Advent RAMdisk - CP/M

This is a discussion on Advent RAMdisk - CP/M ; Hi All, Would like to get a copy of the schematic for the Advent RAMdisk addon for the Kaypro. Will try to clone this one also. Don...

  1. Advent RAMdisk

    Hi All,

    Would like to get a copy of the schematic for the Advent RAMdisk addon
    for the Kaypro. Will try to clone this one also.

    Don

  2. Re: Advent RAMdisk

    On 5 Feb 2006 13:50:18 -0800, "Don" wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >Would like to get a copy of the schematic for the Advent RAMdisk addon
    >for the Kaypro. Will try to clone this one also.
    >
    >Don

    I second this. It is a mod I'm interested in doing.

    I am also looking to add realtime clock to my Kaypro 10 (83 version
    board)

    Brian

  3. Re: Advent RAMdisk

    On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 19:42:26 -0500, Brian Lyons
    wrote:

    >On 5 Feb 2006 13:50:18 -0800, "Don" wrote:
    >
    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >>Would like to get a copy of the schematic for the Advent RAMdisk addon
    >>for the Kaypro. Will try to clone this one also.
    >>
    >>Don

    >I second this. It is a mod I'm interested in doing.
    >
    >I am also looking to add realtime clock to my Kaypro 10 (83 version
    >board)
    >
    >Brian

    Same here. Though a copy of that portion of the bios that drives it
    would also help to reverse engineer a logical equivilent.

    Allison

  4. Re: Advent RAMdisk

    I agree with Allison 100%. Having the code would be a big help. I've
    reverse engineered the the K10 ROM and now I'm going to tackle the
    TurboROM.

    Don

  5. Re: Advent RAMdisk

    On 6 Feb 2006 08:41:55 -0800, "Don" wrote:

    >I agree with Allison 100%. Having the code would be a big help. I've
    >reverse engineered the the K10 ROM and now I'm going to tackle the
    >TurboROM.
    >
    >Don

    I have TurboRom eprom installed and I understand that it supports
    realtime clock. This should solve the BIOS support issue.

    My approach is to copy portion of 84 version of Kaypro 10 schematic,
    which relates to realtime clock, and build a small daughter board.

    I have extra PIO chip and the MM58167 real time clock chip.

    Now I just need the spare time :-)

    Brian

  6. Re: Advent RAMdisk

    Brian Lyons wrote:

    > I am also looking to add realtime clock to my Kaypro 10 (83 version
    > board)

    ISTR a little daughterboard based RTC for Z80 machines which plugged
    into the CPU socket (you would move the CPU to a new socket on the
    board). I think it's still installed in my K10, but I remember using it
    with a PCPI Applicard as well. Should be simple to duplicate if I can
    dig my way into where the old Kaypro is buried, err stored.

  7. Re: Advent RAMdisk

    Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
    > Brian Lyons wrote:

    >> I am also looking to add realtime clock to my Kaypro 10 (83 version
    >> board)

    > ISTR a little daughterboard based RTC for Z80 machines which plugged
    > into the CPU socket (you would move the CPU to a new socket on the
    > board). I think it's still installed in my K10, but I remember using it
    > with a PCPI Applicard as well. Should be simple to duplicate if I can
    > dig my way into where the old Kaypro is buried, err stored.

    If you want to duplicate that, you can just build a GIDE interface card.
    It includes an RTC and installs the same way.

    --
    David Griffith

  8. Re: Advent RAMdisk

    On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 07:59:12 -0500, "Steven N. Hirsch"
    wrote:

    >Brian Lyons wrote:
    >
    >> I am also looking to add realtime clock to my Kaypro 10 (83 version
    >> board)

    >ISTR a little daughterboard based RTC for Z80 machines which plugged
    >into the CPU socket (you would move the CPU to a new socket on the
    >board). I think it's still installed in my K10, but I remember using it
    >with a PCPI Applicard as well. Should be simple to duplicate if I can
    >dig my way into where the old Kaypro is buried, err stored.

    If would be really handy to have a photo of top & bottom of board.

    Thanks,

    Brian

  9. Re: Advent RAMdisk

    On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:07:09 GMT, dgriffi@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave
    Griffith) wrote:

    >Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
    >> Brian Lyons wrote:

    >>> I am also looking to add realtime clock to my Kaypro 10 (83 version
    >>> board)

    >> ISTR a little daughterboard based RTC for Z80 machines which plugged
    >> into the CPU socket (you would move the CPU to a new socket on the
    >> board).

    One was called Kenmore. I've got the manual around here somewhere ...

    Bill

  10. Re: Advent RAMdisk

    wrote:

    >Brian Lyons wrote:
    >
    >> I am also looking to add realtime clock to my Kaypro 10 (83 version
    >> board)

    >ISTR a little daughterboard based RTC for Z80 machines which plugged
    >into the CPU socket (you would move the CPU to a new socket on the
    >board). I think it's still installed in my K10, but I remember using it
    >with a PCPI Applicard as well. Should be simple to duplicate if I can
    >dig my way into where the old Kaypro is buried, err stored.

    PLU*Perfect did handyman which was a Z80 piggy back that allow for the
    handyman rom, clock and host interface (for hard disk or ramdisk).

    Allison

  11. Re: Advent RAMdisk

    wild bill wrote:

    >> Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

    >>> ISTR a little daughterboard based RTC for Z80 machines which plugged
    >>> into the CPU socket (you would move the CPU to a new socket on the
    >>> board).

    > One was called Kenmore. I've got the manual around here somewhere ...

    Thanks! That was the very one.

+ Reply to Thread