Re: cp/m in the news - CP/M

This is a discussion on Re: cp/m in the news - CP/M ; OK, here's my trivial 2 cents: I think most would agree that Kildall was a brilliant innovator, and not much of a businessman. Gates is a brilliant businessman, and not much of an innovator. Outside the DA's office, "stole" is ...

  1. Re: cp/m in the news

    OK, here's my trivial 2 cents:

    I think most would agree that Kildall was a brilliant innovator, and
    not much of a businessman. Gates is a brilliant businessman, and not
    much of an innovator. Outside the DA's office, "stole" is a POV word,
    and arguable.

    I tend to agree with Tarkin, at least to a point. I'm sure he's
    familiar with the infamous agreement between Gates/IBM about non-dev
    of software save for MS DOS, prior to Kildall's signing away his
    claims. And as for the demonic writings to the boot sector, well,
    remember that Win95 concatenated to the boot sector of floppies, w-
    protected or not (ask any old-time Roland engineer or hardware
    sequencer user). I don't have a clue was was written, Roland wouldn't
    tell me, but I suspect it was more significant than time &
    temperature.

    Kildall is still my hero; I think about him every time I am forced to
    cold-boot XP (daily).

    BTW, you maintainers of CP/M and the early OS stuff are greatly
    appreciated; I can't tell you how much fun I've had emulating
    Z80/CPM80 and writing assembly stuff. It's a blast. Thanks all.

    --------------------------------------

    Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final
    ------------------- ----- ---- -- -

  2. Re: cp/m in the news

    Shazam (him@last.org) wrote:

    >> And as for the demonic writings to the boot sector, well,
    >> remember that Win95 concatenated to the boot sector of floppies, w-
    >> protected or not (ask any old-time Roland engineer or hardware
    >> sequencer user). I don't have a clue was was written, Roland wouldn't
    >> tell me, but I suspect it was more significant than time &
    >> temperature.

    You mean the "Windows volume tracker issue"? More info is on
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/148637

    Freek.
    email: f.heite ATT hccnet DOTT nl

+ Reply to Thread