Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511 MathProcessor ? - CP/M

This is a discussion on Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511 MathProcessor ? - CP/M ; Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511 Math Processor ? This is on the Compupro SS-1 card which I'm using in my IMSAI system. I like to upgrade my system to include any Libraries that ...

  1. Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511 MathProcessor ?

    Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511 Math
    Processor ?
    This is on the Compupro SS-1 card which I'm using in my IMSAI system.
    I like to upgrade my system to include any Libraries that may be
    available. Then I could program with Fortran or any other compiler
    which is supported. I'm currently using machine code to fiddle with
    programming this. The manual only has test code for this card and
    doesn't mention any reference to a Library being available for CP/M.
    So I was hoping it was created separately during that time.

    thanks,
    =Dan

    --
    [ Pittsburgh 250th --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/ ]

  2. Re: Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511 Math Processor ?

    Hello, "Ragooman"!

    (Your nickname is funny, since it sounds like "Stew-Man" in French...)

    > Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511 Math
    > Processor ?
    > This is on the Compupro SS-1 card which I'm using in my IMSAI system.
    > I like to upgrade my system to include any Libraries that may be
    > available. Then I could program with Fortran or any other compiler
    > which is supported. I'm currently using machine code to fiddle with
    > programming this. The manual only has test code for this card and
    > doesn't mention any reference to a Library being available for CP/M.
    > So I was hoping it was created separately during that time.

    Well, obviously you never got the message that I sent you a few months ago,
    regarding your S-100 Bus Web pages.

    And you don't seem to read the comp.os.cpm Newsgroup, since I published the
    following the 26 June 2001, in answer to Lee Hart:

    >> Do YOU know if there was ever any support for the 9511 in any of the
    >> standard CP/M software (MBASIC, Supercalc, Turbo Pascal, etc.)?
    >>
    >> Lee A. Hart

    > Lee,
    >
    > Would you consider DR Draw as a "standard CP/M software" ?
    >
    > (In case you don't remember, it runs under CP/M 2.2, CP/M Plus,
    > and various 16 bit versions of CP/M. Later, it became GEM DRAW.)
    >
    > If you agree, then you would have the surprise (well, I had it 15 years
    > ago), to find one library of 8080 subroutines using this Floating Point

    chip

    and, the 23 June 2008, in reply to one "Dan Roganti", I wrote the following:

    > Haha! Interesting! Many years ago, the 26 June 2001, I published a
    > message ("The 9511 math chip") where I explained that I had found a
    > library of ADM-9511 routines in a Digital Research program, but did
    > not know for which computer it had been done... (And I have a strong
    > interest in this program.)

    and some other things to answer his questions.

    He never replied...

    So, I am not going to do the same mistake twice.

    Answer this message, and I will decide if I disassemble this AMD-9511
    Floating-Point subroutine library. (I am sure that you don't know that I
    have worked on several 8080 FP packages.)

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  3. Re: Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511 Math Processor ?

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 05:33:23 -0700, ragooman wrote:

    > Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511 Math
    > Processor ?
    > This is on the Compupro SS-1 card which I'm using in my IMSAI system.
    > I like to upgrade my system to include any Libraries that may be
    > available. Then I could program with Fortran or any other compiler
    > which is supported. I'm currently using machine code to fiddle with
    > programming this. The manual only has test code for this card and
    > doesn't mention any reference to a Library being available for CP/M.
    > So I was hoping it was created separately during that time.
    >
    > thanks,
    > =Dan

    Pascal MT+ includes a library for using the AM9511. I can remember that we
    used a library for Fortran-80 too, but I don't know where it came from and
    I don't have it. Probably it was provided by Kontron for one of their
    systems we used for picture analysis (software FP much too slow).

    Udo Munk

  4. Re: Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511Math Processor ?

    On Sep 17, 9:01 am, "Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France"
    wrote:

    > > Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511 Math
    > > Processor ?

    > Well, obviously you never got the message that I sent you a few months ago,
    > regarding your S-100 Bus Web pages.
    >
    > And you don't seem to read the comp.os.cpm Newsgroup, since I published the
    > following the 26 June 2001, in answer to Lee Hart: [snipped]
    >
    > and, the 23 June 2008, in reply to one "Dan Roganti", I wrote the following:
    >[snipped]
    >
    > Answer this message, and I will decide if I disassemble this AMD-9511
    > Floating-Point subroutine library. (I am sure that you don't know that I
    > have worked on several 8080 FP packages.)
    >
    > Yours Sincerely,
    > Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

    Roche, stop using comp.os.cpm to abuse people who post here for help,
    but who don't want to read every word you've ever posted. The word
    "harangue" comes to mind to describe your posts. Since English is not
    your primary language, here's Web links to definitions:

    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/harangue
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/harangue

    Now, although you have been told many times you are rude and
    obnoxious, you continue to post in this fashion. So, to see you
    complain that your posts have not been read is both amusing and
    ironic.

    Herb Johnson
    retrotechnology.com

  5. Re: Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511Math Processor ?

    On Sep 17, 1:10*pm, Udo Munk wrote:

    > Pascal MT+ includes a library for using the AM9511. I can remember that we
    > used a library for Fortran-80 too, but I don't know where it came from and
    > I don't have it. Probably it was provided by Kontron for one of their
    > systems we used for picture analysis (software FP much too slow).
    >
    > Udo Munk
    > --
    > The real fun is building it and then using it...

    I guess I was looking from the wrong direction. After some additional
    searching, I also found that the math chip libraries are actually
    contained in the compiler and not in CP/M. I did find two so far, MS
    Fortran 80 and Pascal/MT. I see that all one has to do is set an
    option to indicate whether the math chip is installed in your system.
    Then it will generate the additional code to access this chip for each
    math function you put in your code.

    thanks !
    =Dan

    [ Pittsburgh 250th --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/ ]

  6. Re: Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511Math Processor ?

    wrote:
    > Hello, "Ragooman"!
    >

    > Well, obviously you never got the message that I sent you a few months ago,
    > regarding your S-100 Bus Web pages.

    I'm afraid I missed that one.

    > And you don't seem to read the comp.os.cpm Newsgroup,

    I don't read every newsgroup there is on the Web

    > since I published the following the 26 June 2001, in answer to Lee Hart:

    As I mentioned in my other post, after some additional searching--in
    this newsgroup and the web--, I noticed that the FPU libraries are
    actually contained in the compiler and not in CP/M as I expected.

    > and, the 23 June 2008, in reply to one "Dan Roganti", I wrote the following:
    >
    > > Haha! Interesting! Many years ago, the 26 June 2001, I published

    As I said, I don't frequent every newsgroup on a daily basis.
    I'm more inclined to using mailing lists.
    But I now found that thread again, it was an interesting read.

    > and some other things to answer his questions.
    > He never replied...
    > So, I am not going to do the same mistake twice.

    I also found there is a very good repository at this website
    http://www.cpm.z80.de/binary.html

    =Dan
    --
    [ Pittsburgh 250th --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/ ]

  7. Re: Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511Math Processor ?

    Udo Munk wrote:
    > ragooman wrote:
    >
    >> Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511
    >> Math Processor? This is on the Compupro SS-1 card which I'm
    >> using in my IMSAI system. I like to upgrade my system to include
    >> any Libraries that may be available. Then I could program with
    >> Fortran or any other compiler which is supported. I'm currently
    >> using machine code to fiddle with programming this. The manual
    >> only has test code for this card and doesn't mention any
    >> reference to a Library being available for CP/M. So I was hoping

    > it was created separately during that time.
    >
    > Pascal MT+ includes a library for using the AM9511. I can remember
    > that we used a library for Fortran-80 too, but I don't know where
    > it came from and I don't have it. Probably it was provided by
    > Kontron for one of their systems we used for picture analysis
    > (software FP much too slow).

    The following is a partial extract from the documentation of my
    floating point package. If you can get hold of the DDJ issue you
    will get an accurate source. Mine was lost in a disk crash about
    10 years ago. The following is from a retype done by M. Roche some
    years ago, and has never been checked. If suitably requested I can
    put the package up for download. Note that this is not an FP
    processor, but native 8080 code. Minor improvements were made on
    the published code, and it was used for many years in embedded
    medical systems. All code, except i/o routines, was pure and
    re-entrant.

    "Falconer Floating Point Arithmetic"
    by Charles Falconer,
    formerly Chief Instrumentation Engineer, Yale University
    in DDJ, March 1979, p.4 and April 1979, p.16

    This software package provides full floating point arithmetic
    capability for 8080, 8085, and Z80-based machines, with very
    little speed penalty over use of integer arithmetic. The system
    can handle all 16-bit integer values (treated either as positive
    integers in the range 0 to 65535, or as signed integers in the
    range -32768 to 32767) without any loss of information, yet the
    extended range (approximately 10^-38 to 10^+38) convenience of
    floating point is directly available, together with various
    mathematical functions (i.e., logarithms, exponentials, etc). I
    hope that this publication will discourage use of integer
    arithmetic in various interpreters, compilers, etc.
    .... more ...

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  8. Re: Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511Math Processor ?

    On Sep 17, 10:32*pm, CBFalconer wrote:

    > "Falconer Floating Point Arithmetic"
    > by Charles Falconer,
    > * *formerly Chief Instrumentation Engineer, Yale University
    > in DDJ, March 1979, p.4 and April 1979, p.16
    >

    > *[mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
    > *[page]:
    > * * * * * * Try the download section.

    Chuck,

    This is what I've been experimenting with recently. I used the
    assembly code that is mirrored on Herb's webpage,
    http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/float.html
    I then wanted to get my system to run faster (relatively speaking) so
    I can run some programs which were more math intensive. The past few
    months, Herb was helping me find the Compupro SS-1 to upgrade my IMSAI
    to get ready for VCF--which was last weekend.
    I found a website which has the Pascal/MT compiler and this supports
    the math chip directly.

    =Dan

  9. Re: Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511 Math Processor ?

    > > > Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 or AM9511 Math
    > > > Processor ?

    > > Well, obviously you never got the message that I sent you a few months

    ago,
    > > regarding your S-100 Bus Web pages.
    > >
    > > And you don't seem to read the comp.os.cpm Newsgroup, since I published

    the
    > > following the 26 June 2001, in answer to Lee Hart: [snipped]
    > >

    > > Yours Sincerely,
    > > Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

    > Roche, stop using comp.os.cpm to abuse people who post here for help,
    > but who don't want to read every word you've ever posted. The word
    > "harangue" comes to mind to describe your posts. Since English is not
    > your primary language, here's Web links to definitions:
    >
    > http://www.thefreedictionary.com/harangue
    > http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/harangue
    >
    > Now, although you have been told many times you are rude and
    > obnoxious, you continue to post in this fashion. So, to see you
    > complain that your posts have not been read is both amusing and
    > ironic.
    >
    > Herb Johnson
    > retrotechnology.com

    Hi Personally I do not mind Emmanuel's style, he can be blunt but if you
    just read what he says (without taking offence) it is often factually
    correct. I think that he is a very valuable person to this group since he
    has a great knowledge of computer systems.
    This style may make some people think of Aspergers which we all have to some
    degree. And it may be helpful to notice your own reactions when he presses
    some of your buttons.

    I also enjoy reading your messages Herb, although I don't respond to them or
    post here much.

    Alan
    (my 2cent's worth)

  10. Re: Would anybody know of any CP/M Libraries for the i8231 orAM951...

    Group: comp.os.cpm Date: Wed, Sep 17, 2008, 11:46am (CDT-2) From:
    herbrjohnson@gmail.com (Herb*Johnson)

    script:

    > The word "harangue" comes to
    >mind to describe your posts.
    >
    >Since English is not your primary
    >language, here's Web links to definitions:
    >
    >http://www.thefreedictionary.com/harangue
    >http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/harangue

    Hehe! Oh Herb! This is such a sweetly subtle jibe, (since most French
    probably understand 'harangue') I couldn't help noting that it accuses
    Mr. Roche of the same flaw he declares of others.

    Good work! Thanks!

    salaam,
    dowcom

    To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom". i.e.:
    dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

    --
    http://community.webtv.net/dowcom/DOWCOMSAMSTRADGUIDE

    MSWindows is television, Linux is radar.

+ Reply to Thread