Televideo TPC-I GSX-80 implementation ? - CP/M

This is a discussion on Televideo TPC-I GSX-80 implementation ? - CP/M ; Does anybody know something special about the GSX-80 implementation of the Televideo TPC-I (yes, it's a portable CP/M computer similar to the Osborne 1) - what was supported (graphics on screen ? or just a printer ?), also what floppy ...

  1. Televideo TPC-I GSX-80 implementation ?

    Does anybody know something special about the GSX-80 implementation of
    the Televideo TPC-I (yes, it's a portable CP/M computer similar to the
    Osborne 1) - what was supported (graphics on screen ? or just a printer
    ?), also what floppy disk capacity this computer had ?
    Thanks in advance for any hint. Collecting infos also at my blog.

    --
    * A blog about vintage computers and CP/M - http://www.z80.eu/blog/index.php

  2. Re: Televideo TPC-I GSX-80 implementation ?

    > Does anybody know something special about the GSX-80 implementation of
    > the Televideo TPC-I (yes, it's a portable CP/M computer similar to the
    > Osborne 1) - what was supported (graphics on screen ? or just a printer
    > ?), also what floppy disk capacity this computer had ?
    > Thanks in advance for any hint. Collecting infos also at my blog.

    The TPC-I I used could do graphics on screen.

    My floppies appear to be double sided, 40 track, 18 SPT, 256 byte
    sectors, MFM, interleaved 3.

    De

  3. Re: Televideo TPC-I GSX-80 implementation ?

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 09:43:41 -0500, Dennis Boone wrote:
    > > Does anybody know something special about the GSX-80 implementation of
    > > the Televideo TPC-I (yes, it's a portable CP/M computer similar to the
    > > Osborne 1) - what was supported (graphics on screen ? or just a printer
    > > ?), also what floppy disk capacity this computer had ?
    > > Thanks in advance for any hint. Collecting infos also at my blog.

    > The TPC-I I used could do graphics on screen.
    >
    > My floppies appear to be double sided, 40 track, 18 SPT, 256 byte
    > sectors, MFM, interleaved 3.

    Right. The TPC-1 could do graphics on its screen. Not only GSX
    graphics, either, if you've the original manual for the TPC-1, I b'lieve
    there is a z80 routine listed in it for viewing .RLE graphics. The only
    downside would seem to be that smallish 9" amber screen. The floppies are
    5.25" DSDD 360k capacity. If the (rare) aux HD is installed, there will be
    only one floppy.

    If you have one and find the keyboard kinda rinky to use, you can
    also use a keyboard from a full size TeleVido XT series pooter. MUCH easier
    to use (I've yet to find a keyboard with keys as nice as those on full size
    TeleVideo computers), it's also a lot better looking. It's a lot more stable
    and sturdy and it plugs right into the kb port on the TPC-1.

    --
    jimbo@sonic.net
    Linux: gawk, date, finger, wait, unzip, touch, nice, suck, strip, mount,

  4. Screen size (was: Televideo TPC-I GSX-80 implementation ?)

    Jim Bianchi wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > If you have one and find the keyboard kinda rinky to use, you can
    > also use a keyboard from a full size TeleVido XT series pooter.
    > MUCH easier to use (I've yet to find a keyboard with keys as nice
    > as those on full size TeleVideo computers), it's also a lot better
    > looking. It's a lot more stable and sturdy and it plugs right into
    > the kb port on the TPC-1.

    Reminds me how I used to have no trouble with the 9" Kaypro
    screen. Nowadays I need a 19 inch monitor.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  5. Re: Televideo TPC-I GSX-80 implementation ?

    > If you have one and find the keyboard kinda rinky to use, you can
    > also use a keyboard from a full size TeleVido XT series pooter. MUCH easier
    > to use (I've yet to find a keyboard with keys as nice as those on full size
    > TeleVideo computers), it's also a lot better looking. It's a lot more stable
    > and sturdy and it plugs right into the kb port on the TPC-1.

    All those years ago, I managed to train my fingers to type on the
    crappy portable keyboard. What I couldn't train for was to ignore the
    15 kHz from the flyback. Blasted gadget got nicknamed the TeleSqueak,
    and regularly whacked upside the head.

    De

+ Reply to Thread