z80pack release 1.17 - CP/M

This is a discussion on z80pack release 1.17 - CP/M ; available at http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/ This version is integrated with John Kichury's frontpanel library, final release v2.0, as available at sourceforge. Included are fully functional emulations of the Altair 8800 (2D frontpanel) and IMSAI 8080 (2D and 3D frontpanel) basic machines. That ...

  1. z80pack release 1.17

    available at http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/

    This version is integrated with John Kichury's frontpanel library, final
    release v2.0, as available at sourceforge.

    Included are fully functional emulations of the Altair 8800 (2D
    frontpanel) and IMSAI 8080 (2D and 3D frontpanel) basic machines.
    That is Z80 CPU, 64KB RAM memory, frontpanel and a SIO board connected to
    the terminal. Both machines run the original standalone software as it
    came with the machines, well almost, the Altair BASIC versions require a
    8080 CPU and won't work with this release.

    Both machines can be operated from the frontpanel, as described in the
    Operation Manuals for this machines. So it is possible to toggle in small
    programs via frontpanel and run them. Of course this emulations include a
    'cheat' to load software right into memory at program start ;-)

    The Z80 CPU emulation was enhanced to generate the necessary bus status
    for the frontpanels. Both components are conditional compiled, so the bus
    status can be compiled into a machine without the frontpanel support,
    might be useful to connect it to some other I/O hardware. This also was
    done to still have the fast CP/M system emulation without any performance
    impact.

    Both system emulations require some sort of UNIX system for the graphics
    display. It should be possible to get it working on Windows systems with
    cygwin, but this is not done yet. The 3D IMSAI model requires a hardware
    accelerated graphics card, the display is rendered with OpenGL. Usage of
    graphic resources is moderate, will work OK with motherboard embedded
    graphics chipsets, like those from Intel.

    There are some updated screenshots done with the final release of the
    software at http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/screenshots.html

    The CP/M system emulation has some improvements here and there too, all
    internal things to isolate hardware components better for usage in other
    emulated systems.

    The Z80 cross assembler has a bug fix in the token parser.

    I would like to thank John Kichury for the frontpanel library and the 2D
    and 3D frontpanel models, the 3D IMSAI machine is a blast. John not only
    makes his software available as Open Source, he also was very helpful with
    my attempts to use the library and patiently answers all my questions.

    Enjoy,
    Udo Munk

  2. Re: z80pack release 1.17

    On Oct 21, 7:23*am, Udo Munk wrote:
    > available athttp://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/
    >
    > This version is integrated with John Kichury's frontpanel library, final
    > release v2.0, as available at sourceforge.

    Udo, thanks for all the great work you are putting into this project.
    There are many bits and pieces floating around, but filtering out the
    gems and packaging things the way you do really lowers the barrier to
    getting an emulation running something interesting.

    John's front panel interface is really stunning too.

  3. Re: z80pack release 1.17

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 07:38:57 -0700, frustum@pacbell.net wrote:

    > On Oct 21, 7:23*am, Udo Munk wrote:
    >> available athttp://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/
    >>
    >> This version is integrated with John Kichury's frontpanel library, final
    >> release v2.0, as available at sourceforge.

    > Udo, thanks for all the great work you are putting into this project.

    You are welcome. I enjoy it my self a lot, I like this kind of
    programming.

    > There are many bits and pieces floating around, but filtering out the
    > gems and packaging things the way you do really lowers the barrier to
    > getting an emulation running something interesting.

    I'm trying to preserve as much of the old software I loved to use way back
    then as I can. I believe that building emulations that can run this
    software without fiddling with rare parts is a good way to archive this.
    Also I hope that younger generations enjoy playing with this machines,
    much could be learned because this machines are relative simple to
    understand, and almost no hardware kits to play with are available
    nowadays.

    > John's front panel interface is really stunning too.

    Definitely. And as a programmer I can say it is a pleasure to use such a
    well designed library in some project.

    Udo Munk

  4. Re: z80pack release 1.17

    Udo Munk ha scritto:

    > available at http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/

    I can point out that there are no top level makefile; not much a problem
    for the standard hacker, in few minutes one get what directory should be
    compiled first, but for the general (l)user, isn't so easy (aside that
    Z80pack isn't intended for general users...)

    Hope to have given an useful suggestion,
    Dott. Piergiorgio.

    P.s. the blinkenlighten emulation is *really* cool.... once added to
    SIMH will give the actual "programming environment" of 1950s and 1960s
    dinos

  5. Re: z80pack release 1.17

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:06:03 +0200, dott.Piergiorgio wrote:

    > Udo Munk ha scritto:
    >
    >> available at http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/

    > I can point out that there are no top level makefile; not much a problem
    > for the standard hacker, in few minutes one get what directory should be
    > compiled first, but for the general (l)user, isn't so easy (aside that
    > Z80pack isn't intended for general users...)

    I could be easier if one would read the included build instructions ;-)
    I still need to update the web site tho, right now it probably requires a
    little bit of patience which 'general users' don't have anyway.

    > Hope to have given an useful suggestion,
    > Dott. Piergiorgio.

    Yes, thank you, I'll see what I can do about this for the next release.

    > P.s. the blinkenlighten emulation is *really* cool.... once added to
    > SIMH will give the actual "programming environment" of 1950s and 1960s
    > dinos

    I hope it will motivate others to work on similar things, this stuff shows
    that it can be done and that the result is *really* cool.

    Udo Munk

  6. Re: z80pack release 1.17

    Udo Munk ha scritto:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:06:03 +0200, dott.Piergiorgio wrote:

    >> I can point out that there are no top level makefile; not much a problem
    >> for the standard hacker, in few minutes one get what directory should be
    >> compiled first, but for the general (l)user, isn't so easy (aside that
    >> Z80pack isn't intended for general users...)

    > I could be easier if one would read the included build instructions ;-)

    Agree on this, but I can suggest that README-frontpanel.txt as filename
    don't suggest "compiling instruction here" ?

    > I still need to update the web site tho, right now it probably requires a
    > little bit of patience which 'general users' don't have anyway.

    Indeed. but at least pointing to the DL directory tree helps, if one
    understand what is what (as I and, I guess, everyone who follow c.o.cpm )

    >> P.s. the blinkenlighten emulation is *really* cool.... once added to
    >> SIMH will give the actual "programming environment" of 1950s and 1960s
    >> dinos

    > I hope it will motivate others to work on similar things, this stuff shows
    > that it can be done and that the result is *really* cool.

    another suggestion I can do is studying the sources of the various
    electronic circuit simulation/analysis programs, esp. the part whose
    parse the circuit schematics, whose I surmise can give the insights
    needed for extending the "programming enviroment" emulation back to
    1930s & 1940s (of course I refer to the various wiring panels used in
    very early computers, for example the IBM 60x & 40x )

    Best regards from Italy,
    Dott. Piergiorgio.

  7. Re: z80pack release 1.17

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:27:00 +0200, Udo Munk wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:06:03 +0200, dott.Piergiorgio wrote:
    >
    >> Udo Munk ha scritto:
    >>
    >>> available at http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/

    >> I can point out that there are no top level makefile; not much a problem
    >> for the standard hacker, in few minutes one get what directory should be
    >> compiled first, but for the general (l)user, isn't so easy (aside that
    >> Z80pack isn't intended for general users...)

    > I could be easier if one would read the included build instructions ;-)

    After you build the frontpanel based machines following the instructions
    in ~/z80pack-1.17/doc/README-frontpanel.txt...

    >> P.s. the blinkenlighten emulation is *really* cool.... once added to
    >> SIMH will give the actual "programming environment" of 1950s and 1960s
    >> dinos

    try the following for some interesting blinkenlights:

    Run the IMSAI emulation and load the 8K BASIC interpreter with:
    imsaisim -xbasic8k.hex

    Before entering any program you first need to run the command NEW, else
    the BASIC interpreters will destroy them self, see manual.

    Then enter this short program:
    NEW
    10 FOR I=1 TO 10
    20 PRINT SIN(I); COS(I)
    30 NEXT I
    RUN

    Another one:
    NEW
    10 FOR I=255 TO 0 STEP -1
    20 OUT 255,I
    30 NEXT I
    RUN

    Enjoy,
    Udo Munk

  8. Re: z80pack release 1.17

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:52:34 +0200, dott.Piergiorgio wrote:

    > Udo Munk ha scritto:
    >> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:06:03 +0200, dott.Piergiorgio wrote:

    >>> I can point out that there are no top level makefile; not much a problem
    >>> for the standard hacker, in few minutes one get what directory should be
    >>> compiled first, but for the general (l)user, isn't so easy (aside that
    >>> Z80pack isn't intended for general users...)

    >> I could be easier if one would read the included build instructions ;-)

    > Agree on this, but I can suggest that README-frontpanel.txt as filename
    > don't suggest "compiling instruction here" ?

    Yes you are right, the filename doesn't suggest this, I'll write some
    better instructions for the next release.

    >> I still need to update the web site tho, right now it probably requires
    >> a little bit of patience which 'general users' don't have anyway.

    > Indeed. but at least pointing to the DL directory tree helps, if one
    > understand what is what (as I and, I guess, everyone who follow c.o.cpm
    > )

    Yep, please have a look at the doc directory and read the .txt files
    included there.

    >>> P.s. the blinkenlighten emulation is *really* cool.... once added to
    >>> SIMH will give the actual "programming environment" of 1950s and 1960s
    >>> dinos

    >> I hope it will motivate others to work on similar things, this stuff
    >> shows that it can be done and that the result is *really* cool.

    > another suggestion I can do is studying the sources of the various
    > electronic circuit simulation/analysis programs, esp. the part whose
    > parse the circuit schematics, whose I surmise can give the insights
    > needed for extending the "programming enviroment" emulation back to
    > 1930s & 1940s (of course I refer to the various wiring panels used in
    > very early computers, for example the IBM 60x & 40x )

    As long as it is digital and flips bits from 0 to 1 and from 1 to 0 it
    can be done on 21s century equipment, no problem. Another thing are analog
    computers, those probably are harder to emulate exactly.

    > Best regards from Italy,
    > Dott. Piergiorgio.

    Udo Munk

  9. Re: z80pack release 1.17

    Hello Udo,

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:23:12 +0200, Udo Munk wrote:

    >available at http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/

    Thanks for your Info.

    Rolf

  10. Re: z80pack release 1.17

    On Oct 21, 2:06*pm, "dott.Piergiorgio"
    wrote:
    > Udo Munk ha scritto:
    >
    > > available athttp://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/

    > I can point out that there are no top level makefile; not much a problem
    > for the standard hacker, in few minutes one get what directory should be
    > compiled first, but for the general (l)user, isn't so easy (aside that
    > Z80pack isn't intended for general users...)
    >
    > Hope to have given an useful suggestion,
    > Dott. Piergiorgio.
    >
    > P.s. the blinkenlighten emulation is *really* cool.... once added to
    > SIMH will give the actual "programming environment" of 1950s and 1960s
    > dinos

    The FrontPanel library is partly integrated with SIMH already.
    Download the whole package from
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/frontpanel/ which has a modified
    version of SIMH. Siimulations are included with the package for the
    following systems:

    IMSAI 2D and 3D
    Altair
    DCC D-116
    Data General Nova 1200, Nova3

    I say "partly integrated" because full switch functionality isn't
    there and will take some simh code restructuring to do so. I added a
    new "panel" command which will enable/disable the front panel. Type
    "help panel" in the SIMH console for details.

    The IMSAI and Altair simulation that Udo provided has accurate front
    panel switch operation.

    - John Kicury

  11. Re: z80pack release 1.17

    wrote:
    > Udo Munk ha scritto:
    >
    > > available athttp://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/

    > Hope to have given an useful suggestion,
    > Dott. Piergiorgio.
    >
    > P.s. the blinkenlighten emulation is *really* cool.... once added to
    > SIMH will give the actual "programming environment" of 1950s and 1960s
    > dinos

    The FrontPanel library is already partly integrated with SIMH with a
    new “panel” command attaching front panels. Download the package from
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/frontpanel/ and the included
    simulations for the following systems are done with a modified version
    of SIMH.

    Altair
    IMSAI 2D and 3D versions
    Data General Nova 1200 and Nova 3
    Digital Computer Controls DCC-D116

    Screenshots are at http://sourceforge.net/project/scree...roup_id=238132

    I say “partly integrated” because all of the front panel switch
    functions are not yet fully functional, but the lights are pretty
    accurate when instructions are executing. More work is needed for full
    integration.

    Apologies if this post is a duplicate as I didn’t see it appear in my
    reader after 24 hours.

    Regards,

    John Kichury

+ Reply to Thread