Televideo knowledge base? - CP/M

This is a discussion on Televideo knowledge base? - CP/M ; Hi, I have a Televideo TS-803H that works well until it gets warm when it starts behaving badly. I suspect the caps may have dried out and intend to replace them in the near future. I've done a few web ...

  1. Televideo knowledge base?

    Hi, I have a Televideo TS-803H that works well until it gets warm when
    it starts behaving badly. I suspect the caps may have dried out and
    intend to replace them in the near future. I've done a few web searches
    and unfortunately it seems Televideo users are nonexistant. The only
    thing I have found is one or 2 blury still photos on museum sites. Even
    eBay, as vast as it is, finding this era Televideo related stuff is
    rare.

    Any sites / people dedicated to this machine? I'm o-k since I have the
    original manuals which include schematics, but would be nice to know I
    don't have the only working system in usage.

    On a related note my system is heavily yellowed from UV exposure. I've
    tried about every standard cleaning product and even a bit of
    fingernail polish remover, nothing works. I'm considering painting the
    case. May be blasphomey to some, but what's worse? Different color or
    multiple shades of piss yellow?

  2. Re: Televideo knowledge base?

    >Hi, I have a Televideo TS-803H

    Is that the ADM3a look-alike (everything in one cabinet)?
    Sigh - long long ago when modems were very VERY expensive
    I bought a modem card that retrofit INSIDE the cabinet.
    I bought I have it anymore, or could find it even if I still
    had it. The instructions only said what wires to tap,
    no schematics.
    --

    -- mejeep deMeep ferret!

  3. Re: Televideo knowledge base?

    On 2006-02-08, Jeff Jonas wrote:
    >>Hi, I have a Televideo TS-803H

    > Is that the ADM3a look-alike (everything in one cabinet)?
    > Sigh - long long ago when modems were very VERY expensive
    > I bought a modem card that retrofit INSIDE the cabinet.
    > I bought I have it anymore, or could find it even if I still
    > had it. The instructions only said what wires to tap,
    > no schematics.

    No, you're thinking of the 802. The 803 LOOKS like a bunch of
    separate pieces, but it's all connected together. CPU is vertical
    to the right side of the monitor.

    Haven't used one in many years, and that one didn't have a hard disk.

    --
    roger ivie
    rivie@ridgenet.net

  4. Re: Televideo knowledge base?

    Maybe I shoud start a new thread for this, but I'll try here first.

    My Televideo came with CP/M 2.2. I would like to get CP/M 3.0 / CP/M+
    for it. A quick websearch didn't produce anything. Anyone here have a
    link, and / or a set of disks for copy or sale? Thatnk you in advance.

  5. Re: Televideo knowledge base?

    On 8 Feb 2006 11:06:58 -0800, redrumloa wrote:
    > Maybe I shoud start a new thread for this, but I'll try here first.
    > My Televideo came with CP/M 2.2. I would like to get CP/M 3.0 / CP/M+
    > for it. A quick websearch didn't produce anything. Anyone here have a
    > link, and / or a set of disks for copy or sale? Thatnk you in advance.

    I used to LOVE TeleVideo systems. Had 4 or 5 802hs, several 803s and
    an 803h, and a TPC-1. They all ran on a LAN using a TeleVideo TS-806, with a
    TeleVideo Personal Terminal. I had the only dual-line CP/M based BBS in
    Northern Calif -- running on a pair of TS-802H/20 systems.

    Basically, in order to take full advantage of CP/M+, you must have
    the extra 64k of ram (look on your 803 mb, on one edge will be a row of
    places to insert the needed RAM chips); AND ideally you'll have an 803h,
    since CP/M+ made zero sense without a hard disk. You COULD use CP/M+ if you
    only had 64k of RAM and no hd, but even though it seemed to (subjectively)
    run smoother than the 2.2 when I tried it on one of my 803s, again why
    bother?

    A firm in (I think) Maine used to sell CP/M+ specifically for the
    TeleVideo 803. Unfortunately, it went out of business long ago. I bought one
    of the last copies in the mid-80s and at that time they reported they had no
    more of the manuals for CP/M 3/CP/M+. I no longer recall the name of that
    company.

    I've long ago gave away all my CP/M discs, manuals, books, and my
    TeleVideo equipment, keeping only one TS-803 and the 5.25" boot floppies for
    it. I've just now checked and none of them are CP/M+, sorry. But if you need
    a new CRT for a TS-802, have I a deal for you! It's free -- only you gotta
    pick it up.

    --
    jimbo@sonic.net

    "There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
    those who understand binary, and those who don't."

  6. Re: Televideo knowledge base?

    On 7 Feb 2006 17:26:56 -0800, redrumloa wrote:
    > Hi, I have a Televideo TS-803H that works well until it gets warm when
    > it starts behaving badly. I suspect the caps may have dried out and
    > intend to replace them in the near future. I've done a few web searches
    > and unfortunately it seems Televideo users are nonexistant. The only
    > thing I have found is one or 2 blury still photos on museum sites. Even
    > eBay, as vast as it is, finding this era Televideo related stuff is
    > rare.
    >
    > Any sites / people dedicated to this machine? I'm o-k since I have the
    > original manuals which include schematics, but would be nice to know I
    > don't have the only working system in usage.

    The TeleVideo company was once THE premier mftr of monitors in the
    country (at the peak, something approaching 96% of all the monitors sold by
    other companies were made by TeleVideo), then with the advent of CP/M it
    started in with the 800 series (of which the 803h is one). Hindsight is
    20/20 and all, but heyyy. TeleVideo customer/technical help and advertising
    was sadly lacking (I'm not kidding -- I used to log onto the TeleVideo Tech
    Support BBS in Sunnyvale regularly and quite often helped others there who
    had questions the tech staff couldn't answer). Also -- like so many other
    firms in those early days -- their products were kinda proprietary. Which
    didn't help much. Anyway, as CP/M started to make way for various versions
    of DOS, TeleVideo started making a tower-type system -- I think the last
    model used a '286 CPU. However, it was even more proprietary. And the
    TeleVideo pr budget, as always, was nonexistant.

    Anyway, the TS-803 was a super nice machine, with quarter-height
    floppy drives and a 14" monitor. TeleVideo even offered an optical mouse
    with the 803 (there was a port in back into which it could be plugged). And,
    as far as I can see, the TeleVideo TS-803 keyboards have NEVER been equaled.
    The company made a limited number of TS-803h systems with integal hard
    drives. Plus they made avail kits that people could use to upgrade existing
    803s. Mostly these involved heavy duty power supplies that could supply the
    needed 'lectricity to keep everything running. And, of course, the BIOS was
    modified so as to provide the needed address tables.

    > On a related note my system is heavily yellowed from UV exposure. I've
    > tried about every standard cleaning product and even a bit of fingernail
    > polish remover, nothing works. I'm considering painting the case. May be
    > blasphomey to some, but what's worse? Different color or multiple shades
    > of piss yellow?

    Arghh! You heretic, you. [grin] Seriously, before resorting to
    paint, try using some extremely fine grit emery cloth and/or some rubbing
    compound. I once considered getting an amber CRT tube for my 803s. My
    TPC-1 had an amber tube and looked kewl. Anyway, I could go for a flat
    dark grey 803 with an amber monitor.

    --
    jimbo@sonic.net

    "There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
    those who understand binary, and those who don't."

+ Reply to Thread