Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy! - CP/M

This is a discussion on Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy! - CP/M ; David Given wrote: > You know, I've just had a sudden flashback to the Commodore 1541 days (don't > worry, I have medication)... if it were possible to download custom code onto > the USB floppy drive, it would be ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Results 101 to 115 of 115

  1. Re: Buslink / 5.25-inch USB floppy idea is a no-go.

    David Given wrote:

    > You know, I've just had a sudden flashback to the Commodore 1541 days (don't
    > worry, I have medication)... if it were possible to download custom code onto
    > the USB floppy drive, it would be possible to reprogram it to do whatever we
    > wanted. I doubt any of these devices have anything like as convenient as a
    > download-flash command, or even a
    > download-into-buffer-and-then-buffer-overflow-and-execute command, but the
    > chances are good there's a JTAG port in disguise somewhere...

    > Alas, this is *way* beyond my level of expertise.

    There's a sort of "do everything" USB chip called "EZ-USB" that might do
    the job. I first encountered it with the M-Audio MidiSport USB midi
    interface. The chip requires firmware to be uploaded when the device is
    plugged in. This firmware makes the chip what it's supposed to be.
    There's already support in Linux for automatically doing this.

    --
    David Griffith

  2. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    "Barry Watzman" wrote in message
    > Got your attention, didn't I?
    >
    > Sorry for the [only slightly] misleading subject line.
    >
    > The Buslink FDD1 3.5" USB floppy drive ***IS*** a standard 3.5" floppy
    > drive, with an easily accessible 34-pin ribbon cable, in a case with a USB
    > to floppy controller. Will it work with a 5.25" drive? I don't know yet,
    > but it's the first time we have found a 3.5" USB floppy that isn't
    > "integrated" and that consists of a USB to floppy controller with a
    > standard 34-pin interface.

    On the back of the BUSLink there's a jack for external power. There's no
    indication of what voltage or wattage needed nor any mention of it at all in
    the manual. I would like to power it without straining the USB port. Would
    you have any idea what this might require?

    Tom Lake

  3. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    Tom Lake wrote:

    (snip)

    > On the back of the BUSLink there's a jack for external power. There's no
    > indication of what voltage or wattage needed nor any mention of it at all in
    > the manual. I would like to power it without straining the USB port. Would
    > you have any idea what this might require?

    Usual 3.5in floppy drives are 5 volt only.

    5.25in drives use both 5 volt and 12 volt power.

    -- glen

  4. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    Tom Lake wrote:
    > "Barry Watzman" wrote in message
    >
    >>Got your attention, didn't I?
    >>
    >>Sorry for the [only slightly] misleading subject line.
    >>
    >>The Buslink FDD1 3.5" USB floppy drive ***IS*** a standard 3.5" floppy
    >>drive, with an easily accessible 34-pin ribbon cable, in a case with a USB
    >>to floppy controller. Will it work with a 5.25" drive? I don't know yet,
    >>but it's the first time we have found a 3.5" USB floppy that isn't
    >>"integrated" and that consists of a USB to floppy controller with a
    >>standard 34-pin interface.

    > On the back of the BUSLink there's a jack for external power. There's no
    > indication of what voltage or wattage needed nor any mention of it at all in
    > the manual. I would like to power it without straining the USB port. Would
    > you have any idea what this might require?
    >
    > Tom Lake

    Hello Tom,

    I e-mailed BusLink and asked them that question. The reply was:

    DC Output: 12V - 2A for external power adapter.

    Later I took my FDD1 apart and found that the power jack is connected to
    an AMS2910 5.0 voltage regulator. So I suspect that any voltage between
    8 and 12 volts would probably work. In a few days when I am done
    experimenting with it I will report what I found out about it.

    Jeffrey W. Shook

  5. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    It's going to be 5 volts. The power consumption of the USB to floppy
    adapter is negligible, so it's basically just the drive that you need to
    worry about. Consider this: Mine works with just USB power. That
    means that it's working with 500ma or less. So 5 volts at 500ma should
    be fine, but if you want to "splurge", you can try 700ma to 1,000ma (1 amp).

    Tom Lake wrote:
    > "Barry Watzman" wrote in message
    >> Got your attention, didn't I?
    >>
    >> Sorry for the [only slightly] misleading subject line.
    >>
    >> The Buslink FDD1 3.5" USB floppy drive ***IS*** a standard 3.5" floppy
    >> drive, with an easily accessible 34-pin ribbon cable, in a case with a USB
    >> to floppy controller. Will it work with a 5.25" drive? I don't know yet,
    >> but it's the first time we have found a 3.5" USB floppy that isn't
    >> "integrated" and that consists of a USB to floppy controller with a
    >> standard 34-pin interface.

    > On the back of the BUSLink there's a jack for external power. There's no
    > indication of what voltage or wattage needed nor any mention of it at all in
    > the manual. I would like to power it without straining the USB port. Would
    > you have any idea what this might require?
    >
    > Tom Lake

  6. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    Ok, ignore my previous post. Can't believe that they did that.

    Jeffrey W. Shook wrote:

    > Tom Lake wrote:
    >> "Barry Watzman" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Got your attention, didn't I?
    >>>
    >>> Sorry for the [only slightly] misleading subject line.
    >>>
    >>> The Buslink FDD1 3.5" USB floppy drive ***IS*** a standard 3.5"
    >>> floppy drive, with an easily accessible 34-pin ribbon cable, in a
    >>> case with a USB to floppy controller. Will it work with a 5.25"
    >>> drive? I don't know yet, but it's the first time we have found a
    >>> 3.5" USB floppy that isn't "integrated" and that consists of a USB to
    >>> floppy controller with a standard 34-pin interface.

    >> On the back of the BUSLink there's a jack for external power. There's no
    >> indication of what voltage or wattage needed nor any mention of it at
    >> all in
    >> the manual. I would like to power it without straining the USB port.
    >> Would
    >> you have any idea what this might require?
    >>
    >> Tom Lake
    >>

    > Hello Tom,
    >
    > I e-mailed BusLink and asked them that question. The reply was:
    >
    > DC Output: 12V - 2A for external power adapter.
    >
    > Later I took my FDD1 apart and found that the power jack is connected to
    > an AMS2910 5.0 voltage regulator. So I suspect that any voltage between
    > 8 and 12 volts would probably work. In a few days when I am done
    > experimenting with it I will report what I found out about it.
    >
    > Jeffrey W. Shook

  7. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    > I e-mailed BusLink and asked them that question. The reply was:
    >
    > DC Output: 12V - 2A for external power adapter.
    >
    > Later I took my FDD1 apart and found that the power jack is connected to
    > an AMS2910 5.0 voltage regulator. So I suspect that any voltage between 8
    > and 12 volts would probably work. In a few days when I am done
    > experimenting with it I will report what I found out about it.

    My FDD1 won't run on external power. I have a 12V 1500 mA supply.
    Would it REALLY need 2A? By accident, I plugged in the external supply
    with the + and - switched. Would that have damaged the FDD1 so that it
    can no longer run on external power? As I said at the very beginning, I'm
    a total novice at hardware.

    Tom Lake

  8. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    I may have missed the posting for this. The Buslink
    device uses a SMC USB97CFDC and an external 512k
    flash rom.

  9. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    Tom Lake wrote:
    [...]
    > On the back of the BUSLink there's a jack for external power. There's no
    > indication of what voltage or wattage needed nor any mention of it at all in
    > the manual. I would like to power it without straining the USB port. Would
    > you have any idea what this might require?

    USB can provide 100mA, or up to 500mA if the device asks nicely first. Ifthe
    device draws too much power the host computer is perfectly at liberty to shut
    it down unceremoniously.

    Obviously you want to run it off Firewire instead; powered Firewire can supply
    1250mA...

    --
    ┌── dg*cowlark.com ─── http://www.cowlark.com ──────────────── ──

    │ "There does not now, nor will there ever, exist a programming language in
    │ which it is the least bit hard to write bad programs." --- Flon's Axiom

  10. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    Al Kossow wrote:

    > I may have missed the posting for this. The Buslink
    > device uses a SMC USB97CFDC and an external 512k
    > flash rom.

    Is the flash rom in a socket?

    Is it possible to read/write the ROM from USB?

    -- glen

  11. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
    > Al Kossow wrote:
    >
    >> I may have missed the posting for this. The Buslink
    >> device uses a SMC USB97CFDC and an external 512k
    >> flash rom.

    > Is the flash rom in a socket?

    no

    > Is it possible to read/write the ROM from USB?

    Quite likely. One of the app notes mentions a utility for programming
    things like vendor ID.

    The thing to do if someone is serious is to contact SMC about getting
    the real techincal specs for the part and firmware.

    I have no idea if they will even talk to you if you aren't going to
    buy thousands of parts, though.

  12. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    Tom Lake wrote:
    >>I e-mailed BusLink and asked them that question. The reply was:
    >>
    >> DC Output: 12V - 2A for external power adapter.
    >>
    >>Later I took my FDD1 apart and found that the power jack is connected to
    >>an AMS2910 5.0 voltage regulator. So I suspect that any voltage between 8
    >>and 12 volts would probably work. In a few days when I am done
    >>experimenting with it I will report what I found out about it.

    > My FDD1 won't run on external power. I have a 12V 1500 mA supply.
    > Would it REALLY need 2A? By accident, I plugged in the external supply
    > with the + and - switched. Would that have damaged the FDD1 so that it
    > can no longer run on external power? As I said at the very beginning, I'm
    > a total novice at hardware.
    >
    > Tom Lake

    Hello Tom,

    If it still works on internal power then you might have fried just the
    +5 regulator chip. If you know someone who is handy at soldering surface
    mount ICs they could put another AMS2910 5.0 in. On the other hand if
    your USB port has plenty of power available then you could just use it
    as is.

    Jeffrey W. Shook

  13. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    >> My FDD1 won't run on external power. I have a 12V 1500 mA supply.
    >> Would it REALLY need 2A? By accident, I plugged in the external supply
    >> with the + and - switched. Would that have damaged the FDD1 so that it
    >> can no longer run on external power? As I said at the very beginning,
    >> I'm
    >> a total novice at hardware.
    >>
    >> Tom Lake

    > Hello Tom,
    >
    > If it still works on internal power then you might have fried just the +5
    > regulator chip. If you know someone who is handy at soldering surface
    > mount ICs they could put another AMS2910 5.0 in. On the other hand if your
    > USB port has plenty of power available then you could just use it as is.

    It does still work on internal if I use the 3.5" floppy that came with it.
    When I replace that with a 5.25" floppy, the PC shuts down the USB port
    due to excessive current drain.
    Tom Lake

  14. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    You have no chance of running a 5.25" drive from the USB power. Not
    only is the 5 volt current draw too great, the 5.25" drive is going to
    need 12 volts also.

    Tom Lake wrote:
    >>> My FDD1 won't run on external power. I have a 12V 1500 mA supply.
    >>> Would it REALLY need 2A? By accident, I plugged in the external supply
    >>> with the + and - switched. Would that have damaged the FDD1 so that it
    >>> can no longer run on external power? As I said at the very beginning,
    >>> I'm
    >>> a total novice at hardware.
    >>>
    >>> Tom Lake

    >> Hello Tom,
    >>
    >> If it still works on internal power then you might have fried just the +5
    >> regulator chip. If you know someone who is handy at soldering surface
    >> mount ICs they could put another AMS2910 5.0 in. On the other hand if your
    >> USB port has plenty of power available then you could just use it as is.

    > It does still work on internal if I use the 3.5" floppy that came with it.
    > When I replace that with a 5.25" floppy, the PC shuts down the USB port
    > due to excessive current drain.
    > Tom Lake

  15. Re: Yee-Haa!! 5.25-inch USB floppy!

    Tom Lake wrote:
    >>>My FDD1 won't run on external power. I have a 12V 1500 mA supply.
    >>>Would it REALLY need 2A? By accident, I plugged in the external supply
    >>>with the + and - switched. Would that have damaged the FDD1 so that it
    >>>can no longer run on external power? As I said at the very beginning,
    >>>I'm
    >>>a total novice at hardware.
    >>>
    >>>Tom Lake

    >>Hello Tom,
    >>
    >>If it still works on internal power then you might have fried just the +5
    >>regulator chip. If you know someone who is handy at soldering surface
    >>mount ICs they could put another AMS2910 5.0 in. On the other hand if your
    >>USB port has plenty of power available then you could just use it as is.

    > It does still work on internal if I use the 3.5" floppy that came with it.
    > When I replace that with a 5.25" floppy, the PC shuts down the USB port
    > due to excessive current drain.
    > Tom Lake

    Hello Tom,

    You would need to use a separate +5 and +12 supply for the 5.25 in.
    drive. The TEAC manuals don't seem to have information on how much
    current is used from each supply but one from the Dell WWW site
    mentioned 1.5 A maximum on the +5 supply. I tried one using a PC-XT
    power supply to run the 5.25 in. drive but the the FDD1 controller
    didn't seem to understand how to operate it.

    I tried inserting a 1.2MB preformatted floppy but the FDD1 controller
    could not read it. It also could not format a blank 1.2MB 5.25 floppy. I
    am having trouble find 5.25 media that will format and read/write
    without error so when I find some that work I may try again.

    The results with and 8 inch Mitsubishi drive were similar. When the disk
    was inserted the head would move back and forth for a while and then it
    would give up and report no disk in drive. This same 8 in. drive works
    fine when connected to a 486 PC running MS-DOS 6.2 with the BIOS drive
    type set to 1.2MB.

    Jeffrey W. Shook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6