Osborne 1 - CP/M

This is a discussion on Osborne 1 - CP/M ; A working Osborne 1 just sold on eBay for $59.99. Are they fairly common? Low interest? This seemed low to me. An AIM-65 will typically be $250 and a KIM-1 just sold for about $450 IIRC. A very nice Altair ...

  1. Osborne 1

    A working Osborne 1 just sold on eBay for $59.99.

    Are they fairly common? Low interest? This seemed low to me. An AIM-65 will
    typically be $250 and a KIM-1 just sold for about $450 IIRC. A very nice
    Altair 8800 for (no surprise) $4,000.

    -- Charlie Springer

  2. Re: Osborne 1

    I bought an O1 on ebay about 3 years ago for $50. The price has been fairly
    constant since then, but you have to weed out the nutcase sellers that try
    to sell you a O1 for $400, or for that matter a used proto board for $139 -
    just because someone supposedly pulled it out of an "Altair".

    Functionally, it's worth more than $50 - as it's MUCH more capable than a
    KIM-1 with it's bare circuit board. But, prices are based on all market
    factors, not just functionality. The KIM-1 was the first of the 6502 line
    of processors (Apples, etc.) so some "collectors" assign a higher value
    based on that. And, of course, the Altair is responsible for the mess we're
    in now. So that gets extra $$.

    -J

    I've had an Osborne since college and it's been a great investment.
    "Charlie Springer" wrote in message
    news:0001HW.C529EA650039CE57F02845B0@news.nw.centu rytel.net...
    >A working Osborne 1 just sold on eBay for $59.99.
    >
    > Are they fairly common? Low interest? This seemed low to me. An AIM-65
    > will
    > typically be $250 and a KIM-1 just sold for about $450 IIRC. A very nice
    > Altair 8800 for (no surprise) $4,000.
    >
    > -- Charlie Springer

  3. Re: Osborne 1

    I think part of the problem is shipping costs! I know I really have to
    think about paying more for shipping than I do for the computer!

    John Crane wrote:
    > I bought an O1 on ebay about 3 years ago for $50. The price has been fairly
    > constant since then, but you have to weed out the nutcase sellers that try
    > to sell you a O1 for $400, or for that matter a used proto board for $139 -
    > just because someone supposedly pulled it out of an "Altair".
    >
    > Functionally, it's worth more than $50 - as it's MUCH more capable than a
    > KIM-1 with it's bare circuit board. But, prices are based on all market
    > factors, not just functionality. The KIM-1 was the first of the 6502 line
    > of processors (Apples, etc.) so some "collectors" assign a higher value
    > based on that. And, of course, the Altair is responsible for the mess we're
    > in now. So that gets extra $$.
    >

    > -J
    >
    > I've had an Osborne since college and it's been a great investment.
    > "Charlie Springer" wrote in message
    > news:0001HW.C529EA650039CE57F02845B0@news.nw.centu rytel.net...
    >> A working Osborne 1 just sold on eBay for $59.99.
    >>
    >> Are they fairly common? Low interest? This seemed low to me. An AIM-65
    >> will
    >> typically be $250 and a KIM-1 just sold for about $450 IIRC. A very nice
    >> Altair 8800 for (no surprise) $4,000.
    >>
    >> -- Charlie Springer

  4. Re: Osborne 1

    Charlie Springer wrote:

    > A working Osborne 1 just sold on eBay for $59.99.

    > Are they fairly common? Low interest? This seemed low to me. An AIM-65 will
    > typically be $250 and a KIM-1 just sold for about $450 IIRC. A very nice
    > Altair 8800 for (no surprise) $4,000.

    It might be that they have less collector value. It might
    also be that there are a lot more of them.

    -- glen

  5. Re: Osborne 1

    > A working Osborne 1 just sold on eBay for $59.99.
    >
    > Are they fairly common?

    In the summer of 2005, I gave away 8 Osborne 1s complete with
    monitors, spare parts and circuit boards, cables, circuit diagrams,
    software and C compilers, manuals etc. etc. with a couple of Kaypros
    thrown in. Completely filled my Cavalier 2-door. Small computer
    museum in Annapolis Royal, NS, was happy to get them.

    I suppose there might have been some scattered folks who would have
    bought a couple but shipping from Nova Scotia would have been a
    stumbling block.

    My wife wrote her master's thesis on an DD 80-col O1 in '92-3 and I
    used one for years as a terminal to log into various remote Unix and
    VMS accounts from my very rural location until we upgraded (?) to an
    XT in '93. I learned C on an O1 and actually managed to get XLisp to
    compile (using a couple of IMHO clever hacks) but it was a learning
    exercise: there was only enough ram left for about 20 lines of lisp
    code.

    I would think it would be a popular platform for CP/M fans because the
    complete circuit diagram for the motherboard is available and the BIOS
    had some interesting hobbyist features as well.

    --
    Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

  6. Re: Osborne 1

    I guess I'm different in that respect.

    If I can buy a space shuttle for $1 and have to pay $1 million to ship it,
    I'd think I had a great deal...

    -J
    "Curtis McCain" wrote in message
    news:4904fe47$0$5468$bbae4d71@news.suddenlink.net. ..
    >I think part of the problem is shipping costs! I know I really have to
    >think about paying more for shipping than I do for the computer!
    >
    > John Crane wrote:
    >> I bought an O1 on ebay about 3 years ago for $50. The price has been
    >> fairly constant since then, but you have to weed out the nutcase sellers
    >> that try to sell you a O1 for $400, or for that matter a used proto board
    >> for $139 - just because someone supposedly pulled it out of an "Altair".
    >>
    >> Functionally, it's worth more than $50 - as it's MUCH more capable than a
    >> KIM-1 with it's bare circuit board. But, prices are based on all market
    >> factors, not just functionality. The KIM-1 was the first of the 6502
    >> line of processors (Apples, etc.) so some "collectors" assign a higher
    >> value based on that. And, of course, the Altair is responsible for the
    >> mess we're in now. So that gets extra $$.
    >>

    >> -J
    >>
    >> I've had an Osborne since college and it's been a great investment.
    >> "Charlie Springer" wrote in message
    >> news:0001HW.C529EA650039CE57F02845B0@news.nw.centu rytel.net...
    >>> A working Osborne 1 just sold on eBay for $59.99.
    >>>
    >>> Are they fairly common? Low interest? This seemed low to me. An AIM-65
    >>> will
    >>> typically be $250 and a KIM-1 just sold for about $450 IIRC. A very nice
    >>> Altair 8800 for (no surprise) $4,000.
    >>>
    >>> -- Charlie Springer

  7. Re: Osborne 1

    Funny that I found this thread just now... I was just about to put the one
    I have on eBay. Looking over the prices, I think I would be very happy to
    get $50 out of the deal. I figure the shipping is going to be about $25 -
    $30, however, as it's pretty heavy.

    I guess while I'm here I might as well ask if anyone is interested. It's not
    the best specimen, but it's not bad either. Drive A will not read (it just
    spins and gets a boot error), but drive B seems to work well. You can boot
    from drive B: if you press . It has a set of disks that
    someone back in 2004 from this group gave me.

    I would mainly like to give this a good home as I am trying to clear out all
    my old computer "collection".

    Cheers,
    -Commander Dave

    "Charlie Springer" wrote in message
    news:0001HW.C529EA650039CE57F02845B0@news.nw.centu rytel.net...
    >A working Osborne 1 just sold on eBay for $59.99.
    >
    > Are they fairly common? Low interest? This seemed low to me. An AIM-65
    > will
    > typically be $250 and a KIM-1 just sold for about $450 IIRC. A very nice
    > Altair 8800 for (no surprise) $4,000.
    >
    > -- Charlie Springer

  8. Re: Osborne 1

    Commander Dave wrote: *** top-posting fixed ***
    > "Charlie Springer" wrote:
    >
    >> A working Osborne 1 just sold on eBay for $59.99.
    >>
    >> Are they fairly common? Low interest? This seemed low to me. An
    >> AIM-65 will typically be $250 and a KIM-1 just sold for about
    >> $450 IIRC. A very nice Altair 8800 for (no surprise) $4,000.

    > Funny that I found this thread just now... I was just about to
    > put the one I have on eBay. Looking over the prices, I think I
    > would be very happy to get $50 out of the deal. I figure the
    > shipping is going to be about $25 - $30, however, as it's
    > pretty heavy.
    >
    > I guess while I'm here I might as well ask if anyone is
    > interested. It's not the best specimen, but it's not bad either.
    > Drive A will not read (it just spins and gets a boot error), but
    > drive B seems to work well. You can boot from drive B: if you
    > press . It has a set of disks that someone
    > back in 2004 from this group gave me.
    >
    > I would mainly like to give this a good home as I am trying to
    > clear out all my old computer "collection".

    You will get a better result if you mention where you live.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  9. Re: Osborne 1

    I'm located in North Alabama. I just finished putting it on eBay which has
    the details.
    http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI....m=160295939559
    -Commander Dave

    "CBFalconer" wrote: *** bottom-posting fixed ***
    > You will get a better result if you mention where you live.
    >
    > Commander Dave wrote: *** top-posting restored ***
    >> Funny that I found this thread just now... I was just about to
    >> put the one I have on eBay. Looking over the prices, I think I
    >> would be very happy to get $50 out of the deal. I figure the
    >> shipping is going to be about $25 - $30, however, as it's
    >> pretty heavy.
    >>
    >> I guess while I'm here I might as well ask if anyone is
    >> interested. It's not the best specimen, but it's not bad either.
    >> Drive A will not read (it just spins and gets a boot error), but
    >> drive B seems to work well. You can boot from drive B: if you
    >> press . It has a set of disks that someone
    >> back in 2004 from this group gave me.
    >>
    >> I would mainly like to give this a good home as I am trying to
    >> clear out all my old computer "collection".

    >> "Charlie Springer" wrote:
    >>> A working Osborne 1 just sold on eBay for $59.99.

+ Reply to Thread