Re: CP/M Newsreader? - CP/M

This is a discussion on Re: CP/M Newsreader? - CP/M ; > Message-ID: billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) (Bill Gunshannon) wrote: > Yeah, looks like Usenet was around long before what people think of > as the INTERNET. I have been doing Email and reading news since 1980. > I didn't have my ...

  1. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    > Yeah, looks like Usenet was around long before what people think of
    > as the INTERNET. I have been doing Email and reading news since 1980.
    > I didn't have my first INTERNET connected account until 1988 and that
    > was through a government contrator I worked for.

    I first used email, usenet, ftp, telnet and nfs via what I was told
    was "the internet" in 1987 at Uni.

    I was once interviewed by one of those consumer survey people; one
    of their questions was "how long have you used the internet". I
    replied "since 1987". "1997...." they wrote down. "No, nineteen
    *eighty*-seven" I replied.

    --
    J.G.Harston - jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk - mdfs.net/User/JGH
    05:10:36, 18-Nov-2008 - RISC OS time rolls over to &5000000000

  2. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    On Sep 12, 4:02*pm, j...@arcade.demon.co.uk (Jonathan Graham Harston)
    wrote:

    > billg...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    >
    > > Yeah, looks like Usenet was around long before what people think of
    > > as the INTERNET. *I have been doing Email and reading news since 1980..
    > > I didn't have my first INTERNET connected account until 1988 and that
    > > was through a government contrator I worked for.

    > I first used email, usenet, ftp, telnet and nfs via what I was told
    > was "the internet" in 1987 at Uni.
    >
    > I was once interviewed by one of those consumer survey people; one
    > of their questions was "how long have you used the internet". I
    > replied "since 1987". *"1997...." they wrote down. *"No, nineteen
    > *eighty*-seven" I replied.

    Which University was this, Mr. Harston?
    Are you sure it wasn't called ARPAnet?

  3. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    On Oct 23, 10:52 pm, Greegor wrote:
    > On Sep 12, 4:02 pm, j...@arcade.demon.co.uk (Jonathan Graham Harston) wrote:

    > > I first used email, usenet, ftp, telnet and nfs via what I was told
    > > was "the internet" in 1987 at Uni.

    > > I was once interviewed by one of those consumer survey people; one of their questions was "how long have you used the internet". I replied "since 1987". "1997...." they wrote down. "No, nineteen *eighty*-seven" I replied.

    > Which University was this, Mr. Harston?
    > Are you sure it wasn't called ARPAnet?

    It could equally well have been NSFNet, and in any event would have
    been NSFNet in another year or two when DARPANet was shut down.

    Or, depending on which Uni, a regional university internet that
    connected into either the NSFNet or DARAPNet backbone.

    The original statement was not what is was *named*, but what it was
    *called*. Its likely that any Internet Protocol based internetwork
    would have been called "the internet" at a Uni in the late 80's,
    whether in the US, Canada, UK, or Oz.

+ Reply to Thread