Dunfield TestFDC - CP/M

This is a discussion on Dunfield TestFDC - CP/M ; For fun, tried TestFDC with a USB 3.5" drive.. didn't appear to be compatible. Received back a message something along the lines of "no FDC interrupt." Yet, Sydex 22Disc software (for one) does work with the USB drive. Dave, can ...

  1. Dunfield TestFDC

    For fun, tried TestFDC with a USB 3.5" drive.. didn't appear to be
    compatible. Received back a message something along the lines of "no
    FDC interrupt." Yet, Sydex 22Disc software (for one) does work with
    the USB drive.

    Dave, can TestFDC be made to work with USB? Or does having the USB
    layer there remove what TestFDC needs to examine directly?

    I'm interested in learning more about TestFDC and what it is doing
    exactly.

    ~ J

  2. Re: Dunfield TestFDC

    >For fun, tried TestFDC with a USB 3.5" drive.. didn't appear to be
    >compatible. Received back a message something along the lines of "no
    >FDC interrupt." Yet, Sydex 22Disc software (for one) does work with
    >the USB drive.

    >Dave, can TestFDC be made to work with USB? Or does having the USB
    >layer there remove what TestFDC needs to examine directly?

    >I'm interested in learning more about TestFDC and what it is doing
    >exactly.

    TestFDC works directly with the PC's 765 controller hardware, and knows
    nothing about USB - Direct hardware access is the only way to truly evaluate
    the FDC capabilities.

    You can do a limited amount with BIOS services (which I assume is what
    22disk is doing - and I expect this works only within a limited subset of modes
    that are common to the USB drive), but it's not good enough to evaluate the
    true capabilities of the standard PC FDC hardware.

    TestFDC was specifically written as a companion to my ImageDisk program,
    which is also based on "raw hardware access" - At this time I do not envision
    any attempt to make ImageDisk compatible with USB drives - but the image
    format is documented, and I encourage anyone who wants to try to have a go
    at it and see what can be done.

    Dave

    --
    dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com