How does CP/M refer to disk volumes? - CP/M

This is a discussion on How does CP/M refer to disk volumes? - CP/M ; By drive letters? Volume names? Something else? TIA....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    By drive letters? Volume names? Something else?
    TIA.

  2. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    Tim Murray wrote:
    > By drive letters? Volume names? Something else?
    > TIA.

    By drive letters, like DOS - A:, B:, C: etc.

    You are welcome.
    Richard Brady

  3. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    On 13 août, 03:46, Tim Murray wrote his famous question:

    > How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?
    > By drive letters? Volume names? Something else?

    Read The F... Manual!

    (What are you doing here if you don't even know how CP/M disks are
    named?)

    Mr Emmanuel Roche

  4. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:46:36 -0400, Tim Murray
    wrote:

    >By drive letters? Volume names? Something else?
    >TIA.

    It doesnt, volumes are not named.

    If anything it's a hardware/bios mapping whatever media is selected
    to the basic drive name[A-->P]. Same for hard disks or their
    partitions.

    Allison

  5. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    Roche... it is about time someone commented on your bad manners! Look up
    the meaning of "INTOLERANCE" and apply that definition to your response to
    Tim Murray's innocent question. I have read many of your posts over the
    years and find largely, the contributions to be informative and of benefit;
    in fact, I find them admirable but lacking in social grace. Your arrogance
    and irrational rants detract from otherwise insightful research that
    deserves better recognition than you seem capable of presenting. Get the
    "newby" **** out of your addled head and give an honest guy a break.

    It is possibly lacking in the Norman dialect and traditions, and possibly
    unfamiliar to you, but we in more civilized societies believe in giving a
    man a break (that means treating him with respect and dignity of a civil
    response). You might very well be deficient of basic social graces, but
    respectful dialogue should be paramount. Shame on you if you have not
    learned this lesson earlier in your education! If this is not in keeping
    with your beliefs, KEEP YOUR OPINIONS TO YOURSELF!!!

    If you would like to compare credentials or get into a pissing match, I'm up
    to the challenge!

    -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

    wrote in message
    news:1187008239.254412.25700@22g2000hsm.googlegrou ps.com...
    On 13 août, 03:46, Tim Murray wrote his famous question:

    > How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?
    > By drive letters? Volume names? Something else?

    Read The F... Manual!

    (What are you doing here if you don't even know how CP/M disks are
    named?)

    Mr Emmanuel Roche

  6. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    On Aug 13, 8:11 pm, "Thomas \"Todd\" Fischer" wrote:
    > Roche... it is about time someone commented on your bad manners! Look up
    > the meaning of "INTOLERANCE" and apply that definition to your response to
    > Tim Murray's innocent question. I have read many of your posts over the
    > years and find largely, the contributions to be informative and of benefit;
    > in fact, I find them admirable but lacking in social grace. Your arrogance
    > and irrational rants detract from otherwise insightful research that
    > deserves better recognition than you seem capable of presenting. Get the
    > "newby" **** out of your addled head and give an honest guy a break.
    >
    > It is possibly lacking in the Norman dialect and traditions, and possibly
    > unfamiliar to you, but we in more civilized societies believe in giving a
    > man a break (that means treating him with respect and dignity of a civil
    > response). You might very well be deficient of basic social graces, but
    > respectful dialogue should be paramount. Shame on you if you have not
    > learned this lesson earlier in your education! If this is not in keeping
    > with your beliefs, KEEP YOUR OPINIONS TO YOURSELF!!!
    >
    > If you would like to compare credentials or get into a pissing match, I'mup
    > to the challenge!
    >
    > -Thomas "Todd" Fischer
    >
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1187008239.254412.25700@22g2000hsm.googlegrou ps.com...
    > On 13 août, 03:46, Tim Murray wrote his famous question:
    >
    > > How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?
    > > By drive letters? Volume names? Something else?

    > Read The F... Manual!
    >
    > (What are you doing here if you don't even know how CP/M disks are
    > named?)
    >
    > Mr Emmanuel Roche

    MInd reader - Thanks

    BIll H

  7. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    Richard Brady wrote:
    > Tim Murray wrote:
    >
    >> By drive letters? Volume names? Something else?

    > By drive letters, like DOS - A:, B:, C: etc.

    Correction - MSDOS uses the CP/M convention.

  8. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > Richard Brady wrote:

    (snip)

    >>By drive letters, like DOS - A:, B:, C: etc.

    > Correction - MSDOS uses the CP/M convention.

    CP67/CMS had drive letters even earlier, and maybe other
    systems that I don't know about. But CMS doesn't use colon
    delimited prefixes for drive letters.

    DEC used colon delimited prefixes for devices, though.

    -- glen

  9. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    *Thomas \"Todd\" Fischer* wrote on Tue, 07-08-14 02:11:
    >It is possibly lacking in the Norman dialect and traditions

    Well I certainly have had my head bitten off by overly sensitive
    Americans too in the past. Once my big misdeed was referring to the
    technical difficulty a woman was inquiring about as "your problem" - oh
    boy did she have a dig into me then!

    Noone ever accused our M. Roche of overpoliteness yet but I have always
    got on better with rude people knowing their stuff than those very
    friendly and courteous nincompoops some helplines are riddled with.

    And Emmanuel, what the volumes are named and what is shown, i.e. A,B,C
    etc is one thing, but if I rember correctly they are called and
    referred to as 0, 1, 2 etc. internally - one half-byte iirc.

  10. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    Hello Axel-

    Just a bit of insight here from my perspective as one of the documented
    "pioneers" of personal computing... none of us is going to be here forever.
    Given that premise, and the very existence of this special interest group,
    it is our implied responsibility to share our collective experience with
    others who wish to follow in our footsteps, even if we stepped in **** in
    the process. We should not discourage or deny access to others less
    knowledgable for something that seems basic. Instead we should either
    answer their query with understanding and compassion, or point them to a
    resource that will resolve their quest and hopefully encourage them to
    continue our efforts to preserve and advance a subject that binds us all.

    You never know what potential value a novice may bring to this group in
    possibly discovering some new, unknown resource of materials or knowledge
    that we weren't aware of before. Why burn a bridge because an infant wishes
    to cross?

    If Roache's past despicable behavior can be considered acceptable in
    anyone's culture, "that pig's gonna need a lot more lipstick" in my book!

    Respectfully,

    -Thomas "Ain't dissin' no one" Fischer

    "Axel Berger" wrote in message
    > *Thomas \"Todd\" Fischer* wrote on Tue, 07-08-14 02:11:
    >>It is possibly lacking in the Norman dialect and traditions

    > Well I certainly have had my head bitten off by overly sensitive
    > Americans too in the past. Once my big misdeed was referring to the
    > technical difficulty a woman was inquiring about as "your problem" - oh
    > boy did she have a dig into me then!
    >
    > Noone ever accused our M. Roche of overpoliteness yet but I have always
    > got on better with rude people knowing their stuff than those very
    > friendly and courteous nincompoops some helplines are riddled with.
    >
    > And Emmanuel, what the volumes are named and what is shown, i.e. A,B,C
    > etc is one thing, but if I rember correctly they are called and
    > referred to as 0, 1, 2 etc. internally - one half-byte iirc.

  11. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
    >> CP67/CMS had drive letters even earlier, and maybe other
    >> systems that I don't know about. But CMS doesn't use colon
    >> delimited prefixes for drive letters.

    Do you mean IBM's CMS running on IBM mainframes under VM/370, VM/XA etc.?
    Didn't that have "minidisks" or how they were called, like A1, A2, etc. so with
    a digit after the alphabetic character?

    Regards,
    Freek.
    email: f.heite ATT hccnet DOTT nl

  12. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:23:00 +0200, Axel_Berger@b.maus.de (Axel
    Berger) wrote:

    >And Emmanuel, what the volumes are named and what is shown, i.e. A,B,C
    >etc is one thing, but if I rember correctly they are called and
    >referred to as 0, 1, 2 etc. internally - one half-byte iirc.

    A: is not a volume name, it's a drive reference. It could be simply
    drive 0.

    A Volume name is best illustrated in UCSD Psystem where if you put the
    wrong disk in it will say insert COMP in device 1 or PASNS in device
    0.

    CP/M does not name the media. The usualy application at the OS level
    for names volumes is checking for changed media. CP/M does this by
    reading the directory [logging it in] and creating a check pattern in
    memory located at CHKn in the DPB so that is media is changed the
    check string will not match and the system makes the disk RO and
    squwaks.

    Allison

  13. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    On Aug 13, 2007, roche182@laposte.net wrote:
    > On 13 août, 03:46, Tim Murray wrote his famous question:
    >
    >> How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?
    >> By drive letters? Volume names? Something else?

    > Read The F... Manual!
    >
    > (What are you doing here if you don't even know how CP/M disks are
    > named?)
    >
    > Mr Emmanuel Roche

    I'm here BECAUSE I don't know how they are named, ****y bastard.

  14. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    Hey Tim,

    Don't get "spooled up" because of Roach's caustic reply. There are plenty
    of good and knowledgeable people on this newsgroup who will willingly help
    you along. We encourage you ask all that you seek and, perhaps, you will
    later share your discoveries with others.

    Warmest regards,

    -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

    "Tim Murray" wrote in message
    > On Aug 13, 2007, roche182@laposte.net wrote:
    >> On 13 août, 03:46, Tim Murray wrote his famous question:
    >>
    >>> How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?
    >>> By drive letters? Volume names? Something else?

    >> Read The F... Manual!
    >>
    >> (What are you doing here if you don't even know how CP/M disks are
    >> named?)
    >>
    >> Mr Emmanuel Roche
    >>

    > I'm here BECAUSE I don't know how they are named, ****y bastard.

  15. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    Don't forget CP/M 3.x (AKA CP/M+) *CAN* write a disk volume
    label/name... although I don't quite know if it is used for any of the
    disk change checking... :-(

    Thomas "Todd" Fischer wrote:
    > Hey Tim,
    >
    > Don't get "spooled up" because of Roach's caustic reply. There are plenty
    > of good and knowledgeable people on this newsgroup who will willingly help
    > you along. We encourage you ask all that you seek and, perhaps, you will
    > later share your discoveries with others.
    >
    > Warmest regards,
    >
    > -Thomas "Todd" Fischer
    >

    > "Tim Murray" wrote in message

    >>> Read The F... Manual!
    >>>
    >>> (What are you doing here if you don't even know how CP/M disks are
    >>> named?)
    >>>
    >>> Mr Emmanuel Roche
    >>>

    >> I'm here BECAUSE I don't know how they are named, ****y bastard.

  16. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 02:24:21 -0400, "Andrew J. Kroll" wrote:

    >Don't forget CP/M 3.x (AKA CP/M+) *CAN* write a disk volume
    >label/name... although I don't quite know if it is used for any of the
    >disk change checking... :-(

    It doesn't.

    Allison

    >Thomas "Todd" Fischer wrote:
    >> Hey Tim,
    >>
    >> Don't get "spooled up" because of Roach's caustic reply. There are plenty
    >> of good and knowledgeable people on this newsgroup who will willingly help
    >> you along. We encourage you ask all that you seek and, perhaps, you will
    >> later share your discoveries with others.
    >>
    >> Warmest regards,
    >>
    >> -Thomas "Todd" Fischer
    >>

    >> "Tim Murray" wrote in message

    >>> I'm here BECAUSE I don't know how they are named, ****y bastard.

  17. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    Axel Berger wrote:

    > Well I certainly have had my head bitten off by overly sensitive
    > Americans too in the past. Once my big misdeed was referring to the
    > technical difficulty a woman was inquiring about as "your problem" - oh
    > boy did she have a dig into me then!

    Ouch.. That is one of those "Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars.."
    things. In a previous life, I ran a company that installed and serviced
    intercom systems for use in medical/surgical facilities. After being chewed
    out by the nurse-manager over a functional issue and realizing that it was a
    simple adjustment, I got as far as saying "Oh, that's not a problem.." and
    Kaboom! She took it as an invalidation of her viewpoint rather than a lead-in
    to my promise for swift repair. I was lucky to escape with my life...

    There are an unfortunate number of folks in this world who seem to work
    overtime at finding offense in any communication. Hell, hang out on
    comp.lang.perl.misc for daily examples!

    Steve

  18. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    Freek Heite wrote:

    > glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
    >
    >>>CP67/CMS had drive letters even earlier, and maybe other
    >>>systems that I don't know about. But CMS doesn't use colon
    >>>delimited prefixes for drive letters.

    > Do you mean IBM's CMS running on IBM mainframes under VM/370, VM/XA etc.?
    > Didn't that have "minidisks" or how they were called, like A1, A2, etc. so with
    > a digit after the alphabetic character?

    Well, the letter specifies the minidisk, the number relates to what
    kind of access you can do on the disk. The number was optional.

    -- glen

  19. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    On Aug 12, 2007, Tim Murray wrote:
    > By drive letters? Volume names? Something else?
    > TIA.

    Okay, so if you want to know the scoop: In another forum, someone was saying
    something about drive letters and "since the days of DOS." I spent my salad
    days with DOS and I knew it inside and out, but I had a hunch that CP/M used
    drive letters ... from what I hear DOS was pretty much ripped off CP/M ...
    but I know nothing about CP/M so I thought I would check out the facts before
    making a claim.

  20. Re: How does CP/M refer to disk volumes?

    In Tim Murray writes:

    > [...]
    > I had a hunch that CP/M used drive letters ...

    And user areas, 0-15 iirc.

    > from what I hear DOS was pretty much ripped off CP/M ...

    Actually DOS was IBM's VSE predecessor. You mean M$-DOS, which was QDOS
    (Quick & Dirty OS) bought by M$.

    > but I know nothing about CP/M so I thought I would check out the facts
    > before making a claim.

    A long time ago someone told me Gary Kildall teethed on a DEC System10,
    and that's why CP/M had drive letters, too. May be an urban legend, though.
    --
    e-mail: dk3uz AT darc DOT de | AMPRNET: dk3uz@db0hht.ampr.org
    If replying to a Usenet article, please use above e-mail address.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast