AB wrote:
> original document. The original document
> is scanned as images, and placed in a single
> document. Usually the document is an Adobe Acrobat
> file.

No such thing. I presume you mean a Portable Document Format file,
which Adobe Acrobat can read and display.

> Does anyone know of a more open file format that
> would be appropriate?

Text. HTML. Animated GIF. Zipped GIF. PostScript.

> (2) Text for an original document. This version of the[...]
> Most of this type of document are distributed in
> Microsoft Word format. The only open format I can
> think of is RTF. Are there any other suggestions?

HTML. PDF. PostScript.

In all cases I prefer as close to text as possible.

--
J.G.Harston - jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk - mdfs.net/User/JGH
Spectrum Emulators - http://mdfs.net/Apps/Emulators/Spectrum