Morrow MD-11 documents - CP/M

This is a discussion on Morrow MD-11 documents - CP/M ; I have a full set of docs for the MD-11 machine (I've got the machine too, for that matter). I was scanning them in a couple of years back and was having a hard time of it, getting decent quality. ...

  1. Morrow MD-11 documents

    I have a full set of docs for the MD-11 machine (I've got the machine too, for
    that matter).

    I was scanning them in a couple of years back and was having a hard time of it,
    getting decent quality. Used up a couple of days. About the time I started
    getting decent scans, someone on (I think) this news group mentioned that
    they'd already been scanned in and were available on-line. So I dropped the
    project. Recently, someone in here again asked about them, so I went out to
    try to find them. I did find the docs for the MD-2 and MD-3, the floppy based
    CP/M 2.2 systems, but not for the MD-11 (MD-16, MD-5), the hard disk based CP/M
    3 machines. These are entirely different machines at the board level.
    Different test procedures, different components and so on. As far as I can
    tell, the only thing the same was some of the sheet metal.

    So, did I just miss the MD-11 documents in my search, or are they really not
    out there? If they're not, I'll scan these in and send them to someone (who
    should that be?) who can post them online for any one who needs them.

    - Bill

  2. Re: Morrow MD-11 documents

    William J. Leary Jr. wrote:
    > I have a full set of docs for the MD-11 machine (I've got the machine too, for
    > that matter).
    >
    > I was scanning them in a couple of years back and was having a hard time of it,
    > getting decent quality. Used up a couple of days. About the time I started
    > getting decent scans, someone on (I think) this news group mentioned that
    > they'd already been scanned in and were available on-line. So I dropped the
    > project. Recently, someone in here again asked about them, so I went out to
    > try to find them. I did find the docs for the MD-2 and MD-3, the floppy based
    > CP/M 2.2 systems, but not for the MD-11 (MD-16, MD-5), the hard disk based CP/M
    > 3 machines. These are entirely different machines at the board level.
    > Different test procedures, different components and so on. As far as I can
    > tell, the only thing the same was some of the sheet metal.
    >
    > So, did I just miss the MD-11 documents in my search, or are they really not
    > out there? If they're not, I'll scan these in and send them to someone (who
    > should that be?) who can post them online for any one who needs them.
    >
    > - Bill

    I am also looking for any technical manuals for the Morrow MD11,as I
    have a shaky hard drive and was looking to find schematics or service
    data for the MD11 so I might fix or repair it.I also have an Epson
    QX-10 that I would like to get running with CP/M Plus but the hascii
    keyboard does not map correctly and some files do not run when I use a
    TD0 file I found .I was also trying to find a hard disk for the QX-10 .
    - Gary

  3. Re: Morrow MD-11 documents

    > William J. Leary Jr. wrote:
    > > I have a full set of docs for the MD-11 machine (I've got the machine too,

    for
    > > that matter).
    > > ((..omitted..))
    > > So, did I just miss the MD-11 documents in my search, or are they really

    not
    > > out there? If they're not, I'll scan these in and send them to someone

    (who
    > > should that be?) who can post them online for any one who needs them.

    > I am also looking for any technical manuals for the Morrow MD11,as I
    > have a shaky hard drive and was looking to find schematics or service
    > data for the MD11

    Well, that's another count in favor of doing the scans.

    As to the hard drive, I've had two or three of them (of various capacity) in
    the machine. I seem to recall, after formatting (where the geometry was
    requested) they worked fine.

    - Bill

  4. Re: Morrow MD-11 documents

    Hello, Gary!

    > (...) I also have an Epson
    > QX-10 that I would like to get running with CP/M Plus but the hascii
    > keyboard does not map correctly and some files do not run when I use a
    > TD0 file I found .I was also trying to find a hard disk for the QX-10 .

    If I remember correctly, there is a Web site with a
    copy of CP/M Plus for the Epson QX-10 by MML Ltd
    (which still exists) somewhere on the Net.

    However, the HASCII keyboard is an American
    peculiarity: as far as I know, it was never used
    on the Japanese, Australian, or European
    versions of the QX-10. So, I am afraid that,
    if you really want to use CP/M Plus on the
    QX-10, you will have to find one with one
    ASCII keyboard first. (Or find how to patch it.)

    (CP/M Plus for the QX-10 was made by an
    English company, and is provided with an
    utility enabling you to select among some
    9 European keyboard setups, but not the
    HASCII (or the JIS, for that matter) keyboard.)

    CP/M Plus was specifically made for
    the Z-800: DRI was hoping to standardize
    on hard disks and multi-tasking. But,
    when the Z-800 failed to appear, they
    dropped the multi-tasking (that exists
    on CP/M-86 Plus). As for hard disks,
    their prices lowered only after the IBM
    Clown. I have never used a CP/M Plus
    system with a hard disk, despite using
    CP/M Plus during 15 years. I added 2
    extra 800 KB drives (1.2MB PC drives)
    to my system. (The QX-10 boot IPL checks
    the density of the drives: I considered
    modifying it, but, without any electronician
    to help me in case something would
    turn bad, I ended by not doing it.)

    Finally, if you are serious about using
    CP/M Plus, I would advise you to get
    a copy of "The Amstrad CP/M Plus"
    by Andrew R.M. Clarke and David
    Powys-Lybbe (which is commonly
    found for 1 or 2 pounds Sterling in UK.)

    Yours Sincerely,
    "French Luser"
    (a fan of the Epson QX-10 and its
    marvelous screen, that I have never