Re: CP/M Newsreader? - CP/M

This is a discussion on Re: CP/M Newsreader? - CP/M ; > Message-ID: billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) (Bill Gunshannon) wrote: > Which makes sense as Usenet pre-dates the INTERNET and most likelu IP > as well. :-) Usenet is pre-1969 ? -- J.G.Harston - jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk - mdfs.net/User/JGH 05:10:36, 18-Nov-2008 - RISC OS ...

  1. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    > Which makes sense as Usenet pre-dates the INTERNET and most likelu IP
    > as well. :-)

    Usenet is pre-1969 ?

    --
    J.G.Harston - jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk - mdfs.net/User/JGH
    05:10:36, 18-Nov-2008 - RISC OS time rolls over to &5000000000

  2. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    In article <080909235506@arcade.demon.co.uk>,
    jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk (Jonathan Graham Harston) writes:

    > billg999@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    >> Which makes sense as Usenet pre-dates the INTERNET and most likelu IP
    >> as well. :-)

    > Usenet is pre-1969 ?

    Don't confuse the INTERNET with its very limited predecesor, ARPANET.
    Prior to the late 70's, early 80's access to the INTERNET was severly
    restricted and even being at a location that was connected didn't
    guarantee you would be allowed access. That is why many schools (and
    other organizations, but mnostly schools) were on BITNET. General access
    came much later. I was hired to make The University of Scranton the
    first location in all of NE Pennsylvania to be "on the INTERNET". That
    was in 1989. The first local ISP was several years later. Usenet
    goes back to when connecting was done using UUCP, at night, over the
    phone system. Access only required that you find someone willing ot
    peer with you and you could afford the phone calls. :-)

    I just looked it up. "The INTERNET" remained a DARPA project until
    1975. At that point, access was still strictly limited. This is
    was the same time that UUCP was developed. USENET islisted as being
    "officially" started in 1979. "The INTERNET" is still considered
    a DARPA Project. BITNET starts in 1981. CSNET is also formed at this
    time. TCP/IP is published in 1982. In 1983 ARPANET adopts TCP/IP.
    CSNET/ARPANET gateway is put in place. ARPANET splits off MILNET.
    NSFNET starts in 1986. Access is still greatly restricted. Requests
    to join NSFNET require justification. etc. etc.

    Yeah, looks like Usenet was around long before what people think of
    as the INTERNET. I have been doing Email and reading news since 1980.
    I didn't have my first INTERNET connected account until 1988 and that
    was through a government contrator I worked for.

    The public INTERNET is much younger than most people realize. Computer
    communications is at least twice as old.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

+ Reply to Thread