P112 software page @sf.net updated - CP/M

This is a discussion on P112 software page @sf.net updated - CP/M ; Hi all, It's been a while, but I finally found the time to add some stuff to the P112 Software Project page I opened at sourceforge.net a couple of years ago. The main page can be reached at http://p112.sourceforge.net There ...

  1. P112 software page @sf.net updated

    Hi all,

    It's been a while, but I finally found the time to add some stuff to
    the P112 Software Project page I opened at sourceforge.net a couple of
    years ago. The main page can be reached at http://p112.sourceforge.net

    There you'll find the latest UZI180 releases, ROM monitor updates,
    CP/M 2.2 BIOS updates, ports of MP/M I and II, a CP/M 3.0 BIOS, a
    simplified version of the GIDE interface specifically for the P112,
    etc.

    There is also some stuff of general CP/M interest: updates for the
    CP/NET Unix server package (now supporting CP/NET 1.2), the latest
    version of the Z8E full-screen debugger merged with the latest 18E
    sources, a page on ISX (the Digital Research's ISIS-II emulator) and
    how to get it running, etc.

    I'll be adding some more stuff as time permits.

    Have fun!
    Regards,
    Hector.

  2. Re: P112 software page @sf.net updated

    Hector Peraza wrote:
    > Hi all,

    > It's been a while, but I finally found the time to add some stuff to
    > the P112 Software Project page I opened at sourceforge.net a couple of
    > years ago. The main page can be reached at http://p112.sourceforge.net

    > There you'll find the latest UZI180 releases, ROM monitor updates,
    > CP/M 2.2 BIOS updates, ports of MP/M I and II, a CP/M 3.0 BIOS, a
    > simplified version of the GIDE interface specifically for the P112,
    > etc.

    > There is also some stuff of general CP/M interest: updates for the
    > CP/NET Unix server package (now supporting CP/NET 1.2), the latest
    > version of the Z8E full-screen debugger merged with the latest 18E
    > sources, a page on ISX (the Digital Research's ISIS-II emulator) and
    > how to get it running, etc.

    > I'll be adding some more stuff as time permits.

    Looks good. I doubt I could get something as succinct as that. Some
    stuff it needs:

    1) The link to the P112 order side is out of date. I've moved it to
    http://frotz.homeunix.org/p112 because many people had problems
    accessing the old site.

    2) There's no contact information.

    3) The operating system section needs to have an entry for ZSDOS.

    Has anyone tried coming up with system disks for straight CP/M?

    --
    David Griffith

  3. Re: P112 software page @sf.net updated

    On 2007-08-10, Dave Griffith wrote:
    > 1) The link to the P112 order side is out of date. I've moved it to
    > http://frotz.homeunix.org/p112 because many people had problems
    > accessing the old site.

    Yay! I can get to that one.
    --
    roger ivie
    rivie@ridgenet.net

  4. Re: P112 software page @sf.net updated

    In article <3Z3vi.44941$Um6.10958@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net>, Dave Griffith
    says...

    >Looks good. I doubt I could get something as succinct as that. Some
    >stuff it needs:
    >
    >1) The link to the P112 order side is out of date. I've moved it to
    >http://frotz.homeunix.org/p112 because many people had problems
    >accessing the old site.
    >
    >2) There's no contact information.

    Thanks, Dave. I fixed these.

    >3) The operating system section needs to have an entry for ZSDOS.

    ZSDOS should fit under the CP/M 2.2 section, at least by now,
    since it is a CP/M 2.2 replacement and can use the same BIOS.
    I'm planning to modify the B/P-BIOS to make it recognize the
    FDISK partitions, then I guess I'll make a separate section for
    it.

    >Has anyone tried coming up with system disks for straight CP/M?

    They can be made easily, it's just a matter of changing the BDOS
    and CCP modules to the original DR's ones. The same BIOS can be
    used without modification. The ISX disk image, for example, uses
    a vanilla CP/M system (well, almost).

    I have still another CP/M 2.2 BIOS for the P112 that I ported from
    an old homebrew 8080 machine I made many years ago. I have a disk
    image with straight CP/M somewhere lying around. Since I changed
    the instructions from 8080 to Z180 during the port, the BIOS will
    not compile with the original ASM. And I didn't integrated it into
    MOVCPM either.

    Regards,
    Héctor.

  5. Re: P112 software page @sf.net updated

    Hello, Hector!

    1) Your e-mail address at the sourceforge produces the following:

    66.35.250.206_does_not_like_recipient./
    Remote_host_said:_550_Unrouteable_address/Giving_up_on_66.35.250.206./

    (I got this error report when sending you
    2)

    > (...) Since I changed
    > the instructions from 8080 to Z180 during the port, the BIOS will
    > not compile with the original ASM.

    Use R/MAC instead of ASM. There is even a snippet of code disabling
    the original 8080 opcodes, so you can assemble programs written in
    other mnemonics from another CPU (like the 6502) (this patched version
    is known as XMAC).

    (Tilmann Reh, the German electronics engineer who made about 50
    CPU280s, was using M80 with macros.)

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr Emmanuel Roche

  6. Re: P112 software page @sf.net updated

    In article <1187007322.644916.110220@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>,
    roche182@laposte.net says...

    >Hello, Hector!
    >
    >1) Your e-mail address at the sourceforge produces the following:
    >
    >66.35.250.206_does_not_like_recipient./
    >Remote_host_said:_550_Unrouteable_address/Giving_up_on_66.35.250.206./

    Thanks, I'll check that.

    >Use R/MAC instead of ASM. There is even a snippet of code disabling
    >the original 8080 opcodes, so you can assemble programs written in
    >other mnemonics from another CPU (like the 6502) (this patched version
    >is known as XMAC).

    The BIOS I wrote compiles with M80 and some Z180 macros, but I wanted
    to have some more traditional, i.e. 8080 code (I'll have to use some
    DB's for Z180 features anyway) that could be built with ASM and LOAD,
    and then make a disk image containing only the original DR tools: ED,
    ASM, LOAD, DDT, DUMP, STAT, PIP, MOVCPM, SYSGEN, SUBMIT and XSUB (am I
    forgetting any? - maybe an extra FORMAT)

    Regards,
    Héctor.

  7. Re: P112 software page @sf.net updated

    Hector Peraza wrote:
    > Dave Griffith says...

    .... snip ...

    >> 3) The operating system section needs to have an entry for ZSDOS.

    > ZSDOS should fit under the CP/M 2.2 section, at least by now,
    > since it is a CP/M 2.2 replacement and can use the same BIOS.
    > I'm planning to modify the B/P-BIOS to make it recognize the
    > FDISK partitions, then I guess I'll make a separate section for it.

    If you are fitting ZSDOS for it, why don't you also fit DOSPLUS
    2.5. It has many security aspects, and can be configured for the
    system. Look into the available links for reader and printer ready
    status, and the uses for the system i/o byte to change
    assignments. Note that all this does not require modifying the OS
    or CCP. It is all available, including source, movcpm equivalent,
    etc. at:

  8. Re: P112 software page @sf.net updated

    Hector Peraza wrote:
    >>3) The operating system section needs to have an entry for ZSDOS.

    > ZSDOS should fit under the CP/M 2.2 section, at least by now,
    > since it is a CP/M 2.2 replacement and can use the same BIOS.
    > I'm planning to modify the B/P-BIOS to make it recognize the
    > FDISK partitions, then I guess I'll make a separate section for
    > it.

    Slightly related -- I've typeset the ZSDOS manual in LaTeX. The
    resulting PDF is available at my website. There are some errors in the
    version I've been including with the P112 docs. This one seems to have
    all the typos fixed.

    --
    David Griffith

  9. Re: P112 software page @sf.net updated

    Hello, Hector!

    > The BIOS I wrote compiles with M80 and some Z180 macros, but I wanted
    > to have some more traditional, i.e. 8080 code (I'll have to use some
    > DB's for Z180 features anyway) that could be built with ASM and LOAD,
    > and then make a disk image containing only the original DR tools: ED,
    > ASM, LOAD, DDT, DUMP, STAT, PIP, MOVCPM, SYSGEN, SUBMIT and XSUB (am I
    > forgetting any? - maybe an extra FORMAT)

    There is a little contradiction in the expression "the original DR
    tools".

    ASM, LOAD and DDT were provided as standard with CP/M 2.2 so that
    people could write their own BIOS subroutines.

    However, for serious 8080 assembly language programming, MAC and SID
    were sold separately (just re-read the old DR advertisements: you will
    see that DR was selling 4 things separately: CP/M, MAC, SID, and
    DESPOOL).

    Most people used ASM and DDT simply because it was provided for free
    with CP/M 2.2.

    However, people that were REALLY using CP/M 2.2 for programming
    interesting things were, of course, using superior tools: those sold
    separately...

    So, it all depends on your goal:

    1) Provide an outfashioned OS
    2) Provide the best 8080 development system ever made (remember that
    ED and PIP have options dealing with macro and hex files...)

    (Yes, you are forgetting MBASIC... Version 5.29 was the last one for 8-
    bit CP/M.)

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr Emmanuel Roche

  10. Re: P112 software page @sf.net updated

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 02:01:25 -0700, roche182@laposte.net wrote:

    >Hello, Hector!
    >
    >> The BIOS I wrote compiles with M80 and some Z180 macros, but I wanted
    >> to have some more traditional, i.e. 8080 code (I'll have to use some
    >> DB's for Z180 features anyway) that could be built with ASM and LOAD,
    >> and then make a disk image containing only the original DR tools: ED,
    >> ASM, LOAD, DDT, DUMP, STAT, PIP, MOVCPM, SYSGEN, SUBMIT and XSUB (am I
    >> forgetting any? - maybe an extra FORMAT)

    >There is a little contradiction in the expression "the original DR
    >tools".
    >
    >ASM, LOAD and DDT were provided as standard with CP/M 2.2 so that
    >people could write their own BIOS subroutines.

    Actually most didn't need to write their own BIOS as it was available
    as installed for their machine.

    Those tools wee there to provide basic development as CP/M in it self
    is only the platform for other useful applications.

    >However, for serious 8080 assembly language programming, MAC and SID
    >were sold separately (just re-read the old DR advertisements: you will
    >see that DR was selling 4 things separately: CP/M, MAC, SID, and
    >DESPOOL).
    >
    >Most people used ASM and DDT simply because it was provided for free
    >with CP/M 2.2.
    >
    >However, people that were REALLY using CP/M 2.2 for programming
    >interesting things were, of course, using superior tools: those sold
    >separately...

    And most didn't use MAC and friends due to cost or preferences.

    >So, it all depends on your goal:
    >
    >1) Provide an outfashioned OS
    >2) Provide the best 8080 development system ever made (remember that
    >ED and PIP have options dealing with macro and hex files...)
    >
    >(Yes, you are forgetting MBASIC... Version 5.29 was the last one for 8-
    >bit CP/M.)
    >
    >Yours Sincerely,
    >Mr Emmanuel Roche

    You forget that for many CP/M and 8080/8085/z80 is a good
    interoduction to computers and OSs. Old or not it's understandable
    and for the curious thats not a bad thing.

    Allison

  11. Re: P112 software page @sf.net updated

    Hello Roche,

    In article <1187254885.863896.125400@k79g2000hse.googlegroups. com>,
    roche182@laposte.net says...

    >ASM, LOAD and DDT were provided as standard with CP/M 2.2 so that
    >people could write their own BIOS subroutines.
    >
    >However, for serious 8080 assembly language programming, MAC and SID
    >were sold separately (just re-read the old DR advertisements: you will
    >see that DR was selling 4 things separately: CP/M, MAC, SID, and
    >DESPOOL).

    There are already a lot of tools, languages and OSes available
    for the P112, but the vanilla CP/M is missing. That's why I wanted
    to make a disk image with it: just for the sake of it, just like
    the very first CP/M system I got (you can't imagine how many programs
    I wrote with just ASM, LOAD and DDT!). More tools than these and
    you are spoiled... ))

    Regards,
    Hector.

  12. Re: P112 software page @sf.net updated

    In article <46C0D66B.4D094BC2@yahoo.com>, CBFalconer says...

    >If you are fitting ZSDOS for it, why don't you also fit DOSPLUS
    >2.5.

    It's already there! The P112, as originally distributed, came
    with DOS+ 2.5 and CCP+. The 'CP/M 2.2' section in the web page
    deals only with the BIOS portion, which can be used with any
    CP/M 2.2 compatible replacements.

    Regards,
    Hector.

  13. Re: P112 software page @sf.net updated

    Hector Peraza wrote:
    > In article <46C0D66B.4D094BC2@yahoo.com>, CBFalconer says...
    >> If you are fitting ZSDOS for it, why don't you also fit DOSPLUS
    >> 2.5.

    > It's already there! The P112, as originally distributed, came
    > with DOS+ 2.5 and CCP+. The 'CP/M 2.2' section in the web page
    > deals only with the BIOS portion, which can be used with any
    > CP/M 2.2 compatible replacements.

    That was an intentional decision when I designed P112: to use only
    software without copyright issues. I took care that everything was
    either GPL or similarly free-to-use. This, CP/M was not.

  14. Re: P112 software page @sf.net updated

    David R Brooks wrote:
    > Hector Peraza wrote:
    >> CBFalconer says...
    >>
    >>> If you are fitting ZSDOS for it, why don't you also fit DOSPLUS
    >>> 2.5.

    >> It's already there! The P112, as originally distributed, came
    >> with DOS+ 2.5 and CCP+. The 'CP/M 2.2' section in the web page
    >> deals only with the BIOS portion, which can be used with any
    >> CP/M 2.2 compatible replacements.

    > That was an intentional decision when I designed P112: to use only
    > software without copyright issues. I took care that everything was
    > either GPL or similarly free-to-use. This, CP/M was not.

    I assume you are referring to DOSPLUS, not CP/M here. I have long
    abandoned any restrictions on the use of the package. The
    distribution contains whatever I put there twenty or so years ago.
    There are no restrictions.

  15. Re: P112 software page @sf.net updated

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > David R Brooks wrote:
    >> Hector Peraza wrote:
    >>> CBFalconer says...

    >>> It's already there! The P112, as originally distributed, came
    >>> with DOS+ 2.5 and CCP+. The 'CP/M 2.2' section in the web page
    >>> deals only with the BIOS portion, which can be used with any
    >>> CP/M 2.2 compatible replacements.

    >> That was an intentional decision when I designed P112: to use only
    >> software without copyright issues. I took care that everything was
    >> either GPL or similarly free-to-use. This, CP/M was not.

    > I assume you are referring to DOSPLUS, not CP/M here. I have long
    > abandoned any restrictions on the use of the package. The
    > distribution contains whatever I put there twenty or so years ago.
    > There are no restrictions.

    Just so. My understanding (as of a dozen years ago, when I first
    released P112) was that DOSPLUS was free to use. CP/M I wasn't sure of,
    so I played safe.

  16. Re: P112 software page @sf.net updated

    roche182@laposte.net writes:

    > you will
    >see that DR was selling 4 things separately: CP/M, MAC, SID, and
    >DESPOOL).

    Don't forget ZSID (the Z80-Version of SID) and TEX...

    Amicalement, Holger

  17. Re: P112 software page @sf.net updated

    Hello, Hector!

    Sorry to disturb you, but this is the 3rd time that I am trying to
    reach you at your sourceforge address...

    Could you please check your incoming message mailbox for any message
    titled "Message from Emmanuel Roche"?

    (This is my standard "subject" line, so you can allow it.)

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr Emmanuel Roche

+ Reply to Thread