Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy! - CP/M

This is a discussion on Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy! - CP/M ; >Message-ID: "Fred J. Scipione" wrote: > What about a USB to RS232 converter, a small +12V/+5V (surplus) power So I can plug a USB device into my serial port? Yes, I'd pay for one of them. I've recently been looking ...

  1. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    "Fred J. Scipione" wrote:
    > What about a USB to RS232 converter, a small +12V/+5V (surplus) power

    So I can plug a USB device into my serial port? Yes, I'd pay for
    one of them. I've recently been looking for a USB to IDE convertor
    - so I can plug a USB device into an IDE port - but all I can find
    are IDE to USB convertors, fraudulantly claiming that they are
    really USB to IDE convertors.

    --
    J.G.Harston - jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk - mdfs.net/User/JGH
    The most perfect world is an imperfect world as the imperfections

  2. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    Jonathan Graham Harston wrote:
    [...]
    > So I can plug a USB device into my serial port? Yes, I'd pay for
    > one of them. I've recently been looking for a USB to IDE convertor
    > - so I can plug a USB device into an IDE port - but all I can find
    > are IDE to USB convertors, fraudulantly claiming that they are
    > really USB to IDE convertors.

    Well, strictly they *are* --- it takes USB mass storage commands in one end,
    and turns them into IDE/ATAPI commands at the other. Hence, USB to IDE.

    I think you're going to be completely out of luck finding something that
    allows you to plug a USB device into an IDE port. USB is a general-purpose
    protocol, IDE/ATAPI is specifically for mass storage devices. While no doubt
    it would be possible to abuse the protocol to use it for other things (didn't
    they make IDE tape drives at one point?), I doubt anyone would be interested
    enough to put together such a thing...

    I assume you're trying to connect a USB device to a computer that doesn'thave
    any conventional ports. What is it? Do you want general-purpose USB
    capabilities, or do you just want to make one particular device work?

    --
    ┌── dg*cowlark.com ─── http://www.cowlark.com ──────────────── ──

    │ "There does not now, nor will there ever, exist a programming language in
    │ which it is the least bit hard to write bad programs." --- Flon's Axiom

  3. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    *David Given* wrote on Mon, 07-08-06 01:51:
    >I assume you're trying to connect a USB device to a computer that
    >doesn't have any conventional ports.

    You are totally out of luck here. I have been looking for a USV 1 card
    for PCMCIA for quite some time, no chance. The only ones you can find
    are USB 2 and either cardbus or PCI.

  4. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    Axel Berger wrote:
    > *David Given* wrote on Mon, 07-08-06 01:51:
    >> I assume you're trying to connect a USB device to a computer that
    >> doesn't have any conventional ports.

    > You are totally out of luck here. I have been looking for a USV 1 card
    > for PCMCIA for quite some time, no chance. The only ones you can find
    > are USB 2 and either cardbus or PCI.

    Actually, it was GP who wanted it, not me... I want one, too. (Lots of exotic
    PCMCIA-only hardware, including a very nice Psion Netbook with not enoughports.)

    If one absolutely needed such a thing, and had sufficient electronics
    knowledge, it ought to be relatively easy to put together a system using a PIC
    or an AVR microcontroller or something that bridged USB to some other
    protocol. Both microcontrollers support USB, and it shouldn't be too hardto
    come up with some software for it that allowed the USB bus to be controlled
    remotely via, say, a bidirectional parallel port. You'd then need a custom USB
    driver for the host computer that talked to the parallel port. From the
    perspective of the host, it'd just have a really slow USB driver.

    Hell, if someone came up with the software, I'd use one...

    --
    ┌── dg*cowlark.com ─── http://www.cowlark.com ──────────────── ──

    │ "There does not now, nor will there ever, exist a programming language in
    │ which it is the least bit hard to write bad programs." --- Flon's Axiom

+ Reply to Thread