Can you get CP\M shell accounts? - CP/M

This is a discussion on Can you get CP\M shell accounts? - CP/M ; Well I know for OpenVMS you can get accounts by telnetting to places like deathrow.vistech.net. Can you do the same with CP\M? ps:sorry I know I wasnt verry specific but I am in a rush....

  1. Can you get CP\M shell accounts?

    Well I know for OpenVMS you can get accounts by telnetting to places
    like deathrow.vistech.net. Can you do the same with CP\M?

    ps:sorry I know I wasnt verry specific but I am in a rush.

  2. Re: Can you get CP\M shell accounts?

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 16:26:58 -0700, nolanh wrote:

    > Well I know for OpenVMS you can get accounts by telnetting to places
    > like deathrow.vistech.net. Can you do the same with CP\M?
    >
    > ps:sorry I know I wasnt verry specific but I am in a rush.

    You can telnet to a MP/M system at www.unix4fun.org at ports 4050 and 4051.
    CP/M would be possible too, but single user system and so it has one
    console only.

    Udo Munk

  3. Re: Can you get CP\M shell accounts?

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 16:26:58 -0700 (PDT), nolanh@ymail.com wrote:

    >Well I know for OpenVMS you can get accounts by telnetting to places
    >like deathrow.vistech.net. Can you do the same with CP\M?
    >
    >ps:sorry I know I wasnt verry specific but I am in a rush.

    The easiest way to get a "CP\M shell account" is to install and run an
    emulator on your local PC.

    Allison

  4. Re: Can you get CP\M shell accounts?

    How can I get a MP/M account on unix4fun.com?

  5. Re: Can you get CP\M shell accounts?

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 08:13:43 -0700, nolanh wrote:

    > How can I get a MP/M account on unix4fun.com?

    You don't need an account, just telnet to port 4050 or 4051. If you get
    disconnected immediately the port is in use already, otherwise you are
    dropped to the MP/M command line, which is similar to the CP/M one.

    Udo Munk

  6. Re: Can you get CP\M shell accounts?

    On Oct 7, 5:36*am, Udo Munk wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 08:13:43 -0700, nolanh wrote:
    > > How can I get a MP/M account on unix4fun.com?

    > You don't need an account, just telnet to port 4050 or 4051. If you get
    > disconnected immediately the port is in use already, otherwise you are
    > dropped to the MP/M command line, which is similar to the CP/M one.
    >
    > Udo Munk
    > --
    > The real fun is building it and then using it...

    Thanks it works now, I was confused becouse it started out blank.

    2 more questions
    1.what programming languages are there for MP\M(or atleast on
    unix4fun.org's one)?
    2.Can everyone else use the files you make on MP\M(Once again just on
    unix4fun.org's one)?

  7. Re: Can you get CP\M shell accounts?

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 16:28:02 -0700, nolanh wrote:

    > On Oct 7, 5:36*am, Udo Munk wrote:
    >> On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 08:13:43 -0700, nolanh wrote:
    >> > How can I get a MP/M account on unix4fun.com?

    >> You don't need an account, just telnet to port 4050 or 4051. If you get
    >> disconnected immediately the port is in use already, otherwise you are
    >> dropped to the MP/M command line, which is similar to the CP/M one.
    >>
    >> Udo Munk
    >> --
    >> The real fun is building it and then using it...

    > Thanks it works now, I was confused becouse it started out blank.

    Well, that is how the old machines work, they won't care if you switch
    your terminal off and on. Hit return to get the command line prompt and
    see, where the last user left the terminal port.

    > 2 more questions
    > 1.what programming languages are there for MP\M(or atleast on
    > unix4fun.org's one)?

    Anything but C++ and Java. Actually the mounted disks include assemblers
    only, if you want some other language I would have to mount disks with
    that.

    > 2.Can everyone else use the files you make on MP\M(Once again just

    on
    > unix4fun.org's one)?

    Yes, MP/M doesn't have user logins and the filesystem protection is very
    week. You can assign a password to a file, if you do "sdir a:" you'll see
    some password protected commands, because otherwise users tend to kill the
    machine ;-) But please be aware that this password protection is very
    week, close to non existent.

    As Allison said, download the thing from http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/
    (or another emulation) and install it on some UNIX or Windows system for
    your self.

    Udo Munk