP/M apps complete with source
    code, and compiled/assembled/whatever executables. Many sysops had
    the evil practice of eliding the source code, and putting the
    remainder up for download. With some I could detect and suppress
    this action.

  7. Re: Looking for source code...

    no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > I do remember VDE as source and there were more than a few editors
    > published as source in BYTE [check the September 1982]. Most all
    > of the editors for CP/M were character oriented so a GUI based system
    > will not be exploited. It's easier to get the first level (basic
    > introduction) tools by having a API that translates the CP/M apps
    > requests to whatever. The ease of that is the API (BDOS calls) are
    > well documented and even the BDOS code is available to look at.

    I can't even remember what I used as an editor under CP/M. I seem
    to vaguely recall that VEDIT was superior.

  8. Re: Looking for source code...

    On Aug 15, 9:58 am, David Given wrote:
    > madcrow wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > > A port to the Amstrad PCW is already 90% complete and after that more
    > > are on the way. The system can run on just about any Z80-based system
    > > with a bitmapped display and decent RAM banking/paging hardware.

    > Do you have any technical information that's not in German? I've got a rather
    > nice little Z80 laptop with oodles of RAM and a 480x128 bitmap screen, that it
    > might be rather nice to run this on; hardware-wise, it's also got a 765-based
    > 720kB FDD and a 16kB-granularity MMU. Do you support these? What language is
    > it all written in?
    >
    > --
    > http://www.cowlark.com
    >
    > "There does not now, nor will there ever, exist a programming language in
    > which it is the least bit hard to write bad programs." --- Flon's Axiom

    I was talking about app ports, but OS ports are good too. Check your e-
    mail for more info.

    Mike

  9. Re: Looking for source code...

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:22:34 -0400, CBFalconer
    wrote:

    >no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >>

    >... snip ...
    >>
    >> I do remember VDE as source and there were more than a few editors
    >> published as source in BYTE [check the September 1982]. Most all
    >> of the editors for CP/M were character oriented so a GUI based system
    >> will not be exploited. It's easier to get the first level (basic
    >> introduction) tools by having a API that translates the CP/M apps
    >> requests to whatever. The ease of that is the API (BDOS calls) are
    >> well documented and even the BDOS code is available to look at.

    >I can't even remember what I used as an editor under CP/M. I seem
    >to vaguely recall that VEDIT was superior.

    Vedit was very good but that was commercial. It was basically
    inspired by Vteco or DEC EDT (PDP11 and VAX).

    VDO, VDE and a few others were similar but source could be had. Then
    there were the editors like in Byte, DDJ and Kilobaud. Of course
    there were a raft of line oriented editors like ED, TED, and PT
    amoung other offered those. There were also wordprocessors with WS
    being most well known, also Electric Pencil and WPS-80 and a few I
    forgot.

    Allison

    >--
    > Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.

  10. Re: Looking for source code...

    "madcrow" wrote in message
    news:1187125985.574254.326900@b79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    > I'm looking for any possible source code for CP/M applications,
    > especially of the text editor/word processor) variety. I'm involved
    > with a Z80 OS project known as SymbOS (http://www.symbos.de) While we
    > have a stable kernel (including excellent memory management, efficient
    > task scheduling and a true microkernel design) and a fully useful GUI,
    > we're severely lacking in applications (other than some "fun" stuff
    > like a music player, image viewer, a silent video player, PacMan,
    > Minesweeper and in the latest beta, a hypertext document viewer)
    >
    > Thus our project is out trolling for apps to port to the CLI
    > environment. Any suggestion for apps, pointers to source code (and if
    > you're REALLY nice, finished ports...) would be most welcome.
    >
    > Mike

    Although I never actually used it myself, you might want
    to look at the user group archives on the Walnut Creek CDROM
    for the small-c sources of the RED text editor (from DR. Dobbs').

    If you search the CDROM you may also find sources in the '.lbr'
    archive files, although many of the available sources are
    in assembler.

    You will also find some sources in MSDOS and UNIX archives
    which can be back-adapted to Z80 assembler, or compiled with
    CP/M 'C' compilers.

  11. Re: Looking for source code...

    wrote:

    >On Aug 14, 7:29 pm, no.s...@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:13:05 -0000, madcrow
    >>
    >> wrote:
    >> >I'm looking for any possible source code for CP/M applications,
    >> >especially of the text editor/word processor) variety. I'm involved
    >> >with a Z80 OS project known as SymbOS (http://www.symbos.de) While we
    >> >have a stable kernel (including excellent memory management, efficient
    >> >task scheduling and a true microkernel design) and a fully useful GUI,
    >> >we're severely lacking in applications (other than some "fun" stuff
    >> >like a music player, image viewer, a silent video player, PacMan,
    >> >Minesweeper and in the latest beta, a hypertext document viewer)

    >> >Thus our project is out trolling for apps to port to the CLI
    >> >environment. Any suggestion for apps, pointers to source code (and if
    >> >you're REALLY nice, finished ports...) would be most welcome.

    >> >Mike

    >> Interesting but it only is ported to Amstrad CPC, MSX2, MSX2+ and MSX
    >> TurboR systems and most of the Z80 systems or there are left in the
    >> dark. What's missing is enough info to port to any of the other Z80
    >> boxen out there.
    >>
    >> However if you parse the various CP/M sites and archives you will
    >> find applications to fill your dreams.
    >>
    >> I'd suggest a CP/M API interface to allow porting some useful stuff
    >> like Spreadsheets, databases and other tools. otherwise you have to
    >> read the code and alter it as needed as much of it is not in a higher
    >> language such as C.
    >>
    >> Have fun.
    >>
    >> Allison

    >A port to the Amstrad PCW is already 90% complete and after that more
    >are on the way. The system can run on just about any Z80-based system
    >with a bitmapped display and decent RAM banking/paging hardware.

    Amstrand is also rare here.

    >As for available archives, there seems to be very little source code
    >available. "Public domain" meant "binary freeware" rather than "Open
    >source with even less restriction than BSD" and thus even "public
    >domain" apps like VDE (which we'd really like to get up and running)
    >have no source code that I can find.

    Have you checked Gaby's site or Udo Monk's?

    If you didn't understand me the idea was by providing a loadable CP/M
    envronment emulation (CPM API) you could then run existing code as is
    without source. This is less a task than reassembly of a large number
    of programs written for many different asssembleers.

    Allison

    >Mike

  12. Re: Looking for source code...

    wrote:

    >I'm looking for any possible source code for CP/M applications,
    >especially of the text editor/word processor) variety. I'm involved
    >with a Z80 OS project known as SymbOS (http://www.symbos.de) While we
    >have a stable kernel (including excellent memory management, efficient
    >task scheduling and a true microkernel design) and a fully useful GUI,
    >we're severely lacking in applications (other than some "fun" stuff
    >like a music player, image viewer, a silent video player, PacMan,
    >Minesweeper and in the latest beta, a hypertext document viewer)
    >
    >Thus our project is out trolling for apps to port to the CLI
    >environment. Any suggestion for apps, pointers to source code (and if
    >you're REALLY nice, finished ports...) would be most welcome.
    >
    >Mike

    Have you looked here yet?

    http://www.retroarchive.org/

  13. Re: Looking for source code...

    madcrow wrote:

    > I'm looking for any possible source code for CP/M applications,
    > especially of the text editor/word processor) variety. I'm involved
    > with a Z80 OS project known as SymbOS (http://www.symbos.de) While we
    > have a stable kernel (including excellent memory management, efficient
    > task scheduling and a true microkernel design) and a fully useful GUI,
    > we're severely lacking in applications (other than some "fun" stuff
    > like a music player, image viewer, a silent video player, PacMan,
    > Minesweeper and in the latest beta, a hypertext document viewer)
    >
    > Thus our project is out trolling for apps to port to the CLI
    > environment. Any suggestion for apps, pointers to source code (and if
    > you're REALLY nice, finished ports...) would be most welcome.
    >
    > Mike

    Hello Mike, your SymbOS is quite impressive!
    Are the sources for it availables in some way ??

    Piergiorgio

+ Reply to Thread