Imsai 8080 - CP/M

This is a discussion on Imsai 8080 - CP/M ; eBay - http://301url.com/Imsai8080...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Imsai 8080

  2. Re: Imsai 8080

    $1,200+ for a unit with only the CPU and 2 memory boards is high.

    Torn wrote:
    > eBay - http://301url.com/Imsai8080

  3. Re: Imsai 8080

    In article <2b2e0ea58b9d358cf20f437545a4ea46@pseudo.borked.net>
    Torn wrote:

    > eBay - http://301url.com/Imsai8080

    $2,524.09

  4. Re: Imsai 8080

    "Barry Watzman" wrote in message news:46bd3e58$0$8931$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    > $1,200+ for a unit with only the CPU and 2 memory boards is high.
    >

    > Torn wrote:
    >> eBay - http://301url.com/Imsai8080

    The sucker went for $2,524.09 with nothing more than a single MPU-A processor board! At this rate I may very well reproduce the original rather than the Series Two. For what it's worth, I have possibly one of the oldest IMSAI 8080's ever made; one of the first 13 shipped in December of 1975. It is certainly the oldest original I've ever seen outside of the IMSAI Marketing prototype that I sold about 5 years ago. You'll probably see it on eBay soon as the years and clutter are gradually taking their toll on me. The "IMSAI Dollhouse" and the original source code hard copy of CP/M from Gary Kildall might follow in short order.

    -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

  5. Re: Imsai 8080

    How much do you think an original copy of 86-DOS, both disks and
    manuals, would bring (versions from 0.33 to 1.25)?

    Thomas "Todd" Fischer wrote:

    > "Barry Watzman" > > wrote in message
    > > $1,200+ for a unit with only the CPU and 2 memory boards is high.
    > >

    > > Torn wrote:
    > >> eBay - http://301url.com/Imsai8080
    > >>

    > The sucker went for $2,524.09 with nothing more than a single MPU-A
    > processor board! At this rate I may very well reproduce the original
    > rather than the Series Two. For what it's worth, I have possibly one of
    > the oldest IMSAI 8080's ever made; one of the first 13 shipped in
    > December of 1975. It is certainly the oldest original I've ever seen
    > outside of the IMSAI Marketing prototype that I sold about 5 years ago.
    > You'll probably see it on eBay soon as the years and clutter are
    > gradually taking their toll on me. The "IMSAI Dollhouse" and the
    > original source code hard copy of CP/M from Gary Kildall might follow in
    > short order.
    >
    > -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

  6. Re: Imsai 8080

    Hello Barry-

    I don't have an idea about value of this kind of thing as it's entirely up
    to the buyer and his/her needs or perception of worth. An Apple 1 is far
    more valuable than any other later permutation because of its unique
    historical value, just as original IMSAI 8080's seem to bring far more than
    what you can buy a Series Two for. Kinda discouraging, but then, that's the
    nature of the market.

    Best regards,

    -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

    > How much do you think an original copy of 86-DOS, both disks and manuals,
    > would bring (versions from 0.33 to 1.25)?
    >

    > Thomas "Todd" Fischer wrote:
    >> "Barry Watzman" >> > wrote in message
    >> > $1,200+ for a unit with only the CPU and 2 memory boards is high.

    >> The sucker went for $2,524.09 with nothing more than a single MPU-A
    >> processor board! At this rate I may very well reproduce the original
    >> rather than the Series Two. For what it's worth, I have possibly one of
    >> the oldest IMSAI 8080's ever made; one of the first 13 shipped in
    >> December of 1975. It is certainly the oldest original I've ever seen
    >> outside of the IMSAI Marketing prototype that I sold about 5 years ago.
    >> You'll probably see it on eBay soon as the years and clutter are
    >> gradually taking their toll on me. The "IMSAI Dollhouse" and the
    >> original source code hard copy of CP/M from Gary Kildall might follow in
    >> short order.
    >> -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

  7. Re: Imsai 8080

    Thomas \"Todd\" Fischer wrote:

    > Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
    > Encoding: quoted-printable

    Please don't use html in Usenet. It is non-standard, and a
    danger. Stick to pure text format.

  8. Re: Imsai 8080

    On Aug 13, 7:40 pm, "Thomas \"Todd\" Fischer" wrote:
    > The sucker went for $2,524.09 with nothing more than a single MPU-A processor board! At this rate I may very well reproduce the original rather than the Series Two. For what it's worth, I have possibly one of the oldest IMSAI 8080's ever made; one of the first 13 shipped in December of 1975. It is certainly the oldest original I've ever seen outside of the IMSAI Marketing prototype that I sold about 5 years ago. You'll probably see it on eBay soon as the years and clutter are gradually taking their toll on me. The "IMSAI Dollhouse" and the original source code hard copy of CP/M from Gary Kildall might follow in short order.
    >
    > -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

    I'd like to voice my support for Todd and his IMSAI series 2 stuff
    here. I purchased a series 2 Exp-9 motherboard a year ago for use in
    my early IMSAI 8080. Upon receipt, the board looked great...
    absolutely top quality design and construction... rarely seen at this
    level any more.

    Anyway, I didn't get to use it for a whole year due to other
    projects. When I installed it, I found a single manufacturing
    defect... a real fluke.

    Now, *after* a year, even if of non-use, what manufacturer would still
    support you? Few warrantees go past a year. Yet, after I emailed
    Todd describing the problem, he still was just as responsive and as
    supportive as he was pre-sale a year ago... and has accepted back the
    board to repair or replace (we haven't decided yet).

    I wasn't paid for this testimonial.. hehe... but I think it's
    important to recognize good people like this when they're found.

    ~ J

  9. Re: Imsai 8080

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:26:39 -0700, MdntTrain
    wrote:

    >On Aug 13, 7:40 pm, "Todd" wrote:
    >> The sucker went for $

    >I'd like to voice my support for Todd and his x stuff

    It was spam and this is not an ebay forum. That's what ebay
    user reviews and feedback are for.

  10. Re: Imsai 8080

    On Aug 15, 8:54 pm, kony wrote:
    > It was spam and this is not an ebay forum. That's what ebay
    > user reviews and feedback are for.

    You are incorrect. It was not "spam".

    Spamming is the abuse of electronic messaging systems to
    indiscriminately send unsolicited bulk messages.

    My comments and experiences also did not originate from, or involve in
    any way, eBay.

    ~ J

  11. Re: Imsai 8080

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:24:40 -0700, MdntTrain
    wrote:

    >On Aug 15, 8:54 pm, kony wrote:
    >> It was spam and this is not an ebay forum. That's what ebay
    >> user reviews and feedback are for.

    >You are incorrect. It was not "spam".

    It is spam.

    >Spamming is the abuse of electronic messaging systems to
    >indiscriminately send unsolicited bulk messages.

    That's one definition. Want to bet whether the others here
    think posting ebay auction ads is spam? It most definitely
    is.

    >My comments and experiences also did not originate from, or involve in
    >any way, eBay.

    They certainly did if it was bought from ebay, or are
    intended to pertain to a current or past sale on ebay which
    was clearly the situation.

    If I'll make you feel better we can just keep reporting this
    to ebay and let them decide?

  12. Re: Imsai 8080

    kony wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:24:40 -0700, MdntTrain
    > wrote:

    (snip)

    >>>It was spam and this is not an ebay forum. That's what ebay
    >>>user reviews and feedback are for.

    (snip)

    >>Spamming is the abuse of electronic messaging systems to
    >>indiscriminately send unsolicited bulk messages.

    > That's one definition. Want to bet whether the others here
    > think posting ebay auction ads is spam? It most definitely
    > is.

    I try to consider each case separately. In this case, I didn't
    see it until the auction was over, and didn't realize that it was
    posted earlier, before the end.

    Some of the things I consider are the applicability to the group,
    and how much interest there might be.

    I do believe that the current prices for S-100 systems are applicable
    here. Also, that they are sufficiently rare that it is reasonable to
    find some interest here.

    I have complained before about people posting way overpriced and
    outdated ethernet equipment, or even tape drive, to the ethernet
    newsgroup.

    It seems the bid was already over $1000 when the post was made.

    My personal opinion is that it is reasonable, but it was a
    close decision. Others can make their own decision.

    -- glen

  13. Re: Imsai 8080

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 22:26:29 -0800, glen herrmannsfeldt
    wrote:

    >kony wrote:
    >> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:24:40 -0700, MdntTrain
    >> wrote:

    >(snip)

    >(snip)
    >
    >>>Spamming is the abuse of electronic messaging systems to
    >>>indiscriminately send unsolicited bulk messages.

    >> That's one definition. Want to bet whether the others here
    >> think posting ebay auction ads is spam? It most definitely
    >> is.

    >I try to consider each case separately. In this case, I didn't
    >see it until the auction was over, and didn't realize that it was
    >posted earlier, before the end.
    >
    >Some of the things I consider are the applicability to the group,
    >and how much interest there might be.

    There is no "applicable to the group".

    Consider that hundreds of thousands of ebay items are fairly
    "applicable to the group".

    It's still spam. This is explicitly a non-advertising
    medium.

    >I do believe that the current prices for S-100 systems are applicable
    >here. Also, that they are sufficiently rare that it is reasonable to
    >find some interest here.

    It is completely irrelevant what the current price for
    anything is. This is not an appropriatel forum, it is spam
    no matter what the price!

    >I have complained before about people posting way overpriced and
    >outdated ethernet equipment, or even tape drive, to the ethernet
    >newsgroup.
    >
    >It seems the bid was already over $1000 when the post was made.

    It does not matter at all. Spam status is not dependant on
    these factors.

    >My personal opinion is that it is reasonable, but it was a
    >close decision. Others can make their own decision.

    There is no "close decision".

    If someone wants the gear offered for auction, they are
    encouraged to visit ebay without any spam.

    Ebay auctions on usenet non-ebay cateogories are completely
    unacceptible. There is no "thought" that changes this.
    This is what spam IS.

    There is a clear "line in the sand". Spamming usenet groups
    about ebay auctions is unacceptible and violates ebay and
    your ISP's TOS. It does not matter even the tiniest bit if
    you agree, your opinion does not set policy until you
    personally host a private usenet group effected.

    It is spam, and is in violation of all established TOS and
    guidelines, including ebay's.

  14. Re: Imsai 8080

    kony wrote:

    (snip)

    >>I try to consider each case separately. In this case, I didn't
    >>see it until the auction was over, and didn't realize that it was
    >>posted earlier, before the end.

    >>Some of the things I consider are the applicability to the group,
    >>and how much interest there might be.

    > There is no "applicable to the group".

    I was explaining my personal view on newsgroup spam. You may
    have a different view, but that doesn't change my viewpoint.

    > Consider that hundreds of thousands of ebay items are fairly
    > "applicable to the group".

    > It's still spam. This is explicitly a non-advertising
    > medium.

    If you want to be that strict about it, I think we have to
    remove all posts related to the P112. I think that would
    be a mistake.

    (snip)

    > There is a clear "line in the sand". Spamming usenet groups
    > about ebay auctions is unacceptible and violates ebay and
    > your ISP's TOS. It does not matter even the tiniest bit if
    > you agree, your opinion does not set policy until you
    > personally host a private usenet group effected.

    You indicated unconditionally that others here would agree
    with you. I, for one, don't.

    -- glen

  15. Re: Imsai 8080

    kony wrote:
    [...]
    > It's still spam. This is explicitly a non-advertising
    > medium.

    Actually, that's not technically true. Usenet spam is defined thusly, by the
    net.abuse people (who should know because they *made up* the term):

    > The term "spam," as used on this newsgroup, means "the same article (or
    > essentially the same article) posted an unacceptably high number of times to
    > one or more newsgroups." CONTENT IS IRRELEVANT. 'Spam' doesn't mean "ads."
    > It doesn't mean "abuse." It doesn't mean "posts whose content I object to."
    > Spam is a funky name for a phenomenon that can be measured pretty
    > objectively: did that post appear X times?

    (See the net.abuse FAQ section 2.1:
    ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-gro.../Net_Abuse_FAQ
    and the Advertising On Usenet FAQ:
    ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-gro...w_Not_To_Do_It
    .)

    As the original post was sent two two newsgroups and occurred once, it has a
    BI of sqrt(2)*1 = 1.4. The current threshold is 20, and therefore it isnot spam.

    What is more, neither comp.os.cpm nor alt.comp.hardware have formal charters
    that I can find; therefore they are not explicitly non-advertising media.

    That doesn't make the original post any less rude, though. If you're going to
    post that kind of message, there are better ways of doing it.

    --
    ┌── dg*cowlark.com ─── http://www.cowlark.com ──────────────── ──

    │ "There does not now, nor will there ever, exist a programming language in
    │ which it is the least bit hard to write bad programs." --- Flon's Axiom

  16. Re: Imsai 8080

    On Aug 16, 10:52 pm, kony wrote:
    > It is spam.

    Oh, you're referring to the original post, not my message about Todd.
    Misunderstood.

    In other newsgroups I'm a member of, people regularly talk about ebay
    ads.. but I agree... this particular post should have been in
    a .marketplace location UNLESS posed as a discussion element.

    > >My comments and experiences also did not originate from, or involve in
    > >any way, eBay.

    > They certainly did if it was bought from ebay, or are
    > intended to pertain to a current or past sale on ebay which
    > was clearly the situation.

    My comments at no time had anything to do with ebay, or even with
    the original post. Nor did my transaction with him involve ebay.
    Rather, I saw Todd post and I just wanted to say a few kind words
    about the man under the topic of "IMSAI 8080" (which my words are
    directly based on).

    I won't be made to feel bad for saying something POSITIVE and NICE
    about someone else. Todd's a special guy -- deserves praise -- and
    has continued on the remarkable IMSAI name after buying it out when it
    went bankrupt LONG ago. We're fortunate to have him still supporting
    us... both from a historical sense.. but also... as how many other
    S-100 vendors are out there???

    > If I'll make you feel better we can just keep reporting this
    > to ebay and let them decide?

    I think both you and ebay have better things you could be doing. lol.

    ~ J

  17. Re: Imsai 8080

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 13:46:57 +0100, David Given
    wrote:

    >kony wrote:
    >[...]
    >> It's still spam. This is explicitly a non-advertising
    >> medium.

    >Actually, that's not technically true. Usenet spam is defined thusly, by the
    >net.abuse people (who should know because they *made up* the term):

    Spam is a term like many which has evolved over time to
    include the common, modern uses in our language.

  18. Re: Imsai 8080

    kony wrote:
    [...]
    > Spam is a term like many which has evolved over time to
    > include the common, modern uses in our language.

    That's fine, but if you decide to call a duck a goldfish, you can hardly
    complain when someone puts a duck in your pond despite the sign saying 'NO
    GOLDFISH'.

    --
    ┌── dg*cowlark.com ─── http://www.cowlark.com ──────────────── ──

    │ "There does not now, nor will there ever, exist a programming language in
    │ which it is the least bit hard to write bad programs." --- Flon's Axiom

  19. Re: Imsai 8080

    > Spam is a term like many which has evolved over time to
    > include the common, modern uses in our language.

    Funny how one word can mean so many things. Around here
    SPAM means unwanted *commercial* messages (even one!)
    so the OP was OK since he's merely trying to sell a personal
    system and not advertising a business. In any case, messages
    about the IMSAI or any 8080 or Z-80 system seem appropriate
    here and I'm glad to see messages like that since I might otherwise
    miss an opportunity to get vintage equipment.

    Tom Lake

  20. Re: Imsai 8080

    In the immortal words of Monty Python... "Well, it's not got MUCH spam in
    it!"

    "Tom Lake" wrote in message

    >> Spam is a term like many which has evolved over time to
    >> include the common, modern uses in our language.

    > Funny how one word can mean so many things. Around here
    > SPAM means unwanted *commercial* messages (even one!)
    > so the OP was OK since he's merely trying to sell a personal
    > system and not advertising a business. In any case, messages
    > about the IMSAI or any 8080 or Z-80 system seem appropriate
    > here and I'm glad to see messages like that since I might otherwise
    > miss an opportunity to get vintage equipment.
    >
    > Tom Lake

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast